1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laid Off... Any Advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pringles, Oct 2, 2023.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

Got the news last week that I was getting laid off abruptly. The company was going through layoffs the last few months, but I was told that I'd be fine given my performance and being part of an important client engagement (I'm a management consultant).

Spent the rest of the week and the weekend either reaching out to my network or eating like ****.

Any advice on staying sane? I have a few other ventures that will keep me busy, but my productivity and motivation are shaky right now.

Exiled, ArtV, OkayAyeReloaded and 5 others like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Step 1: Listen to Still Fly by Big Tymers.
    Step 2: Eat some good ass food with some good ass wine.
    Step 3: Take a few days to think about what you really want to do.
    Step 4: Drink some more.
    Step 5: Argue in the GARM over whether the Rockets can waive KPJ right now or if they have to wait.
    Step 6: Think about how you just spent a bunch of time drinking and arguing over whether or not the Rockets can waive KPJ right now, and realize that this is not who you want to be.
    Step 7: Pursue the item from Step 3 that you want to do.

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Don't forget to file for unemployment, that pocket change is better than no income.

JeeberD, Pringles, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

I feel you dawg. Hang in there.

Pringles and Jontro like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

• Treat the new job search like a job, get up early, shower, get dressed. Search using Indeed, Monster, LinkedIn.
    • Take breaks, go for walks, have lunch with family members and friends.
    • Check out whether a major church in the area has a "Between Jobs Ministry". There will be other job hunters there, plus people that can give you advice, help you with your resume. Also job search teams that can help provide you with motivation, advice, and accountability. Occasionally a job posting or company looking for what you do. Plus, its a weekly opportunity to get out of the house, get dressed up, and interact with people.
    • Network. Reach out to everyone you know. Past co-workers. Past managers. Fellow job seekers. Update your LinkedIn profile. Consider writing an article/blog.
    • Contact former competitors.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bummer, bruh. Chin up and don't stop.

Update your resume and LinkedIn. Everyone uses LinkedIn, it's super important. I used this guy to revamp everything last year and was blown away by offers.

fattz, ArtV, ima_drummer2k and 2 others like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Layoffs aren't meant to be personal even when it feels like it. My company recently had a reduction in force where a lot of good people were axed and not backfilled. Sometimes it's a matter of one guy/gal looking at the salary list and chopping folks at random. He even fired the person he brought in when he joined a half a year ago...

Take this as a break from what you've been doing. Allow yourself to mourn a set number of days. Introspect on what you like and don't like about your career. Make it an appointment if you feel like you'll slip further. I had a period after college where I didn't work a year or two. It can become habit forming if you get discouraged, so retain any positive productive energy towards living the life you want.

fattz, Pringles, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good luck, OP. It's threads like this that make me damned glad I've been retired for years.

Pringles, ryan_98 and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

On the bright side, you can enjoy the post season. You'll land on your feet bro, but take some time to have a mental reset.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope it will turn out a blessing in disguise for you and you will enjoy your next professional adventure more than the previous one. All the best.

fattz, Pringles, ryan_98 and 4 others like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that and some good advice here. As a owner in a small it’s been decades since I was laid off but we’ve lost projects and had projects stopped for a variety of reasons which for a small company might mean I don’t work for awhile.

as others have said take stock of your life, your skills and your what direction you want your life to go. This might be an opportunity to make a
    Career change if you feel your skills and life would be better in another direction.

Also take time to build up your own skills. There is a lot of free content out there on YouTube and other sources to help learn new job and life skills.

In general for those working this is also a good
    Reminder to always have a cushion and to save for situations like this.

Pringles, ryan_98 and Invisible Fan like this.
  12. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that, others mentioned great advice for the job hunt and process.

Getting good sleep, workouts, mental and physical health focus all are helpful during the job hunt. Using a recruiter and setting job hunt goals each day work as well.

Also depending on your situation side hustles or gig jobs can help provide short term if needed, depending on your skillsets.

For a long term approach, it's also good to learn, build marketable skillets and increase investing knowledge so once you're working you can greatly reduce worrying about a job in the future. Good luck and God bless.

rocketsjudoka, Pringles and NewRoxFan like this.
  13. Pringles

Pringles Member

Ah yes - I do remember your post about this on another thread. Definitely a good look.

ChaptGPT definitely helps out a lot with writing the bullet points thankfully.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Pringles

Pringles Member

Yep - this round of layoffs (been happening since Agust) has definitely just been based on random metrics and not based on performance which is a shame.

AroundTheWorld and Invisible Fan like this.
  15. Pringles

Pringles Member

Thanks, everyone for the advice! Lots of good gems so far. Day 8 and already have had several contacts with hiring managers. Hoping for the best and using this time to get back to the gym/eating healthy!

JeeberD, fattz, NewRoxFan and 5 others like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Side hustles such as Uber or Door Dash isn’t a bad idea to try to bridge over until you get a permanent position. It also looks better to a future employer that you were working even if only part time.

Jontro likes this.
  17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sorry to hear. Good luck!!

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

good luck breh, hope you get an upgrade!

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I went through it earlier this year too and it worked out great. Just do the little things to stay right, whatever those are for you.

20. TimDuncanDonaut

Speaker of the House position opened up.

on a serious note, good luck on the job hunt.

ArtV, Os Trigonum and Invisible Fan like this.