1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ken Caminiti Dies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocket Fan, Oct 10, 2004.

1. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Ken was the first pro baseball player I ever got an autograph from. He also had a cannon for an arm.

RIP

2. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Cami was a class act as a player......Saw him play on numerous occasions and have nothin but respect for him. Just ish he could have worked out his personal life.....i was hopin he could get back his life and go into coaching or something.....sad to see this tale end. RIP Cami.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Wow this is a shocker. Caminiti used to live in my neighborhood, but only his kids and wife do now. I have met him on a few occasions and actually played darts with him once. He was one of my favorite players to watch, and he was so incredibly cool and nice in person. Although he did have his recent problems, baseball lost a real class act yesterday.

RIP

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I am listening to a Cammy and Dan Patrick interview right now. :(

RIP in Ken.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

ABC13 just had words from Bags and Bidge. They didn't look well.

Bidge looked like he was really holding it in, and said that his wife and Cammy's wife (ex) are best friends.

:(

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

was cami married now? I don't know if you were saying ex because they got a divorcce or ex because he died..

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Posted this in the game thread, but I decided to put this here too ...

Just saw part of a press conference with Bidge and Bags on Sportscenter and they really looked like they were hurtin bad over Cammy ... Bidge's eyes told the whole story

Bags said the best way they could honor Cammy at this moment was to go out there and play their butts off.

Win or lose ... The Stros will honor Cammy tonight with effort

8. codell

If you were a Cammy fan, that interview, and the one Rome did with him were hard to listen to. Very dark.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One of my all time favs...

:( :(

10. FrontRowJoe

FrontRowJoe Member

I remember watching his first game as a rookie and thinking to myself "This guy's gonna be MVP". Little did I know how right I was (though not for the Stros). Watching him throw from third to first was truly beautiful. I've never seen a infielder (or outfielder, for that matter) throw with more power and accuracy than Ken Caminiti. How tragic! Rest easy, Cammy. You'll be missed.

11. haven

haven Member

Caminiti's one of the first players I remember playing from the beginning of their careers. It's a strange feeling knowing that he's dead. It's an overused expression, but he left it all on the field.

It seems there wasn't enough left for anything left. He'll be missed, but I wish there could have been more.

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

What an awesome, awesome win for the good guys. That win was for you Cammy. Your teammates love you and so do the fans. I know I have already said it once before but I really hope we see his jersey next to #5 and #7.

PALS

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

RIP...

Great Baseball player, just made some seriously bad decisions from a personal standpoint...

14. codell

15. Summer Song Giver

Looks like to me he was trying to watch a game, drink some beer, eat some chicken and slip off to the restroom to get loaded one more time. And with a wife and three daughters at home, life is about choices and at some point you have to sacrifice all things to make other things (family, daughters) better. It's a sad story with a sad end but it doesn't make him any less of a dumbass for going out like this.

16. codell

Thats what I was thinking too.

I'd be shocked if they didn't find drugs in his system.

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I'd be shocked too but I hope they dont. I think it would be nice for him to go out clean. It sucks having someone cool have their name drug through the mud like that.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's very sad. I mean when I'm reading that article...I'm thinking who the hell is up at 4 am and what are they up to? I mean I'm thinking he may be on a binge or something. I hope that wasn't the case but that whole article read out as if it were a drug filled night but no drugs were mentioned. I was almost thinking if this guy is calling this other guy at 4 am...that this other guy is a drug dealer fixing him up. I mean he is an ex-con and he did meet Caminiti at a party. I would expect normal sleep patterns from people not up to no good.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it and the toxicology report comes back clean. I hope so, anyway.

19. codell

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1902814

Bidgio, Astros bid tearful goodbye to Caminiti

ESPN.com news services

HOUSTON -- Craig Biggio gave a tearful remembrance and Houston teammates Jeff Bagwell and Brad Ausmus also were in attendance Friday at a memorial service for Ken Caminiti.

Astros owner Drayton McLane, general manager Gerry Hunsicker and manager Phil Garner were at the service at Second Baptist Church, as were San Diego owner John Moores and GM Kevin Towers.

Caminiti died last Sunday in New York at 41. Tests are being conducted to determine the cause of death for the 1996 NL MVP. A source in the New York City police department told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap that Caminiti died from a drug overdose, according to preliminary results of his autopsy.

Caminiti spent most of his 15-year career with the Astros and Padres. He made his major league debut with Houston in 1987.

"He took me under his wing when I got here," Bagwell said.

"Before I went to sleep last night, I was talking to my wife about our time together," the first baseman said. "I have nothing but great memories of Cammy -- nothing bad. If you say negative things about him, you obviously didn't know him."

Bagwell and Ausmus were late to the Astros' afternoon workout at Minute Maid Park and Biggio was absent.

The Astros plan to honor Caminiti before Game 3 of the NL championship series Saturday. There will be a moment of silence and a video tribute, and a spotlight shining outside the ballpark shows his No. 11.

20. codell

Did anyone watch Outside the Lines last night?

I've heard on the radio today that there was quite the disturbing recap of cammy's last hours. charlie pullilo couldn't even bring himself to recap.

Anyone?