1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keeping wood was a bigger mistake than signing theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Feb 14, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Discuss .

I feel like theis at least would model good habits , play unselfishly , and be able to teach the young guys where to be on defense .

wood is soaking up major minutes , demonstrating the wrong way to play , and I just don’t like the guy .

Theis’ contract wasn’t that bad . He could be a good backup to sengun and would be able to help the teams defense have some structure

with wood .. he’s not a 5 , not a 4 , not a 3 .. what the hell is he other than soft ?

Why are we making him a priority? Why couldn’t we find some way to move him ? Does the rest of the league agree that he sucks ? In that case why didn’t we let there be a bigger competition between him and theis for playing time ?

despite the rockets starting off poorly , didn’t we have a fairly highly ranked defense early on ? A lot of the credit has to go to theis , and Tate , and Gordon . Kpj can pull his weight too .

We are trying to lose ? Sure ...

But keeping wood is like getting an extra kick to the groin .

Why did I even watch the second half tonight ? why do I care ?

The world is full of mysteries and unsolved dilemmas.. there are many things we will never know . But one thing I’m sure of is that keeping wood was a bigger mistake than signing theis (and trading him for nothing ) ... ( or if you look closer trading him for a vet who will eat into Christopher’s minutes )

1 mistake turned into 2 ... and yet still , keeping wood is the bigger error ( IMO )

If there was ever a city we could just try to leave Christian wood in , it would be salt lake .

slothy420, napalm06, Bo6 and 13 others like this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Tank commander Wood?

Jontro and hakeem94 like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

At least he’s the best Tank commander money can buy.

The bad part is when he’s on the floor it might as well be 1 on 5 on offense and 4 on 5 on defense. I can’t think of a player that is more detrimental to helping develop young players by playing with them.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

tate only fan, i see tru your act!

snowconeman22 and Jontro like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The real commander cannot even get 1 minute of playing time.

Jontro and groovemachine like this.
  7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Everything about the way that he plays is detrimental to the concept of winning games, and the worse part is most of it doesn't show up in the box score.

He's got a very poor attitude, despite being on 6 teams in 6 seasons, and he already has 2 quitting incidences this season. He frequently switches to the perimeter, leaving our guards to guard bigs and contest against bigs. He doesn't hustle on rebounds, which is somewhat evident with his very high uncontested rebounding % (he has the 3rd lowest contested rebounding rate among players with at least 10 rebounds). He's a black hole on offense (on this team, he has the most front court touches, and 2nd most overall touches) , and insists on dribbling the ball up himself.

However, you look at the box score and realize that he has 12/9/4 on 56% shooting in 27 minutes, and you're genuinely confused because the way he played on court was clearly detrimental to the team.

This is exactly why the Rockets have a serious issue with distribution of the offense, a guy who can play as poorly as Wood did against the Jazz will still walk away looking like the best player on paper simply because has far more touches than anyone else, and so he has far more opportunities to fill up the stat sheet. I'm not sure if other FO picked up on this, because Wood is probably the first Rocket I have seen where his box score numbers are just not representative of his on-court play. If it's this obvious when you watch him play, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets aren't getting any decent offers for him since other GMs have done their homework.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

the rock is holding on to his cards and being patient. especially after seeing his former master get hardon for his cancer. tillmen is great.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. Theiss was just a dumb signing to begin with, no doubt. There was no reason to sign him to some multi year deal for $35 mil. Especially knowing he's some 29 year old role player who needs stars to play with to be effective. The fact that the rockets had Jarrett Allen just a few months before makes it that more stupid, which they completely fumbled with him getting some sorry late bucks pick for a rising young C who obviously has more value now which was pretty apparent.

At least with wood, there was some kind of potential to see what he can turn out to be. Knowing now he isn't that type of player who can be your best player and win, you just realize it and move on while hes young enough to net you something. So instead of walking for nothing which he will he plays out through his last season, they do need to get rid of him before

#9 YOLO, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    aaquaa likes this.
  10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

The only logical reason I can think of is we weren’t getting decent offers before the deadline. So they try to be patient and revisit it in the offseason when better offers may present. At least that’s what I’m hoping for. I wish they’re not keeping him as a building block.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nah, Wood just needs leadership and accountability.

DD

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Wood was really good when he was playing with Harden, Wall, and even Oladipo in that short period. Wood is the type of personality that needs to know he's not the alpha. I think benching Wall was utterly stupid. Eventually Wall would still have gotten hurt, but it would have set a better role for Wood to play off of the lead guard in our sets instead of acting like he is Lebron James.

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Hopefully KPJ and Green will Be able to take the leap that Francis and a monkey took their second year together.

That 2001 seals. Was one of the more pleasantly surprising I’ve had as a rockets fans if not the most. Francis and Mobley were both under 25 and carried the team to a highly competitive successful and barely missed out on the postseason in a tough west.

diehardrockets likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Tarick black looked like an nba player next to harden .

and I don’t know that wood looked good . Not good enough to help us win games last year (with oladipo and wall)

he’s an OK shooter , and he’s OK driving to the rim . He’s a bit worse than OK at the line

I just don’t see a good role player , especially when he is a big negative on D

aaquaa likes this.
  16. alethios

alethios Member

Maybe our asking price was too ambitious and other teams recognizing his true value, weren't willing to offer what we wanted.

aaquaa likes this.
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

How can anyone say keeping Wood was a mistake without knowing what the offers were?

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Wood had a bad game last night but keeping Thies over Wood....uh, NO! Wood is a PF/SF it's obvious. He needs to be paired with a mobile big.

Tate is too small and needs to come off the bench.

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

tate makes winning plays . Wood makes ... ?

Wood needs an ideal big next to him? A superstar playmaker ?

imo he needs to be paired with whatever asset is needed to get him outa here lmao

aaquaa likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol autocorrect fails for the win. I've been a victim of autocorrect also.

mac_got_this likes this.