1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Klay and Worriers talk contract extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 11, 2018.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Man I hope the Worriers get caught with some kind of scandal like Minnesota did back then.

2. BackdoorHarden

Or someone pull a Sprewell. "$150 million? I can't feed my family on $150 million"

“I told you I needed to feed my family,” Sprewell said at a press conference yesterday. “They offered me 3 years at $21 million. That’s not going to cut it. And I’m not going to sit here and continue to give my children food while this front office takes money out of my pocket. If [owner Glen] Taylor wants to see my family fed, he better cough up some money. Otherwise, you’re going to see these kids in one of those Sally Struthers commercials soon.”

3. Mr. Space City

i'm pretty sure some of those silicon valley moguls will slide him some "under the counter" compensation for his "sacrifice"

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

This

5. BackdoorHarden

Suns tried to sign LaMarcus Aldridge, guess they will max Clint since they don't have any contracts other than dead weight losers of $13 million each to Chandler and Knight

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

$100M from the warriors + $100M in endorsements > $150M from a new team + $40M in endorsements.

this is the problem with a max salary for players.

a smaller market team should be able to offer klay $200M if they wanted to, in order to match the endorsement money he'd be giving up by signing with them.

Madeinchin4, RayRay10 and Da Wink like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Are the GS Worriers tight with China?

8. smp

smp Member

Are the endorsements really that good for the 3rd or 4th best player on the Warriors vs the primary guy on a smaller team?

I have no idea about that side of things but giving up 50 million guaranteed dollars is crazy. That is a ton of money for his kids and their kids even if he personally doesn't need it. They might not be as talented as him. Chances are someone in his lineage could use an extra 50 million.

As far as building a legacy, he will always be the third wheel. When you think of the bulls it's Jordan and Pippen. When you think of the Lakers it's Kobe and Shaq or Magic. When i think of the Celtics its Bird or Garnett and Pierce. When you think of the Warriors it's Curry and KD. He's not building a legacy. He's that 3rd guy who hepled out alot.

If he wants to build a legacy he needs to lead a team. Otherwise he's just a really good supporting player. So he's losing his chance to build his own legacy and 50 million dollars to help enshrine KD and Curry into NBA history.

#68 smp, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Rocket River likes this.
  9. BigO

BigO Member

But does he? Does he want to face all that pressure? Maybe he just want to chill.

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

He is making close to $20mil a year for the current contract, and got paid for ~$10mil/year by the Chinese shoe contract, so he already made his money.

I saw a TV segment where KD, and a couple other Warriors players were with some of the big name VCs, and CEOs in the silicon valley, talking about investment opportunities, I pretty sure those guys will find ways to make up for the discount.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. Pluplue

Pluplue Member

Bruh they know they can't win on their own lol

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

McGrady has invested in similar projects.......IIRC...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...artest-multi-functional-bottle-232637061.html

Exiled likes this.
  13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Of course not. He was already exposed along with Draymond when Curry and Durant missed some games and they looked like a lottery team. So staying with Golden State is his safety net so he can continue looking good.

14. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

he'd give up much more than 50 million because he lives in California...

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

how much do you really need after the first 100 mil? Unless you are wasting it all.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, you need a lot more if you want to BUY a team. Didn't Morey say that owning a team was his dream but he didn't thing he would have enough money to do it?

da_juice likes this.
  17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Remember when there were talks of him getting traded to OKC for Harden and there was serious debate about it?

Whoops!

18. BackdoorHarden

b**** ass KLAY . F U. Can't handle your own team so you ride KD, Draymond, and CURRY

FU KLAY FU. YOU AIN"T NO MAN LIKE HARDEN DOING IT ALL BY HIMSELF

19. BackdoorHarden

wow...this b**** took 15 3's tonight.

FU KLAY. Prove you're a real NBA player by leaving the Warriors instead of taking less money

javal_lon and TheRealAllpro like this.
  20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

It really irks me that these guys lap up Klay Thompson as the best 2 guard in the game. Angers me really...bc Klay could NEVER do it by himself. Lol at folks that think that Klay would ever be as good playing as a teams best player. LOL.

JayGoogle likes this.