1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kennedy to retire - USSC will swing even further right

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Go **** yourself....

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

She'll die on the bench before she lets trump pick her replacement

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They had a chance with Scalia and got screwed. Any justice could die at an time. Clarence Thomas is a real possibility for the 2020 winner. Wouldn't shock me that they would have an Obama-esque opportunity of 3 appointments (sure the Republicans stole the 3rd one, but he did appoint 3).

4. Nook

Nook Member

I disagree, the Republicans should make damn sure they don't get a moderate. They want to put a firebrand in that is 50 something years old. They can shape the court for a decade or longer doing that.

With Kennedy stepping down the next oldest Republican is Clarence Thomas at 70 years old. Thomas could easily serve another decade or more. Roberts is only 63, Alito 68 and Gorsuch is only 51 years old.

On the flip side, Ginsburg is 85 years old and Breyer is 80. There is a real chance that Trump gets to replace one of them before his term ends, and will certainly get to replace one or both if he wins re-election.

Had the Democrats won the White House they would be replacing Scalia and Kennedy......... the court would be 6-3 liberal and instead, they are about to see the court become outvoted 5-4 on every issue and could be 7-3 conservative if Trump is re-elected.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Honestly, it's not the end of the world. I'm sick and tired of this cold war between two idiot sides who feel like everything is zero sum and this news like every other is our beach of Two Jima.

Things will move on. Black swans will bite everyone in the ass no matter how smart or how non-sheeple-ish you are.

If there really is civil unrest or extreme poverty through income disparity (there is but it's hidden from where I live so who cares?), then the people will have to adjust or allow the risk of needless violence.

Connies like to think there's some elaborate Soros driven end game from their evil Godless liberal neighbors. If I were to speak like them as a group, I'd say liberals are driven by deep fear and anxiety over not achieving and improving the values and bounty afforded to Americans when they grew up. Its like the leadership are paralyzed by every single damn thing that will ruin us in the big picture long term to do anything about it on the ground. This is the worst one hour business meeting you can imagine, and all the Alex Jones in the world thinks it's about long grand plan to ruin America when it's just a meeting to set calendars for another meeting.

I'd think the only thing all libs can agree on is being okay with mixed race babies, which I guess can be nefarious if you want to hide behind identify and a rich tradition.

Connies have committed to the endgame of either starving the beast or breaking it through insolvency, whatever works because the beast sucks.

Maybe the liberals should embrace their anarchist brothers and wager that the unfettered greed is so close to a tipping point they should just push through ideas like it's nothing, hold their breath and do nothing else until they get a mandate.

It'll suck. People will die and suffer from the cancerous beast. At that point looky loos and bystanders will have to decide if this democracy is worth participating or should we just leave it to one person while we drown ourselves in fast casual dating and 4k p*rn.

AB and Space Ghost like this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If Trump gets reelected, it will be because this is what the country is at this moment, nothing more nothing less. We deserve the presidents we elect, be it Obama or Trump.

JumpMan likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I get what you're saying, I do.

But it is short term thinking if they do that. If they put hard right judges on there they better know the results and what that will bring.

traditional conservatives lost the social/culture wars. That's not changing. If they try to take away reproduction rights from women or overturn Roe V Wade or anything socially monumental it will wake people right the F up.

People sleep on things like what they did to unions today, but when it comes to "You are taking rights from protected classes" the backlash the GOP will get from that will not be worth it.

They SHOULd find a socially modern conservative. One that won't look to take away those rights from people. One that can be swayed by the liberal judges.

The reason they should because Americans will react harshly to that. If you think the Immigration camp coverage was bad, this would be 5x worse.

Also, they would be able to tell independents and moderates in 2018 and 2020 "Hey, we're not the radical ones here. We're governing for the nation and want our friends across the aisle to know we're willing to work with them."

The idea would be to boil the frog. If they put a wingnut on the Court they will be taking a torch to it.

Invisible Fan and DonnyMost like this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

@JayGoogle -- they are all about the torch. You know this.

francis 4 prez and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. pirc1

Do you honestly believe Trump actually cares about the long term consequences to the GOP party?

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Looking for a judge who will restore second amendment rights to people living in assault weapon ban states. Your strategery is deeply flawed and you seem to be in bargaining stage of grief.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I won't change it because I got status over you plebs for One Jima.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He doesn't, I'm not talking about Trump though. You think he knows who to put on court? He's going to get a list and a suggestion. When it comes to things like this he's going to nominate who he's told.

13. cml750

cml750 Member

Agreed but her health is not good. I doubt she makes it another 6 1/2 years.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sean Hannity?
    The Mooch?
    Or my dream: S Segal?

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I guess we are about to find out once and for all.

Hmm funny, not sure anything in this post displays how my strategy is flawed. Funnier, I thought conservatives were all about State's rights as well..

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

He decided to use the "nuclear option" because there were some lower-court appointees that had not been approved -- in May.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think you meant 7-2 conservative. Election has consequences.

18. pirc1

I think he probably have some wacko ideas about who to pick.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You say funny twice, but your attitude is sour and without elation.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Are you here to have a discussion or gloat?

deadlybulb likes this.