1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laptop problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blake, Oct 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

So I have a 5 year old IBM thinkpad x31 laptop, and when I turn it on, the computer powers on, but nothing comes up on the screen...it is just blank. In addition, hitting CTL+ALT+DELETE does nothing and none of the function commands work either, so I know it isn't an issue with the screen going out. Basically, it powers on and off only by pressing the power button, and it turns on and off quickly.

Nothing actually works but there is one green light on and I can hear it running.

Any ideas? Also, is it worth trying to get it fixed (thinking maybe the motherboard?) or should I just buy a new laptop?

Thanks in advance

2. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

hook it up to an external monitor. if that works, put it against the sun light when it boots. if you can see a faint shadow windows, it might be the backlighting giving out. they usually have a lifespan of around 5 years of heavy use. a new screen cost about 150 bux on ebay.

3. Blake

Appreciate the advice.

however, if it was just the screen, then wouldn't the computer respond to CTR/ALT/DEL and reset? it doesn't respond to anything

4. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

it does something, but you might not see what's going on. CTR/ALT/DEL doesn't necessarily restart the computer in windows anymore. it just gives you an option to restart or other things.

if you can see the POST screens, thinkpads have a diagnostic mode... i forgot what f key it is, but it test your system.

5. Blake

No, it won't sleep (function+f4), it always restarts when I hit CAD twice (xp os) or at least makes a beeping noise. It isn't responding to any keys or commands. Pretty sure it isn't just a burnt out lcd.

Thanks for your help...appreciate it

6. Chopped

Chopped Member

can you turn on the think light with the fn keys?

7. Blake

8. Chopped

Chopped Member

then it should be a mobo related issue, if i recall correctly the bios controls the thinklight function.

9. Blake

well that sucks

might as well buy a new laptop...don't know if I trust a refurbed motherboard and new ones are a couple of hundred bucks

10. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

my parents have a laptop repair shop =), been in Houston since the mid-80s

vicscanfix.com
    $175 flat rate motherboard repair.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

This has happened to me before. Repair guy said it cost 300$ to repair it. I bought a new laptop. Have you ever spilled something on your laptop?