1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kabul explosion: Islamic State 'admits attack on Hazara protest'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jul 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:(

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36874570

Kabul explosion: Islamic State 'admits attack on Hazara protest'

Eyewitness Sabira Jan: "I saw many people killed"
    So-called Islamic State has said it was behind an attack on a protest march in the Afghan capital, Kabul, that killed 80 people and wounded 230.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Even the Taliban, as bad as they are, condemned this senseless attack.

It boggles my mind how any person can be attracted to an organization that is so overtly evil as ISIS is.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Never underestimate the stupidity of man.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Indeed it's sad.

I think the problem with increasing attacks and media focus on the attacks sets a bad example.

People see this as well as the cop attacks as something that is done when folks have problems.

So whatever gripes people have, certain misguided people will see killing folks as a way to fight back at whatever problems might exist.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Horrible horrible horrible. I feel so sorry for the people trying to lead normal lives over there.

6. NMS is the Best

I am very sad to hear about this. The Hazaras are an ethnic and religious minority in Afghanistan (Shia with Turco-Mongol ancestry). The Taliban mercilessly butchered them when they were in power its weird to see them condemn it now. :(

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Have you found out yet if the Greeks or Armenians or Mormons did it?

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My understanding is that there the Taliban hate and fear DAESH also and see them as a rival. Also in terms of joyless repressed fundamentalist societies the Islamic State is worse than even when the Taliban ran Afghanistan.

It's very sad for the people of Afghanistan and particularly for minorities like the Hazari that things continue to stay horrible for them. DAESH inserting itself into Afghanistan just guarantees years more of war and death.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

When people are so poor, so desperate, and so far removed from global discourse and they are approached by a mad man who is the enemy of the person who killed their father or uncle or son or friend or neighbour and that guy is willing to feed the family and make god ok with what's happening and promise a place in "heaven"...

This has happened since the beginning of time. There have been equally brutal organizations, but none with as far a global reach as ISIS seems to have. South America and South East Asia have been notorious for brutal soulless death squads and they have done their damage. If we go back further in history, you'll find even worse examples obviously.

I'm once again surprised that you're surprised. Perhaps you think that this is a group of people with similar ethics and spiritual beliefs and that's what formed them and holds them together? It's really not. It's just Tony Soprano with a lot more money and the illusion of having god's ear. Half of the higher ups in ISIS are just sunni former military men from Saddam's regime who were jailed, tortured, exiled, etc. I think you would be shocked at how many of these people are barely religious, and in fact I'd bet a lot of money that many of them are atheists. In the bottom rung yes it's full of religious extremists, and the partnership at the top also has extremists, that goes without saying.

The other day I read that ISIS attacks in the Middle East are IIRC 17 times less reported in America than ISIS attacks in Europe. There's a lot of context missing from that picture. We're in this region and we hear the alleged stories of people being approached out of the blue and told to follow orders or their family gets killed and those orders include DO what we say, SAY what we say, and DRESS like we say. ISIS leaders are barbaric, but they are not stupid. Families of suicide bombers suddenly getting rich and leaving the village. Extremists hacking into psychiatric care facilities computer records to find their next minion.

I wish humans were stronger than this but they're not. This is not genetic. Anyone born there would be doing the same thing, as much as people would like to deny it. You adopt a chinese kid and put him in waziristan and raise him atheist. That kid is not going to shy away from absorbing the environment and the situation. That kid, like every Afghani kid, will never forget that out of the clear blue beautiful sky hellfire rains without any warning and doesn't take innocent civilians into account. That kid becomes a patriot of wherever the f he is. That kind of **** transcends religion. That's why virtually all Arabs hate American foreign policy and that includes Christians and Atheists and all the Muslim sects and anyone else. Imagine, of all the things Arabs bicker about, they can overwhelmingly agree on one thing. Only the rich, who have been made rich by the richer, have a different opinion. That's a stunning opinion for 80%+ of 350 million people to hold.

There is a lot going on that is being drowned out for you by the bickering of the two factions. Although in your case I suspect you are particular about not biasing yourself by following one country's media.

Once, for once, maybe trust the progressive citizens of the Middle East. Not the neo liberals. Not the neo cons and the conservatives. Not the generals. Not the governments. Not the UN. Not the guy who just looks and talks like an American. Maybe it's been long enough and we've tried everything else. Maybe one time ask Middle Eastern citizens seeking peace how to achieve peace. Those people who are not represented by the institutions. Maybe magic happens and the people who live there are extremely helpful in getting to a solution. Crazier things have happened.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

More people died than us and Europe and no one even seems to care. Its just muslims = bad.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The "JV team" strikes again!