1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kudos to Houston's crowd

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Oct 18, 2004.

1. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

This is Houston biatch!

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

sounds like my kinda place!

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Garner just propped the fans and the noise in the press conference!!!

MORE NOISE HOUSTON!!

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...18&content_id=899283&vkey=leftfield&fext=.jsp

Decibels toll for hometown Astros

Minute Maid Park fans emerge as 10th man for Houston

By Rich Draper / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- There's got to be magic happening at Minute Maid Park, some kind of Houston hocus-pocus, Astro abracadabra.

How else to explain the Texans sporting a 21-1 record in their last 22 games here and their two straight victories over the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Championship Series?

Sure, the club got hot under the skippership of upbeat Phil Garner, when all the disparate pieces of a puzzling pre-midyear malaise that had the earmarks of a losing season suddenly meshed.

That was the key.

But there had to be some intangibles, too, that helped spur that 19-game winning streak at Minute Maid Park to end a season that was hardly "regular."

Gotta be the park, right? A mystique. Maybe former Native Americans who lived in these parts made long-ago incantations to Mother Earth bestowing blessings on those hallowed ground.

Nope. This is still a place of brick and mortar, natural grass, plastic and optic fibers, a sound system that'll knock your caps off, and infield dirt that has great drainage qualities but still isn't made of pixie dust.

There's one answer: It's the waves and waves of sound thundering like a Texas tsunami, high-volume voices of 42,000-plus fans cheering at nearly 116 decibels, their homer hankies whirling like helicopter blades.

NLCS Home / News / Video / Audio / Photos

Loud? A 747 taking off registers 108 decibels.

The Astros didn't have to ask for whom the 'bels tolled -- it was for them.

This is part of Houston's secret weapon, its home-field advantage. While the park's dimensions and quirks and "feel" is a comfortable experience for the players, and they can sleep in their own beds, they love the fans' backing.

Garner believes the Astros aficionados are a big plus.

"I think the fans are a great part of this," he said prior to Monday night's Game 5. "Our fans have gotten to the point where they're really into this, they really believe, and the place is deafening as the game goes on. That definitely works in our players' favor.

And the fans themselves agree.

"You're always going to go along with the atmosphere you're in. And that atmosphere will let the players know we're here for them," said Kevin Boerger of Richmond, Texas, attending Monday's game with his wife, Christy. "If you're for them, they're for you.

Positive influence on the players? "Most definitely," said Boerger. "You make noise and it frustrates the other team, too. They may say it doesn't, but it does."

Anthony Krob of Navasota, Texas, some 70 miles from Houston, said he and wife, Irma, are enthusiastic supporters, and admit their lungs are pretty much deflated after games. Out of air.

Krob says Minute Maid Park fans are not rude to opposing players, don't berate them and are fairly cordial, even to out-of-town Redbirds fans.

"The fans in Houston as as friendly as you'll find," he said.

And certainly among the loudest.

Astros bench coach John Tamargo said it was great seeing the fans come alive and feels the vibrations as the home crowd roars.

"They've respond well, and we're glad we can reward them -- they've been a real plus for us," said Tamargo. "You come to the park fired up, because you know they're going to be into the game. They're our 10th man."

Putting it succinctly was Carol Sheppard of Huntsville, the famed hometown of Texas legend Sam Houston. "I think the players feel our energy -- I really think they do. I'm a yeller. But we also have a great team."

Rich Draper is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

5. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

6. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I wish the Texans would go 21-1 here at home.

I'd also like to see Jamie Sharper tackle Albert Assjuls.

7. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Whoa, the Kent GW HR soundbite is the loudest my speakers have ever gone....Wow, just wow.........I wish I was there when he hit it....

8. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

I am so THERE now!!!!!! Especially since I didn't get picked to buy WS tickets :(

#28 akperez, Oct 19, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  9. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Being there at the game was incredible. I was in Section 406, and when Kent hit that blast as it started flying you coud hear the roar of the crowd starting. It was so loud in there that it felt the section was shaking and you couldn't even hear the fireworks go off, all you saw was smoke.

Leaving the stadium was an awesome, the atmosphere was monumental, everyone was chanting Houston-Astros all the way down the stairwells and out in the streets. Its great to be a part of this run as a fan.

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Oh I wish I could have been there. I remember how loud it was in the Summit a couple of times. When Maxwell hit the big three in game seven against the Knicks in 94 and when Eddie Johnson hit the gaming winning three against the Jazz in 96.

Last nights game was just awesome.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was at the Saturday game (game 3) and it was freakin unbelievable. The fact that I could speak that evening was a suprise. It was loud and crazy. I've never experienced anything like it in my 29 years.

No one can doubt that the city of Houston loves their Astros. I think we just wanted to see how the other half lives for once. Let it never end!

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Check out this thread you can see the kent homerun and atmosphere i took on my digital camera vide. If you want to relive the moment with all the excitment.

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85390