1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KG In Blockbuster Trade With Nets?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LAfadeaway33, Jun 14, 2002.

1. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I heard on another message board that KG has been offered to the Nets for Kenyon Martin, Kerry Kittles, and Keith Van Horn. That's all the information I was able to get about it but I would think there would need to be fillers. Anyways, a tandem of Kidd and Garnett would be greater than even the tandem of Stockton and Malone. The Nets would just need a few solid role players at the two such as Deaven George or someone in the draft to be back in the finals for sure next year.

The starters would be:

pg-Kidd
    sg-Harris/draft pick/George
    sf-Jefferson
    pf-Garnett
    c-McCulogh

2. TexasG

TexasG Member

That's crazy. Why in the hell would the Wolves do that. All three of those guys couldn't hold KG's jock. They're not bad they're just nowhere as good as KG. If I were McHale everyone on that roster would be subject to trade except KG. That's unless they can get a guy like Kobe, T-Mac, or Dirk which ain't going to happen.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

TexasG--The thing is, the T-Wolves dont have anything of value other than KG and MAYBE Wally World. Brandon is good, but he's too old and coming off of a pretty serious injury. Can you tell me they are going to improve that team that much in some sort of deal for Wally World?

IMO, Martin, KVH, Kittles is a pretty decent deal for KG. Not nearly equal value, but probably better than anything else that they could make work salary wise.

All three of those guys could start for the T-Wolves

Starting five for the TWolves next year with this deal:

Martin
    KVH
    Wally World
    Kittles
    Brandon

If Minnesota went to the eastern conference, that would be a good team. But then again, if the T-Wolves went to the eastern conference, I might just keep KG.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to agree with SCF. Assuming the salaries match up in this case, this is the best trade I have ever seen for KG. It makes sense for both teams. The Nets get KG, a superstar that they think could get them past a good West team with Kidd feeding him. KG replaces Martin, Jefferson can step in and start in place of KVH, and the Nets can figure something out with Kittles.

And what SCF said about the Wolves is true as well. They get a plethora of decent-good players that they can hope to get something for in the future, or just play like it is.

I like the trade for both teams.

5. TexasG

TexasG Member

I think you guys are forgetting though, if the Wolves do this trade and move to the Eastern Conference they will have to face KG on a regular basis. Also don't forget that the Wolves are wanting to go further in the playoffs. Both VanHorn's, and Kittle's performances don't exactly make them look like very good players to trade for. Also in the East KG would dominate. Why trade him to a rival if that's where you're going?

I also think they could get much more attractive offers than that if they really wanted to trade KG.

6. drapg

drapg Member

the wolves aren't going to the east... i saw an interview with david stern on nba tv where he was asked about this and the dude just straight up laughed...

about the trade, that's the most sensible KG trade i've ever heard... no not equal value, but you CAN'T really get equal value for a superstar... plus this helps get that fat $25mill/yr contract off the books so they have more breathing room!

if i was affiliated with MINN, as hard as it would be, i would probably have to execute this trade (as long as some first round draft picks were tossed in, and some filler from MINN's side)

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They would have to face KG 4 times a season, twice more than if they traded to a WC team. I wouldn't call that a regular basis, and I hardly think it is a reason to pass up making a decent trade for KG (if you were to think it was a good trade).

And yes, the Wolves want to go further in the playoffs. Kittles averaged 12 ppg for the entire playoffs. That is one point less than his entire season average. I don't think he really choked that much. Van Horn averaged one fewer point and less than one fewer rebound during the playoffs, compared to his regular season performances. I think their finals performances are kind of clouding your judgement of their overall effort in the playoffs. Few of the Nets players did well in the sweep against the Lakers.

Van Horn did shoot field goals at 40% for the playoffs as compared to his 43% for the regular season, but I don't think that is a huge cause of concern for the Wolves. (Kittles did as well...43% as compared to 46% regular season). Kenyon Martin actually upped his scoring output in the playoffs by 2 points. These are good players, and I think the Wolves know that.

Also, I don't see what more attractive offers other teams would be making. None of the players that make anywhere near as much as what KG makes would be offered up in trade, and to take a bunch of young players would require the Wolves to take on a great deal of albatross contracts that wouldn't be earning their keep. All the players in the above proposed trade are good players (even if they don't quite play up to their salary).

8. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

If I were the Bulls GM and I heard of that deal being considered I'd immediately counter with Jalen Rose and Tyson Chandler. No way this trade goes down. The bidding around the league would, instead, go up.

9. TexasG

TexasG Member

First this is just a rumored trade. Second if KG were really on the block do you guys honestly think this is the best offer they would get? I would think that there would be teams willing to give up damn near anything to get their hands on KG. I'm sure McHale could swing a 3-way involving the Clipps, and another team. Hell, if Stearling is really serious about paying his players he has a TON of talent he could trade for KG. Can you imagine KG, Brand, and Kandi all in the same frontcourt? Miles, Odom, Dooling, and both of their picks would be more than enough for KG plus it's a much more attractive offer than the Nets.

Again all these trades are all rumors. They may not be able to get a superstar in return but they can definately get better than that.

10. TexasG

TexasG Member

This is a much better offer than the Nets offer. Krause would be all over this to get the hometown boy on the Bulls roster.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Minn would ask for at least a 1st rounder or two

Rocket River

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree KG is worth a whole lot more than that.

Heck, I would probably offer Francis, Rice, Cato and EG for him (of course I would try KT first instead of EG, but EG would not be a deal breaker). That is certainly more than Martin, Van Horn and Kittles.

That would leave us with Ming*, KT/MoT, KG (OT, TMo backup), CM (OT back-up), Mooch/T. Brown. Then we use the #15 (e.g., F. Williams*, Haislip*, Ely*) and MCE to shore up the PG and back-up center spots.

We would go from one of the worst defensive teams to one of the best with Ming*, KT, KG, CM and say F. Williams*. Putting in MoT and Mooch along with Ming and CM gives KG a phenomenal shooting line-up around him as well.

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Kevin for Kerry, Keith and Kenyon?

Killer!

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Um, no.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Since you "got" me on the Wang ZhiZhi restricted FA thing, I want to remind you that the entire Clippers roster barely makes more than KG - trade not accepted. :)

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Assuming the TWolves remain in the WC, I don't see how this benefits them (unless there are a bunch of picks but the Nets with KG aren't going to lose enough games to make the picks meaningful - especially in the EC).

The Nets just got spanked by the Lakers who along with the Kings, Mavs and Spurs are the WC's top tier. If Brandon = Kidd and Nesterovic + Jackson = Todd Mac + Williams + Collins then the TWolves haven't improved over their 1st round and out status. In other words, they STILL can't beat the Lakers, Kings, Mavs or Spurs.

This looks like a dumb trade for MINN and a great one for NJ.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually I think Kidd and Garnett is a better tandem then Stockton and Malone, assume Kidd and Garnett gel. When Garnett reaches his prime I'm guessing he'll be much better then Malone, because he is far more talented. Kidd is already putting up better numbers then Stockton.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

why is this a good trade for Minnesota again?

KG is a franchise player. The other 3 are good role-players. Not even 2nd tier players imo.

At least with KG they could make the playoffs, provided they get some decent role-players around him. The team after the trade would not make the playoffs, esp in the west. And w/o having a pick, that makes no sense.

19. napster

napster Member

Why would the Wolves do that when the Rox are offering Mobley/2nd round draft pick/cash/Tmo/MoTay/Cato?

20. Hydra

Hydra Member

If Cato = Jabbar the Rockets win the championship this year, but he doesn't.