1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak likely done in Denver

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Houstunna, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He's blaming "health"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ubiak-likely-to-resign-as-broncos-head-coach/

http://www.espn.com/blog/denver-bro...eaves-lasting-imprint-on-broncos-organization

Broncos coach Gary Kubiak likely leaving coaching position

6:22 AM CT
    • [​IMG]
      Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer
    With his family concerned about his health, Gary Kubiak likely is stepping down as the Denver Broncos head coach, multiple league sources told ESPN.

It would leave Denver searching for another head coach just two years after hiring Kubiak, who helped lead the Broncos to a Super Bowl title less than one year ago. But this year has taken a toll on the 55-year-old Kubiak and his family.

Kubiak had to take leave from the Broncos for a week in October and miss a Thursday night game in San Diego due to what the team called a "complex migraine condition." Back in 2013, when Kubiak was coaching the Houston Texans, he suffered a mini-stroke during a game and had to be rushed to the hospital.

Gary Kubiak led the Broncos to a Super Bowl title. AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack
    Physically, the demands of the job have become too risky for Kubiak, according to sources.

Asked Friday about his future with the team, Kubiak was non-committal.

"I love this league," Kubiak told reporters. "I love the Broncos. I love the work, you know? You know, I'm all in on the Raiders right now. There will be time for reflection and all that stuff next week, but right now it's time to focus on what we're doing."

Kubiak's plans will be finalized next week. This move might come as a surprise to many around the league, but there have been whispers throughout the year that Kubiak's family wanted him to leave coaching and head to their retirement ranch in Texas. It now looks like a distinct possibility, with Sunday likely being his last game.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Probably a good decision. He's had several health scares, so it's probably best not to push it.

I know Kubiak is disliked by many on ClutchFans, as all home team coaches eventually are. But, I respect Kubiak for being a standup guy. I've heard that the players loved playing for the man.

He may not be a great coach, but he's far from the worst. He proved he can coach a team to a Super Bowl win if he has the talent. I wish him well.

KePoW and macho GRANDE like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I was worried for him when he collapsed on the sideline 3 years ago. At least he got a ring

Pen15clubber and macho GRANDE like this.
  4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

You can fight and battle and battle and fight and sometime even fight-battle but at some point you have to hang it up. Good luck today Coach Kubiak!

macho GRANDE and J.R. like this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ditto this (edited one sentence)

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Kubiak for Texans OC! Book it!

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Kubiak has a good offensive mind. Schaub owes him money.

I wish Gary well.

8. Buck Turgidson

Even though he went to St. Pius and A&M I've always liked the guy. Best of luck to him in retirement.

cheke64 likes this.
  9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Health is always a concern, but some part of it is the team is disintegrating. When you have defense sniping against the offense, it is team turmoil. I don't think the Texans would offer him OC because he is a Super Bowl winning head coach. It is a disrespect to his resume, if he is hired to be OC because in history, there has never been a head coach that took a coordinator job after winning Super Bowl. I'd be surprised if Wade Phillips gets the gig, if he doesn't I look to him to retire. Good news, I think the Broncos are going back to the dark ages.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Health aside this is great news for Denver. Kubiak isn't a good coach.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

@Houstunna, why do you make it seem like it's an excuse or he's actually being fired? He's had well known health issues and it sounds like it's not getting better. I wasn't pleased how he coached in the end and I was less pleased that he got to walk into a perfect situation and claim the credit for winning the Super Bowl last season. By all accounts, his players love him and he seems like a good person. He'll go out as a champion and hopefully be able to get his health right.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just keep Phillips, grab Kyle Shanahan and keep on keeping on.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is pretty good offensive coach. His biggest issue was hiring incompetent DC before wade. He can made mediocre QBs look good. However he should have got Peyton when he had the chance.

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Timing

With the rumblings about being fired, I figured it was an excuse. His health concerns were already known, yet retirement isn't mentioned until Week 17. Just seemed weird. He's a good guy though, and a very good offensive coach.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What rumblings of being fired? I honestly haven't heard anything. Yes, this was a down season but I don't think it was one worthy of getting him fired one season out from winning it all.

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

http://cover32.com/2016/12/21/playoffs-not-kubiak-stay-denver/

Published just 10 days ago. Kubiak's last health episode was in October when he missed our game. Now all of a sudden, his health is too poor.

I wasn't saying he should or shouldn't be fired, just speaking on the rumblings.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow - wish him well.

DD

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I agree 100%. He definitely knows offense. The one season he was with Baltimore, their offense looked good. He also did a good job with Schaub until Schaub got hurt.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He really does have health problems. don't know why you wouldn't believe that.