1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Large poster framing?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blurr#7, Mar 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Got a quote form Michaels for more than $500! Just wanted to know if anyone has info on cheaper framing shops. Poster is 76" x 24" thanks!

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You could try Davis Hardware. I'm not sure they will be cheaper, but they almost certainly will be better. That's a pretty big size. Around $500 is about what I'd expect to pay anywhere for that size.

http://www.davishardware.com/

You might also be able to find a place that sends frames to your house and you have put the poster in the frame yourself. Once you get past the shipping and hassle, its probably better to have someone local do it.

1 person likes this.
  3. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

I'm assuming you're getting the Jordan poster framed. I got mine done at the hobby lobby near the city centre. They always have ads for "half off" custom frames so make sure you mention that. They also directed me to a shop where I could get the plexiglass which I had to purchase and give to them before hand since they can't do regular glass for that size.

The whole thing cost me a little over $200 for a basic looking black frame.

1 person likes this.
  4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Have you looked at some online peeps? :confused:

Do you absolutely have to have it framed? Maybe they can re-print and just put it on protected plastic-covered lined photograph paper. :cool: Nowadays, you don't need a frame, you can even just mount it on styrene foam (http://www.adoramapix.com/app/products/mounting).

1 person likes this.
  5. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I got a huge poster framed a long time ago. I went into Houston Art Supply and they helped me matte it up on a huge piece of foam core and black border matte. It actually cost only the materials since the employee helped me do it there.

1 person likes this.
  6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

double post.

#6 magnetik, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  7. SwoLy-D

That's what SHE said. :eek:

8. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I knew the dimensions would give it away lol! Michael's is having the same 50% sale but even with that it was crazy expensive.

Well I have all my other vinatge posters framed so I'd like to have this one too. I did research some online peeps but this thing is so long (underhand over the plate for you!) they don't have any off the shelf frames for it. I'm gonna try what Magnetik recomended, HAS is down the road from here. Reps for all!

1 person likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Framing is expensive, generally. My father's an artist so he needs lots of frames. Fortunately, he's also a carpenter, so he makes his own. Honestly, I don't know how frame shops sustain the prices they do, because my father's costs (minus labor, but really it isn't that hard when you have the equipment) are a 1/10th of the retail price.

And, no, he won't frame other people's stuff. I was just mentioning it because this thread reminds me how expensive frame shops are. I'm sure there's a good reason they're expensive that I'm not appreciating, but I get sticker-shock regardless.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

hit up an art student

12. SwoLy-D

SEEMS LEGIT.

Have you used those? :confused:

Also, do they accept them on your phone instead of printing them?

< tree_hugger >Save the trees!< /tree_hugger >

13. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, see, this thread title spoke to me, and it said someone was trying to frame one of the posters on this BBS, and a large one at that.. who are the largest posters here? And do we mean large posters as in volume of posts? Or as in the actual size of the poster himself? And what exactly are we trying to frame him for?

Watch yer backs, is all I'm sayin'...

14. SwoLy-D

That is an insult...

Really, you shouldn't.

I know lots about soccer and I always make sure I speak my mind.

I love Aaron Brooks and I'm glad he's back.

OK, fine. I'll answer for BOTH those questions. ;)

DD

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes, we've used them many times. They're for specific types of frames so read the fine print.

I have no idea if they'll accept them on your phone. Never tried.