1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Things In Perspective: A look at the west against the west

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce Rings, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Record for Western Conf. Teams Against the West

Sacramento 22-11 .667
    Dallas 19-12 .613
    Minnesota 17-11 .607
    San Antonio 17-11 .607
    Denver 20-15 .571
    Memphis 17-15 .531
    Seattle 16-15 .516
    L.A. Lakers 15-15 .500
    Utah 15-19 .441
    Houston 12-16 .429
    Golden State 14-19 .424
    Portland 12-19 .387
    L.A. Clippers 11-19 .367
    Phoenix 11-21 .344

This is the most disturbing stat regarding the Rockets out there right now in my opinion. Of the current top 8 in the west standings-wise, only the Rockets have a below .500 record against western conference competition. How are we to interpret that? Are we molding into a 6th western conference contender or are we Utah with a better record against the weaker eastern conference? I want to get excited about wins like last night's win, but the above stat can not be ignored when trying to analyze what this Rockets' team has accomplished this season.

2. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

This is disturbing b/c it comes with very few injuries to our players...unlike SAC, Lakers, etc...

3. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

All stats reset in game 1, round 1. We make the playoffs and everything changes. I wouldn't look into this too much, it does suck, but lets just focus on getting into the playoffs. Thats this year's #1 goal

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Not to mention the Rockets record against West teams on the road...

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So what are you going to do with your spare time after you leave the BBS when the Rockets make the playoffs?:confused:

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

well, IF that happens, I might try doing some work. :D

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I don't find it disturbing at all. Apart from being the only WC playoff team with a new coach (one radically different from their old coach...

The Rockets were 10-2 vs MEM, PHX and DEN last season. The Rox are only 2-5 so far this season. The 5 losses include Cuttino fouling Voshon Lenard behind the arc with 12 seconds in the game, horrible execution in both MEM games, and the SuperBowl game with PHX. They could easily have been 5-2 giving them a .556 percentage.

Further...
    We're 30-22. If 46 wins guarantees a playoff spot, we need 16 more.

There are 6 more EC games...TOR, MIL, ATL, NO, CLE, WAS. If we can do no more than split with them, all we need is .500 ball from the 24 games below....

3 w/ DAL...0-1
    2 w/ GSW...2-0
    2 w/ LAC...2-0
    2 w/ LAL...2-0
    2 w/ MIN...1-1
    2 w/ POR...1-1
    2 w/ SAC...0-2
    1 w/ SA...0-3
    2 w/ SEA...0-2
    1 w/ UTA...2-1
    2 w DEN...1-1
    2 w MEM...0-2
    1 w/ PHX...1-2

8. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

Work.....what is that? :confused:

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

we should go 14-10 the rest of the way and finish .500 against the west:cool:

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I've tried it.

Guess which activity is better.

11. tothomas

tothomas Member

This is what I see.

Four teams have given us nine losses out of 16.

San Antonio- 3Losses - SA plays our game but smarter, has more experience, and a bit more depth.

Sacramento – 2 Losses -Is deeper, smarter, and gives us match-up problems.

Memphis-2 Losses- Smarter, faster, gives us match-up problems.

Seattle. - Don’t really know why they’ve beat us twice so far, but Seattle has always been a thorn in the Rocket’s side.

Two teams I worry about we’ve only played once.

Dallas- 1 loss- See Sacramento then multiply it times two. Hate to be pessimistic, but I don’t see us winning against them.

Denver- 1 loss – definite home field advantage. We need to split or take the series.

The rest of the West we are either have parity with or own.

I say we make the playoffs if we can get a handle on Memphis and Denver, and the Rockets as well as everyone else maintains the same level of performance. Check my math, but do we need to even win against Dal, Sac, or SA if we do that?

BUT…

Until we get more depth, a playmaking PG to replace or add to Francis, and a PF that combines Cato, and Taylor’s strengths, I don’t think we are going to threaten SA, Dal, or Sac in a playoff series. I just don’t think we have the pieces yet.

12. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Your pretty much talking about a Chris Webber or Tim Duncan

13. tothomas

tothomas Member

"Your pretty much talking about a Chris Webber or Tim Duncan"

Your right, didn't mean to make it sound that unrealistic, I ment to say a pf with some of the strengths of both, or to be more specific a quicker footed Cato with a consistent short/med range jumper,(that still might be a little much to hope for.). If Weatherspoon was a tad younger or maybe a little taller, he'd be the kind of guy I'm talking about.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was going to update my Projection thread . But I guess posting here is appropriate too.

Simple Projection: 47 wins

Against the Odds Projection: 47 wins

Good Teams Bad Teams Projection: 46 wins

Good Teams, Bad Teams, Home Games Road Games Projection: 47 wins

At the end of December, the numbers were 44, 46, 44, 46. About a month ago, they were 47, 48, 45, 45. Compared to the present 47, 47, 46, 47, it's roughly two games improvment from December and one game improvement from January. And all the projections are coming together now. So I think a prediction of a 48-win season is probably fairly accurate.

15. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

sounds like with 30 games left and 46 being the magic number we need to win roughly half to make the playoffs. or 16 (1 game over .500) for the rest of the season. That would worry me with Memphis in the mix since they own the tie breaker against us and also battling for the last spots.

I actually hope the Rox can pick up their game.. and win alot more games. I think a 50 win season is actually possible. SF3 has been struggling, Yao has been struggling but both have just started coming on lately, and we still have a decent record holding onto a 6th or 7th seed. Looks to me like we will be bringing the thunder the second half of this season and close out with 50 wins and lock up 6th.

Minnesota (I dont see them faltering any time soon)
    San Antonio (They have Duncan what can I say)
    Los Angeles (Maybe a lil too late once all the pieces are back)
    Sacramento (Easy first half/ get much tougher)
    Dallas (Doing well now but who do they bump down?)
    Houston (Big 3 just starting to warm up expect a strong 2nd half)
    ?
    ?

J