1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Aug 6, 2020.

?

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

1. Yes

62.2%
  2. No

37.8%
  1. dmoneybangbang

I think we were screwed either way once we gave CP3 that contract. Harden/WB theoretically extends the window.... but at what cost?

Easy likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Needed Luc, Ariza and PJ rotation. Very underrated part of that team.

As well as a still efficient Nene.

BeBreezy likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets are not contenders with CP3 and injured Capela this season.

Bottom line.

DVauthrin and Patience like this.
  4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

The question is, has we gotten us closer to the ring?? More closer than CP3?

The answer to that is yes... so YES i would do it all over again if I had to.

D-rock likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

In a world where he hasn't won a championship. Did he win one or did he totally choke when the Warriors lost their best player? Maybe im mistaken please show me the rings. I must've forgot about them.

6. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Injured CP3 last year. Injured Capela this year. You can't discount the injury factor as part of the need for both trades. In an ideal world, the Rockets would be healthy and would keep playing like the 2018 team forever. But 2019 made it abundantly clear that was not going to happen.

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

So Giannis, Luka, AD, Joker, Dame, CP3, Embiid, Ben Simmons, Jimmy Butler, etc. are not championship caliber players either by your logic?

Fans of their teams should just give up right?

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

So the only players that are championship caliber are ones that have already won rings? KD wasn't championship caliber before he joined the Warriors, but now that he won a couple of titles he is? Just replace the word "caliber" with the word "winner" at that point. Someone tell the Bucks that the only championship caliber player they have on the roster is George Hill.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lmao, what simple minded thinking. Not having rings means he’s not a champion, that doesn’t mean he’s not a championship caliber player. Was Hakeem not a championship caliber player before 94? According to that 3rd grade logic, he wasn’t.

DVauthrin and D-rock like this.
  10. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

They're not contenders now.

11. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Covington has shown more than enough. He is that tier way below Draymond Green but just about the best possible comparable player at his price point. The Rockets have a chance at putting together a "Death Squad" like line up.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Yes because Westbrook is better and younger than CP3 and less injury prone. Also this trade extended our window

D-rock likes this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

Let me reiterate, we win games with Westbrook that we don't with CP3. That's the only thing that matters. Westbrook has given that energy boost, a dunk here, a steal there, just going 94 feet and attacking the basket when everyone's just standing around launching threes. That energy is infectious and he's our Vernon Maxwell. Do you take a Mitch Richmond in a vacuum over Vernon back in the day? For sure, but when you factor everything in, Vernon won us games and gives us that edge that now Westbrook provides. Of course you can disagree, that's fine, but it's hard to argue against what I'm saying besides that you like stability, a more calm and poised leader rather than a loose cannon.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Not if CP was less injury prone and maintained his intensity from our 2017-18 year.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Huge what if.

But what is undeniable is that Rockets could not play at the break neck pace that Russ provides us.

Russ also inspires his teammates and they love him.

CP3 for all his leadership and skills, grated on his teammates and he did not always get their best. Especially in crunch time.

See his most stacked team ever, the Cippers, for proof.

And finally, CP3 could not average 30 burger for 22 straight games. He is not the scorer that Rockets need next to Harden so Harden does not have to carry team offensively game in and game out.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or
    Mike d’Antoni

19. opticon

opticon Member

I enjoyed watching Chris play for us and I'm greatful for his contributions; but I ride for James Harden. If he wanted him gone that was good enough for me.

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member