1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Aug 6, 2020.

?

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

1. Yes

62.2%
  2. No

37.8%
  1. s3ts

s3ts Member

We gave a lot to get CP, he helped us get a lot of pieces together for the first year. That was a great year.

Then after he got paid on a wink wink deal, shut down for the year, basically, and we lost a lot of the pieces that we couldn't replace.

After getting RW, we also gained a few players back. I don't think that's a coincidence.

There definitely is some kind of stigma with CP for the role players. At this point, I feel really good about the locker room situation, way better than when CP was around.

dreamshakin likes this.
  2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Wouldn't have made it then, wouldn't make it now. But that's probably why I'm not an NBA GM. The move was made to keep Harden happy, so I understand it. I'm just more of a "f*** you, you'll play with the teammates we give you" kind of guy.

jch1911 likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When CP3 took the ULTRAMAX and didnt think twice regardless of the supporting cast around him it told me everything I needed to know about him. He's not about winning, he just wanted to cash out one more time.

One of the best ever sure. Will never get a ring.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

OKC is better than us? LMAO

pass me the championship odds real quick...

Atlanta had a better record than Cleveland in 2015. Were they the better team? OKC has had a cute little regular season.

let’s see how the playoffs go

#124 Reeko, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

FCK NO!!! The one time Tilman opens his wallet, it’s to hand over an albatross deal. U hate to see it.

Who is giving up something of value for the opportunity to pay scrub, injury prone EG all that money for the next couple of years? He has negative value.

6. Nook

Nook Member

A couple things.

I was critical of the trade at the time for a number of reasons.

However, Westbrook is 3.5 years younger than Chris Paul and that does make a big difference.

Further the Rockets' pick swaps are not likely to happen...... the first one is in 2021 and it is very unlikely the Thunder's pick is worse than the Rockets pick. The Rockets 2025 pick swap is protected 1-10 for the Rockets as well.

The two first rounders in 2024 and 2026 are also protected 1-4 and are extinguished if the Rockets are 1-4 in the draft.

Also the Thunder are not better than the Rockets, and they are not likely to be better than the Rockets over the next few season.......

My issue with the Westbrook trade has to do with the defensive side of the equation but in fairness Westbrook has improved some on that side of the ball as he isn't giving everyone 4 feet of room like he did for years in OKC.

At the end of the day, I don't know that I would do the deal then or now...... but it really hasn't been bad for the Rockets so far...... the Thunder have a couple lottery tickets they hope cash out and the Rockets got a player nearly 4 years younger. Also Westbrook took awhile to adapt, but the last two months has been player better than he has in years by cutting out 3's.

DreamShook likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love having the highest scoring duo in NBA history!

DreamShook likes this.
  8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is this the greatest selection of GIFs by one player in 2 years in NBA history.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Russ has trouble running a team by himself against a good Defense.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Still a HELL ****ING NO!

DD

11. JW86

JW86 Member

Still a hell yes, he was hurt last game and he has bad games, like any other player.

12. DaDakota

He can't shoot, turns it over far too much and his D is below average, he will only get worse with time.

DD

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The one good thing about trading Chris was it marked the beginning of the end for Clint's time here. Centers with limited range/offense don't last in this era, specifically in the post season.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

CC would have lasted just fine with cp3/harden lineups. The only reason why he didn't last here is bc you can't have two non shooters next to harden playing major minutes. that's been evident for a long time

15. DaDakota

Yeah, guys who shoot 70% and get 12 rebounds a game have no place, until the game changes again and they do.

DD

16. JW86

JW86 Member

That may very well be, I'll take a guy who's friends with Harden, who brings an intensity and energy that is unmatched and much needed and attacks the basket at will over a midget with a similar game to Harden who buckles under pressure, whines, flops and has Napoleon complex.

17. DaDakota

Well then we get to watch Russ with his hands on Harden's window personally shutting it.

DD

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

lmao this friends angle some of you hang onto is such a gimmick. so basically if they lose, since theyre buddies they'll just go party together bc hey we're such friends. how many ships as of late have been won with guys not exactly bff's. plenty. Kawhi/Lowry ain't bff's. James/Kyrie ain't bff's. Green/KD sure as well ain't bff's

funny how that midget still has a whole lot more success here than wb will ever. it won't even be close. watching someone so broke and not a threat from the perimeter as a pg is a joke. I feel sorry for harden

19. steddinotayto

Thanks, again, for confirming that you don't really read well. If there wasn't a difference between "don't last" and "have no place" I would have used the latter instead of the former.

20. steddinotayto

But that's...my point? If you're going to bring in a guard that can't score consistently from the outside and only within the 3 point arc you're basically saying to your center his days are numbered. I can't remember the last time a starting center with limited range/offense played more than 30 minutes a game all throughout the playoffs and the finals.

EDIT: Maybe Dwight Howard when he took Orlando to the Finals? Or whoever the Spurs rolled out whent they played Miami (Splitter?)?

dmoneybangbang likes this.