1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker: Could he be our everyday LF in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Is Kyle Tucker ready to be our everyday LF?

1. No, kid needs some more time in the minors to work on a few things.

2. Yes, potential is oozing from him, let's get this party started!

3. Maybe, its still early in Spring Training, let's not hyperventilate over the kind just yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Jake is a better baserunner and a better defender. He makes more sense as the "off the bench" outfield option to use as a pinch runner and defensive upgrade late in games.

If we were an NL club this might be a bit different.

2. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

No doubt Tucker is a better option. I was talking about Kemp vs Jake coming off the bench. It's definitely time to hand the keys over to Tucker in LF and see what he can do.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

One thing I'm kind of worried about, off topic... is the fact that I think we need to start putting leashes on our starting pitching. A part of me feels like Cole will start to break down, ween him in to the playoffs. I'm sure Verlander/Morton are helping him but we need our pitching staff healthy come playoff time. Therefore, maybe having 13 pitchers is necessary so Hinch can do what he wants.

If Tucker is up, Marisnick has to be the guy sent down because of Kemp's performance. Guy just ain't cutting it. Also, It's hard not to compare the stats Springer put up before being called up with Tuckers... Can't wait.

4. MrBear1

CF-Springer
    3B-Bregman
    2B-Altuve
    SS-Correa
    1B-Gurriel
    LF-Tucker
    DH-Gattis
    RF-Reddick
    C-McCann

Stassi
    Marisnick or Kemp
    Marwin

Rockets FTW likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I like it, so much versatility. Question regarding Tucker, if Reddick were to sit on the bench would Tucker play CF or RF? Just curious if Springer would stay in CF and Tucker in RF or vice versa? This is assuming Marwin or Kemp would be playing LF.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Unless Kemp falls in a black hole and Jake goes Gattis on us, I cant see this as a difficult choice.

I am definitely all in on Tucker when he is ready.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

it's happpening!!
    maybe.

9. Nook

Nook Member

He is going to need to learn to use those Crawford Boxes.

HTown2017Champs, BigMaloe and jim1961 like this.
  10. MrBear1

I think Tucker would play RF and George would be in CF.

Late game replacement Marisnick could push Tucker to LF in that situation though.

11. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I got a notification on my phone yesterday from the MLB app, and it started off with something like, "Kyle Tucker (Astros #1 prospect, #10 overall..." and my heart skipped a beat thinking he was getting called up! Then when I saw the rest of it I realized that it was just saying he was on the Hot Prospect list, or some BS. Talk about a tease...

12. Buck Turgidson

So you think Tucker is ready? OK.

I don't know if he is or not, but I do know that I don't know anything that the powers at be don't already know, and more. Or less.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looks like Astros think they will make the playoffs with ease.

Marisnick will be the defensive sub and pinch runner for the playoffs. Sorry, Bregman, you are going to have to learn how to hit Marisnick in instead of Fisher. As Marisnick will be on playoff roster, he's gotta get some reps.

Marwin is the utility guy, is the injury safety valve, and is a very good player after a horrible start. He's making playoff roster. He needs reps.

When Tucker gets called up, he's playing LF nearly every day. Marisnick is easy to send down to get reps. Marwin is not so easy to get reps once Tucker is up. Is Marwin platooning with Reddick when Tucker comes up? I doubt Hinch wants to tell Altuve he's taking a day off once every two weeks to get Marwin some PT. Astros have a great, but inflexible roster.

At some point, Astros will decide Tucker needs MLB reps and Hinch is just going to have to deal with having too many players needing reps. It could be tomorrow. I expect it will be right around trade deadline.

14. raining threes

What has Kemp done to make you think he's a below avg defender?

He seems to cover ground well and hasn't made any errors I'm aware of. His arm is avg and plays well in LF at MMP. He also plays a decent CF. Is he as good as Jake? NO, Is he as good as Marwin? Probably.

15. Major

Major Member

If they are expecting/hoping Tucker will be their everyday LFer in the playoffs, I would think they'd want him up earlier rather than later to get as many major league ABs as possible. If they don't plan on him being their LFer in the playoffs, I'm not sure there's any reason at all to bring him up this year barring an injury or something of the sort.

16. Buck Turgidson

Oh hell no.

2, maybe 3 injuries and then what?

17. MrBear1

His across the board, below average defensive metrics for one.

At a more granular level he doesn't get the best reads and his routes are often suspect. His arm is not good.

18. raining threes

You've been digging way to deep into the numbers.

He gets to the balls he's supposed to get too and that's all that really matters.

His arm, while not great isn't as bad as you make it out to be. He's very accurate and gets rid of the ball quickly. Hits the cutoff man, etc...

texans1095 likes this.
  19. MrBear1

You're right, he isn't terrible. He isn't Preston Tucker.

Jake Marisnick is just a weapon defensively, Kemp is not. Marisnick also is more of a weapon on the bases too.

Marisnick can't hit but his other abilities definitely are valuable for an off the bench outfielder (which is the role he would be jockeying for with Kemp).

I like Kemp, I think his calling is to be an everyday 2nd baseman somewhere. Maybe he can be moved as part of a package for a reliever.

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Why not keep both Jake and Kemp when we call up Tucker? We can send White down and have Marwin play mostly infield. Jakes defense can change games (like his catch tonight) and he's valuable on the base paths. Kemp is hitting well, is a positive clubhouse guy, and ok defensive player.

raining threes likes this.