1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Berkman says Wrigley Field is ‘one of the worst places in baseball’

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BigBird, Apr 17, 2013.

1. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

His second quote is fantastic. Had no idea Puma hated Wrigley so much

2. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i remember lance running off the field when he saw lighting in the distance at wrigley.. fastest he had ever run in an astros uniform..

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He made similar comments when he was an Astro. He's booed heartily there.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Most people consider Wrigley a dump. Outside of it being historic, I hear it doesn't have much going for it.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, what kind of history is there other than playing on the same field as some of the best players of all-time did in the 20s. Does his taint get tingly when he plays at Chase Field because they won a championship there?

6. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

saw a fight there, that was pretty awesome, never seen one at an astros game

7. Nook

Nook Member

Meh living in Chicago and the love affair with Wrigley here is really strained. The place is historic, mostly because it has been around for so long. However, it is the best stadium PERIOD when it comes to the ability to see the entire skyline. The stadium is also in harmony with the surroundings better than any in the country. It just FITS. The bars, etc around Wrigly make it almost an adult theme park.

However I know where Lance is coming from, the Cubs have not won **** for 100 years. Why keep Wrigley over the Tigers old stadium or some of the others. The ACTUAL stadium is a dump. The seats are made for smaller people, very uncomfortable... there are parts of the stadium literally falling apart and the clubhouse and associated amenities are just TERRIBLE.

It isn't discussed but many of the players do not like playing in Wrigley because it is so old, dirty, smelly and cramped.

Personally Wrigley is unique, I hope they keep it, but I can see why players like Berkman can say the history is over rated. If they can tear down old parks in Detroit and in NY they can in Chicago.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Everyone jokes that the White Sox games are dangerous... but REALLY it is worse at Wrigley... it is a huge party with drunks and idiots, fights and public urination....

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The history is there, but the place really is a dump. From the looks of the support braces in the grandstands, I'm actually surprised it's still standing.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was just making fun of the juxtaposition of his remarks. If I was a baseball player, I think it'd be a lot cooler to play on a field that Babe Ruth played on rather than playing on a field where championships were won.

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

When Berkman was a Stro and we were in Chicago. In between innings a Chicago fan threw an unopened Twinkie at him. He responded by picking it up and eating it.

Classic Lance.

12. DreamRoxCoogFan

FWIW, it's a fun place to watch a baseball game just because of the atmosphere- unlike any other stadium I've been to.

13. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Wrigley Field is the second most over-rated ballpark in the majors. The atmosphere is no different there than at any other ballpark when it's full except that it's uglier and smells worse than most. Now, as Nook said, OUTside the ballpark is a different story. That's a great atmosphere and begs the question, why leave such a good time to sit in a mediocre ballpark and watch bad baseball?

As always, Fenway Park is the absolute worst...in every aspect. It's an absolute ****hole filled with a bunch of ignorant, racist scumbags. The two single worst experiences I sat through in the majors and that includes a number of visits to the old Vet in Philadelphia.

Too bad they tore down Tiger Stadium, that place was infinitely better than either one of those other two over-rated piles of bricks.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Well, Lance did go 2-4 with a HR during a no-hitter at the house that Ruth built.

And Ruth only played 2 games at Wrigley in the final year of his career, since they were in opposite leagues, and the Cubs didn't go to the WS.

So, I suppose that wouldn't be as cool.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's a dump.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

As a Cubs fan, I don't find Wrigley to be all that great. Historic, sure, but it's also old, small, dirty, etc. It badly needs renovation, which is on the way now. My favorite ball parks have to be PNC and AT&T. Those two should be the standard for how ball parks are made. In general regarding sports facilites, I've never found historic stadiums/arenas/ballparks to be all that great. When I went to MSG, I actually didn't find anything great about it.

Regarding the renovations

Those seem to be the biggest things regarding the renovation agreement, aside from a lot of the interior stuff like new locker rooms, etc.

This is probably what I like best about Wrigley. The fact that it's in a neighborhood -- Wrigleyville -- really enhances it.