1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kennedy to retire - USSC will swing even further right

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am laughing at people that quote "the Biden Rule" as if such a rule actually existed.

And I laugh at people quoting the so-called rule, without the context of Biden's speech, which actually serves to argue AGAINST the rush of approving kavanaugh...

There were no concerns about Garland as a candidate. There are concerns... and ironically similar concerns of which Biden was alluding to.

Nook likes this.
  2. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

What does the Biden Rule have to do with Kavanaugh? Let me answer that question for you, not a damn thing. The President isn't changing.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

First, there is no "Biden Rule". The republicans made it up based on a speech then Senator Biden gave (opposing a USSC nominee) to justify not even giving Merrick Garland a hearing.

Second, the context of Biden's speech (and I quoted the part of the speech) is very relevant to Kavanaugh... there are very significant concerns about the nominee, and there should not be a rush to decide until these concerns have been addressed.

Nook likes this.
  4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Of course, if Democrats could have held the senate, they would have Garland in the court now, I am all for when the Democrats take back the senate and WH and some point down the line (which they will at some point), they do what they want to do, and GOP should just shut the F up.

5. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

They did, it's called Obamacare, and it's why the Republicans trounced them in Obama's 1st midterm election.

It should also be noted it was the Harry Reid that changed the rules on judicial nominees, the so called nuclear option, that allowed for Kavanaugh to only be confirmed with a simple majority.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What nonsense. Garland is very pertinent to what's happening now, and if you don't believe that, you're delusional, with all due respect. You are one of the most delusional, dishonest, despicable, and wildly uninformed people on this board. Keep fooling yourself.

AleksandarN and Nook like this.
  7. Anticope

Anticope Member

He did this for all executive and judicial nominees except for Supreme Court nominees because senate Republicans were working in lockstep to oppose anyone and everyone Obama appointed. If you honestly think McConnell wouldn't have used the nuclear option to get a Supreme Court nominee through if Reid hadn't done so with all other judicial nominees in the first place, then you're completely clueless. McConnell doesn't care at all about precedence or decency.

AleksandarN, Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So what have we solved today gentlemen?

jcf, B-Bob and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Well he did warn Reid about it coming back to bite him in the ass when he did it, but it's hilarious to see you project the actions of the Dems until others.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, because elections have consequences.....when Democrats lost the Senate they lost the ability to merely rubber stamp any nominee that Obama put forward. No SCOTUS nominee can end up on the court permanently without the advice and consent of the Senate. Justice Garland was not deemed acceptable to the Republican controlled Senate, so he never ended up on the bench. Obama could have withdrawn the nomination and picked someone else who might have managed to entice the Republican controlled Senate to confirm his pick....but he didn't do that. As always, it's "my way or the highway" with Obama even when he's arguing from a position of weakness and the Senate picked the highway.

I'm not sure why I have to explain how the government works to you, honestly you should be old enough to know by now.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah there were, his ideology was unacceptable to those who had to approve of him to get him on the bench.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Garland hosted an illegal craps game in his basement back in high school. I lost 10s of dollars.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Every bit as credible an allegation as Christine Blasey Ford.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Oh boy, the knives are coming out for any libs who don't hold the party line!

Elections have consequences, and under Obama, the Democrats lost the Senate in several elections. Those elections have consequences, which is why Merrick Garland is not on the Supreme Court, and never will be. Will of the people.

GOOD DAY

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I would also point out that Obama was a gay prostitute to pay for his college and had Donald Young, his choir director and gay lover in Chicago, murdered. There is far more evidence to support these points than there is against Brett Kavanaugh. Republicans have been overly gracious to grant Blasey Ford a hearing. No such generosity was offered to the surviving family of Donald Young.

SHAME

16. foh

foh Member

How do you actually define credible? Who determines the credibility aspect of it?

Did you shout credible when Franken's accuser presented hovering hands pic and accused him of making her uncomfortable with a staged kiss?

Or is it credible when it fits your agenda, citation-to-citation man?

AleksandarN likes this.
  17. foh

foh Member

It is the reason that people on here are so charged. Just look at mojo poster crying his heart out about all the dishonesty and smearing the democrats are doing. Anything to draw away how corrupt and complicit his party has become. It's laughable when people try to profess morals & principles after making a deal with the "devil". [now I wait to be accused of some funny name syndrome}

AleksandarN likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One definition would be "offering reasonable grounds for being believed", I think to me there is an element of likeliness of accuracy. If a claim is well founded to the point where it is seen as likely to be true, it is credible.

When it comes to Franken, you had not only the allegations of the one woman, but many saying that he crossed the line with them, so what was a shaky claim at first became more credible than initially.....but even then, it wasn't credible enough for charges or even a criminal investigation. Also, that was an allegation with a specific date of when the act happened, a specific place where it happened, and plenty of witnesses. I think it's likely that Franken was just a creep who liked to push the edges of what he can get away with and it pissed a few people off. I don't think anything he did was criminal, just in bad taste.

19. foh

foh Member

Do you not see how shaky your definition is? Did Tweeden witnesses come forward to say anything? Would she remember the date if it wasn't for some documents reminding her when it was?
    Credibility depends on how many people believe that woman. And I'm willing to bet that more people will believe Ford than Kavanaugh if she testifies based on reputation alone.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Yep. This will happen. Delay. Delay

Lolz