1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kickstarter] Android Console

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 11, 2012.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if anyone else bought one of these or have received them or not. Got mine last week. It has not been a good experience.

Plugged it in and immediately started downloading a huge update that took like 30 minutes. No big deal. After the update it refused to recognize my WiFi. After sitting for like 15 minutes searching for a wifi network (and not timing out for some weird reason) I shut it down, removed my network, redid everything and it worked.

After that I downloaded a few games and played for about 30 minutes with my 6 year old on that bomberman game (or whatever it is called). That was a lot of fun. We got tired after a while and turned it off.

The next day when I attempted to turn the thing on, it booted straight to this screen that keeps asking me for "password to decrypt storage". Neither of my controllers will connect so I can't seem to do anything. There is only one button on the console and it doesn't seem to do much. I've searched online and a few people have run into this issue but it seems they are all developers and their solution was to rig up some kind of factory reset, but I can't figure out how to do that with just controllers.

Anyway, I emailed the support team 3 days ago and have heard nothing since then. Clearly these things were not ready for mass production. Pretty disappointed in the result and the lack of support. Anyone else received theirs or had issues?

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I got mine a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had to chance to play with it.

I've heard some bad things though. I'm not sure if I should attribute it to being an early backer (and thus, somewhat of a beta tester), or if it is expected for the "final product" to have these issues. If things get better by the "official launch" (and maybe some things could improve since it seems software/services related), maybe won't be as bad, but I'm skeptical that everything will be going smoothly by then.

Console launches are tough.

3. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think I'm a bit biased because I haven't bought ANY console at initial launch in a long time (maybe since the Super Nintendo), so I haven't had to deal with much of those growing pains (didn't prevent me from dealing with multiple RROD on my 360, though). I know we are supposed to think of these Kickstarter backings as more of a chance to help fund projects and less about purchasing something, but I can't help but feel I've been gipped.

4. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

The only problem I had was that the initial onboarding experience of getting updated and logging into my account was a total pain in the butt and took like 30 mins.

Beyond that, my gripe is that there aren't that many good games. The Bomberman game is probably the best one I've played too (besides my game) and it makes for a great party game.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. RC Cola

Finally got around to trying out my Ouya.

Setup was a bit long, but didn't really have any of the problems mentioned. Seemed to connect to my network pretty easily and all that. Firmware update took a bit, but around the same amount of time as any update I've seen on other devices. I did get problems after the update when trying to register. It seemed to disconnect me from my network, so I had to reconnect. But no problems other than that. Turned it on/off a few times and no issues there (yet).

Game/app selection is pretty sparse. There are some good ones (Saturday Morning RPG was one I hadn't heard about that I kind of liked), but not a lot. Not not interested in buying anything either...not yet anyway. I kind of figured there would be more apps (or maybe I just wished that). Would be cool if you could get Netflix, etc., on this. Since it is already running on Android, don't think it would take much work. A browser could be nice too. Maybe you can "hack" it to do all that, though I haven't bothered to do any of that.

The game store loaded kind of badly for me. Every game had a blank image, and never seemed to load the "boxart". It eventually (10-15 minutes later?) worked as you'd expect. Navigating these menus is pretty sluggish.

It isn't a bad thing per se, but I do find it somewhat odd to see all the Android UI pieces/menus all over the place. It is an Android console, so I guess that's to be expected.

I'd say it needs some work. Lots of polish (e.g., get rid of sluggishness), more apps/games, etc. But I'm still pretty positive about it all. If they do all that, I think there could be some good times to be had, and definitely worth the price.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Console officially comes out tomorrow for $99.

I am definitely keeping my eye on it. I think this is something I could see both me and my wife enjoying, actually, as it sort of bridges the gap between cell phone gaming and console gaming. Netflix and other compatability (HBO Go, especially for me), would be killer. I'm sure this will happen soon. The emulator factor alone makes me want this. Hello Dr. Mario, Goldeneye, TMNT, etc. etc.

Not sure how I feel about a new version out every year, though.

Anyone else getting this?

RC, seems there was an update recently. Did that fix your issues?

#47 Two Sandwiches, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  8. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I finally got a reply to my problem referenced above on Friday. They asked me for the serial number so I sent it. Still awaiting ANY instruction on how to fix it or at least notification that they would replace it.

Sigh

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Language is a bit salty in some parts
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AOhv0G288FY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. RC Cola

Haven't checked it. My main issues were sluggish performance (and maybe a lack of some polish) and lack of apps/games.

I doubt the latter was "fixed," and I'd be surprised if the former was fixed so quickly. But it might be better.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

After watching that, I'm not as negative about the Ouya. It might carve out a small niche after all.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Simply having FF3 makes me want one.

Though probably a waste of money since I could just use my PC for the emulators (or my Wii).

13. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of the Kickstarter updates from the company touting all the amazing things about this console. The last one I read said something about the console being launched with a record number of titles available. But I read your review that states there aren't that many apps/games available, so I'm thinking they are getting creative with their "record" claims, somehow.

14. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so been looking into this, have some of the kinks been worked out? emulations tend to run fine? probably the main reason i am thinking of getting one.

#54 FlyerFanatic, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm skeptical. $100 for a console that does what you can do on the PC using emulators? There is already an android emulator for the PC called BlueStacks.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's always ease of use. I can emulate a Wii, but that doesn't mean I won't buy one for my kid to use, because he's 5 and loading an emulator, roms, bt stack, etc, etc is a little more complicated than power on, insert disc, play.

17. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

OUYA's main flaw is that it needs more good games. For $100, the console and controller are decent. My studio put a demo of our game on OUYA (we're also on the back of the OUYA box) and everyone loves it and wants us to release the full-version now but unfortunately we're still several months away from that point.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/35rb0Ia8sxw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>