1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers might be in some trouble now...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Jun 7, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Thanks to Tyronn Lue being a complete moron!

When the Lakers were successful in this game, it was when Lue was on Iverson, and the Sixers struggled to get him the ball. Well, I don't expect that to work the next game, now that Lue has admitted he cheated to deny Iverson the ball according to the Sporting News.

How to keep the ball out of the hands of one player, when four others are trying desperately to put it there? Cheat.

"I did everything I could," Lue says. "I was grabbing him, holding him. He is the MVP of the league, and when you are guarding a guy like that you have to throw everything you can at him."

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/sean_deveney/20010606.html

You know, Tyronn, if in real life you get away with cheating... it's not a bright idea to then go tell everyone right after it happened, esp. if there are several more games left.

[​IMG]

GO SIXERS!!!

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited June 07, 2001).]

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What an IDIOT! [​IMG]

Hey Jazz cheat, but atleast they are smart enough not to admit it.

hehehe

This is some funny stuff. I wonder what the refs will be calling the next game [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When they interviewed Iverson after the game and mentioned how Lue's defense slowed him down, he made a pained face and said, "He was holding me the whole time!" Funny.

------------------
    "You sanctimonious philistines, who scoff at me!"

4. PhiSlammaJamma

You know what though. Allen Iverson had a tough time driving past him too. Lue may not be able to contain him, but he's clearly the guy who should be guarding him. He's the only one who has a chance. And does anybody want to credit Jackson for making that move. Pretty good move, huh?

The Lakers discovered something else though. This is Shaq's series. Mutombo was able to contain him, but Now that the Lakers know what to do (see 3rd quarter and beyond), dikembe may be fouling out a lot quicker than this last game. Shaq was bringing it hard. I expect him to go hard all 4 next game.

It's game of adjustments. Let's see what happens in game 2!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PSJ,

Shaq went off when Dikembe sat with early foul trouble -- not late. Then, when Deke came back, he wasn't as aggressive (and the Lakers didn't get him the ball as much). I think that if they had stayed with Shaq, they would have won.

Was anyone else shocked that Mutombo lasted so long with 5?

------------------
    "You sanctimonious philistines, who scoff at me!"

6. noemi

noemi Member

I did not see the game, my question is regarding Kobe because he only have 15 points. Was his shooting rusty or did the Sixers played good defense on him. Thanks -

------------------

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Aw, man you missed one heck of a game. It was nothing about "rust." McKie and Raja Bell played tremendous defense. I remember this one play where Bell stripped the ball from Kobe and ran off for the breakaway. Instead of running after him, Kobe looks at the referee.

What a loser.

They replayed the steal and Bell didn't even brush Kobe.

------------------
    "They couldn't shoot, rebound, or pass, but other than that, they played great!"

-Bill Walton

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Finals bound. That Kobe look at the ref thing was the most blatant I'm not going to play D thing I've ever seen. He was literally right next to the kid, and then he just stands there. He looked like an idiot. I still think he's one helluva player, but you are right, that was embarassing for everyone in basketball. It's one thing if you are out of the play or have help, but when you are the last guy and you can actually stop him, you don't just let him go for the easy two. It shocked me.

Also, on Kobe, I think the defense stayed in front of him just like Lue did to iverson. He couldn't get to the basket and had to rely on rising up over the little guys. And those shots just didn't fall. That could have been rust, but for the most part they just kept him out of the lane. Thing of beauty. Both coaches were brilliant. Kobe was kind of a slacker. Phil even ripped him for letting another fast break layup go right by him, when he could have sent the kid to the floor. He played like Walt Williams last night.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited June 07, 2001).]

9. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I don't know how many times, I saw Kobe going up for the shot, but having to double clutch before shooting it, because Mckie, Snow, or Bell were right in his face. They played outstanding defense on Kobe. Now if one of them could do a better job on Fox and Mutumbo stays out of foul trouble to slow Shaq down, the Sixers definetely could win this series.
    The best moment of the game was Kobe and Shaq's look of disbelief and pain during the waning seconds of the game and after the game. It was a joy to watch them suffer, after watching them be so cocky in during the game. Kobe was flexing his muscles and smiling after they came out of the gates to a 16-4 lead. Shaq was taunting and bouncing up the floor while talking trash after everyone of his dunks. I loved seeing them get defeated and having their faces droop. Another thing that was a joy to watch was Iverson hitting jumpers in Kobe's face, that put to rest the fact that Kobe can stop Iverson because of that one time he held the Answer scoreless in a half. Phil had to bring in a bench warmer in Lue to guard Iverson because Kobe couldn't get the Job done. HAHAHAHA!!!

------------------
    "See they pick and pick and pick. Man they picked me to death."
    -Steve Francis on the Utah Jazz

10. gram!

gram! Member

lue didn't give up any secrets, he was holding on to iverson like a winning lottery ticket. it was plain as day. and as for "keeping up" with ai's speed, i could keep up with ai if i was riding the pine and relaxin' for almost 3 damn quarters. then, in the ot, lue started huffin for air, and what happens? ai takes care of bidness. motumbo always holds shaq down, and kobe is a p*ssy. put a little body on him, and he gets rattled. kobe is s-o-f-t!!!! by the by, vescy is a r****d, and ahmad probably had to read "i do" off a cue-card at his own damn wedding!! i HATE nbc.

------------------

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I agree Rimmy, no question. If they stay with Shaq and he stays agressive they win. I'm not even rooting for that to happen, but it was undeniable. He's a force when he wants to be. Even if they double that gives Either Kobe or Fisher an open shot. And yes, he abused the subs to no end.

got to give Geiger credit though. Even though he was abused He kept them in it by shooting the ball. He was needed.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Geiger played a huge role in the win. It HAS to be frustrating for those guys, Mutombo, Geiger, McCulloch....getting constantly barreled over by Shaq, taking shoulders in the chest, just getting beat up, and then to add insult to injury - they get all the fouls called on them.

Geiger played it smart on the offensive end. They need him to hit shots from the perimeter and draw O'Neal out.

The Lakers should have kept going to Shaq. Although he hit a bit of a cold streak in the latter portions of the game with his free throw shooting. Maybe Jackson told them to lay off a bit. But they could have fouled Mutombo out that way. Then the hapless McCulloch would have had to go in.

Kobe sure didn't step up like I thought he would. Yeah, he hit a couple down the stretch, but the Sixers stifled him a bit in the end.

My favorite play:

Iverson crosses up Lue, steps back, rises, hits the 20 footer. Lue falls, Iverson steps directly over him, glaring. I LOVE THIS GAME. Just to say, "Even though you're holding me, you can't HOLD me."

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

13. Timing

Timing Member

Everybody could see that Lue was holding Iverson. It was no big secret.

At least we have a series now. I do expect the Lakers to come out something ferocious tonight and put a big hurting on the Sixers but at least we've got a team with some real heart and composure in there against the Lakers.

------------------
    The ox is slow but the Earth is patient.