1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kennedy to retire - USSC will swing even further right

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

His sister, if I recall correctly

pirc1 and justtxyank like this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This country is going to be so dramatically different in 15 years. We've been through ALOT in our history obviously. Such a great, but troubled country.

Who would have thought coming out of being attacked during 911, and the coming together we though we'd have after that, legalizing gay marriage, electing our first African American president.... and here we go into what looks like a period of major power shifting to the minority voter & the American Oligarchy.

Just imagine if all of this happening in the Trump era happens during a major economic downturn in the next few years. Holy Crap its going to get ugly out there.

-I fully expect Trump and co. to push through a nominee in the next couple months no problem. They give ZERO F-cks about being hypocrites so why even bother showing outrage over breaking their own rule where they stole a SCOTUS seat for an entire year. They simply DO NOT care about lying and being hypocritical. They actually get off on it.

-First order will be overturning abortion laws I expect. Second will be the Johnson rule which will put forever ruin the Christian religion as the religious leaders will gain a TON of power in the state and forever reshape our constitutional religious freedoms.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I love how some of you are so concerned about the 5-4 6-3 7-2 balance.

The Supreme court should be balanced. I find it more concerning to everyone that we have rules down the party line, even for the ones I agree and disagree with. It only shows you how entrenched the two party system has become when each party can trample the rights of each other.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Yup.... elections have consequences and there is a high likelihood that there will be long term consequences.

Some of the names being floated are extremists. Amy Coney Barrett would be a disaster.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The balance of the court is a reality, especially with the recent appointments.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Your bitterness and rage is unhinged.

Roe vs Wade will not be overturned.

Gay rights will not be overturned.

The US has become more and more secularized. If the religious zealots truly had the party you naively believe, Trump would have never gotten the nomination.

What we will see is a stop to the ultra progressive movement, which is good and bad.

We will also likely to see the Obamacare ruling overturned.

deadlybulb likes this.
  7. Anticope

Anticope Member

Unlikely considering that it was Roberts who swung that vote.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Why do you think that will stop?

Just yesterday a bunch of progressives won their primaries, including Ocasio who was a first-time runner against a democratic 10 term congress leader. Just like the tea party, they are slowly taking over the democratic party and have already pulled it to the left.

Unless I misunderstand your point I guess. I see this only as energizing the progressives.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

I disagree about Roe v Wade. I think it will be overturned. I am not so sure about gay marriage but it is a possibility.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Lol. What an *******.

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

There is a real chance that Roe v. Wade is overturned or stripped to the point that it is gone.

Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch for sure would vote to overturn. The next Justice that replaces Kennedy is likely to vote to overturn as well.

That leaves Roberts as the deciding vote. Roberts wife is very pro-life and his overall feelings on Roe v. Wade are not known.

deadlybulb likes this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Actually Neil Gorsuch wasn't a bad pick

13. cml750

cml750 Member

I believe you summed it up correctly. I am betting Roberts sides with the conservatives on this one but he has been a wild card at times. If not, I doubt Ginsburg can last another 6 1/2 years.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Do you really want to take a bet on abortion rights? Really? Roe v Wade... maybe not but state rulings will all be upheld. Its insane to not see major abortion law changes coming.

Obamacare doesn’t need SCOTUS help to be destroyed. Have you not been paying attention to anything the past year? I take Trump at his word the other day when he bragged about how they’ve “gutted” the law anyways.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has been a terrible pick if you care about voter rights. or worker right, or if you are not a business.

DreamShook likes this.
  16. cml750

cml750 Member

With Roe v. Wade, it will either be overturned altogether or given to the states to decide. We could very well end up having states like California becoming abortion destinations while state like Texas completely ban them.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep. Unless Trump has changed his mind that is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...d-overturn-roe-v-wade/?utm_term=.efda990f1dc3

Always possible that Trump has changed his mind on the issue 5x now though I guess...

B-Bob likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Do you think workers lost rights today on the union decision. I assume work. Im sure some workers don't want to fund the union even though the money in question was for negotiating

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am not really against that.

lookup epic v lewis.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Conservatives too happy, liberals too sad.