1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance "Big Puma" Berkman Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Roy got one so it's only fitting Lance get one too, great guy in the clubhouse and community.

I know I was hard on him the last few years but doesn't mean I was pulling for him every AB he took, good luck sir and can't wait to see you in the series vs Roy.

[​IMG]

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Great player, better person.

Hope he comes back and finishes his career in houston

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Incredible singer as well.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Arguably my favorite-ever Astro. Great guy, great interview, great player, and an incredible approach at the plate. One of the only people who could make me, even on occasion, cheer for the Yanks. I liked Roy, but loved Lance and will miss him a lot more.

Still my favorite Lance moment (VIDEO):
    http://tinyurl.com/256xst4

Even though we know how that game ultimately turned out, I'll never forget the euphoria of that homer off Chris Carpenter, of all people. That was the moment I truly believed. Goosebumps.

Also, his 2004 postseason gets lost in the shuffle because of how hot Beltran was at the outset, but Lance was every bit as strong. He played big when the games mattered, and as far as I'm concerned, was the MVP of the Astros' best team in club history. Nothing but good memories here...

5. ThaShark316_28

I'll never forget the home run in game 5 of the NLCS in 2005. Even though we lost that night, that HR was so dramatic and everyone in my house was amped up.

Lance BERKMAN all day!

6. echu888

echu888 Member

incredible and hilarious that he was able to nickname himself. modern day yogi berra, great ballplayer.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Greatest Astros Player?

Biggio and bagwell might have had better numbers, but berkman was much much better in the playoffs and got to a world series.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Consistent, clutch, clean (in the steroid era) and loved being a Houston Astro.

His numbers mostly speak for themselves... but he was a tremendous hitter for this organization. Add to the fact that he was able to hold his own in the OF (even playing CF one year) before eventually taking over 1B after Baggy retired.

I would have no problem with them retiring his jersey... even though we do seem to retire a lot of jerseys as an organization that is still relatively young and hasn't won a whole lot (same goes for Roy).

9. YaosDirtyStache

So did Biggio and Bagwell...????

10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

lance was great for houston, good luck fat elvis!

11. BleedsRocketRed

My favorite Berkman moment was that grand slam in 8th inning(?) of game 4 of the Division Series against the Braves. The game that ended up going 18 innings...

12. Mashing

Mashing Member

I remember that slam like it was yesterday. It was during a Texans game and they kept flashing the score on the board. When they put the score up after Berkman hit that slam the place went nuts. I never thought the game would continue another couple hours after the Texans game ended. Man it was awesome to see one of the best playoff games of all time. Clemens pitching 3 scoreless in relief was something to behold.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Berkman was a big part of why they got there. Bags was done at that point and biggio was ok, but no lance.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Berkman played in the Astrodome. This is a sad day.

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Puma was a great Astro, a native Houston guy, and a heck of a hitter for so many years. It's too bad this team wasn't able to support him with young talent in his later years in the way it supported Biggio & Bags when they weren't able to carry the team anymore, necessitating his departure. I hope he ultimately returns to Houston and retires as he should, as an Astro and in the Hall of Fame.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really liked Big Puma but I can't root for him in a Yankees uniform.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I can. :grin:

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Egghead

Egghead Member

Hope he plays well in NY

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Glad I got to see that grand slam this past week at MMP...probably the only exciting moment of any game I've attended this year.

I am curious though...and maybe this is a bone-headed question...but does Roy and Lance's body of work as Astros warrant their numbers being retired? Lance ranks near the top in several offensive categories, but ultimately his work is overshadowed by Bagwell. Although he is one of the best switch hitters ever. Oswalt was one shy of club record for wins. Back to back 20 game game winner. Among the active leaders for wins. I think Oswalt makes a better case, but I can't see them retiring one and not the other.