1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laptop Security

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by franchise403, Nov 4, 2011.

1. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I was looking for some recommendations for a program that will wipe a laptop clean after entering in a wrong password after so many times? Any ideas?

I am a loan processor and since the field is moving away from being tied to the office I am much more mobile which is good and bad. The bad is if my laptop gets stolen I have clients personal information there for the taking.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You need Windows 7 and BitLocker.

1 person likes this.
  3. franchise403

Thanks! I like that it's free as well. :)

4. Master Baiter

No prob. Are you independent or do you have an IT staff that you can go to? There are several different ways to skin the BitLocker cat.

5. franchise403

It's me and the mortgage broker so no IT department.

6. Master Baiter

Ok, just don't be stupid and write down your code and leave it with your laptop. You don't want it easily available so that thieves can get in.

You also want to back up the key (the long encryption string) on a USB drive but keep that separate from your laptop. Those codes and keys are important because once that thing is encrypted, if you lose/forget them you are screwed. There is no BitLocker recovery system.

BitLocker is a powerful tool but you have to be smart about it.

7. franchise403

Thanks MB...I'll be certain to keep two separate copies of the encryption key/pw just in case I forget them. If I keep the pw's with my laptop then I deserve to have everything stolen. :grin:

Thanks for your help.

8. Master Baiter

No problem! It's amazing how many people write their passwords on a piece of paper and either tape it to their laptop or keep it under the keyboard, etc.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Good stuff. Hey, what about LoJack or any other tracking device for the laptop, MB? What do you think about that?

I mean, he was asking about wiping it clean, but what about finding the hardware again? :confused:

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

11. Master Baiter

I haven't used anything like LoJack but what I do know about it is that it is software based. As a Microsoft partner we have the ability to sell Windows InTune which is a cloud based management tool. I know one of the things that we have heard is that InTune will have eventually have a remote wipe feature which I think is super cool. In addition to the clients that we support with it, I currently use it for the few family members and close friends that still think I'm their help desk ;)