1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Juwan Howard, vocal leader?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sishir Chang, Jun 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I haven't been on GARM or NBA Dish recently so I apologize if this has been mentioned already.

I just heard on local Minneapolis TV sports that the T-Wolves brought in Juwan Howard to be a vocal leader since Garnett didn't want ot fill that role. This seems strange to me since Garnett has always been a vocal leader but also I've never thought of Howard as being that much of a vocal leader.

The sportscaster were spectulating that this is a good sign that Garnett is gone and Howard is going to be the veteran leader on the T-Wolves next season.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Someone posted this in another thread, and you can see moments of it from pregame videos. Juwan always lead the pregame chants, gave the pep talks when they were needed, and kinda set and enforced the rules in the locker room. That whole "consummate professional" thing.

3. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Juwan brings veteran leadership and is a consummate professional. He is a seasoned veteran and moves like a gazelle. He will be a darkhorse candidate for the all-star team. Quite possibly, one of the top 5 PFs in the league in executing the fast break.

He is all the Timberwolves need at PF.

Signed,

Houston Media

:)

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

well he was the captain no matter how much tmac said he was. yao is too soft spoken to be a leader. hopefully t-mac learned to be a leader from juwan and steps up on and off the court vocally.

5. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

you mean

6. weslinder

I don't know if T-Mac has the right personality. Maybe Battier can assume that role.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Juwan is a vocal leader according to IC2000.

Most of us here didn't notice his leadership because such talks were drawn out by the Z-boy crowd.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Final 15 seconds of the video ...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JPEblUMqhIA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JPEblUMqhIA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

i'm mike james biatch!

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That's one of T-Mac's problems and one of the problems they had in Orlando. Darrell Armstrong used to be the vocal veteran over there, and when he got shipped off, T-Mac really wasn't much of a leader and it really hurt things over there.

Personally, I think it would be great to see Cookie Monster run the huddles. Man that would be funny to see.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe Juwan is a leader, but I think he is a bad leader. And if you have to rely on Juwan Howard to be the team leader you are in serious poo poo...IMO.

Sometimes a person steps forward in a vaccum to lead, and the team follows.

The issue I have with Juwan is what has he lead his teams to?

His teams have always fallen short, which leads me to believe he is not the right guy to lead. IMO, it should always be the best player on the team..........not a guy who was...at his best....a good player.

DD

#11 DaDakota, Jun 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

DD and his stupid made-up theories.

Yeah, if Juwan was a better leader he would have led Hayes to grow 2 inches, gave Yao quickness of a 6'9'' player, gave Luther incredible handles, gave Rafer the power to finish stron, made Bonzi lose weight and forced McGrady to drive to the basket more.

Juwan being a "bad leader" is the root fo the Rockets evils.

13. DaDakota

Huh?

WTF are you talking about? I just think that the best player should be the leader of the team, and if you have to rely on a below average player to be the team leader you are in trouble.

Do you think it is good if the team leader is a guy who is coming off the bench?

And yes, it is my opinion....it is what I believe, I never said it was fact.

Put me on ignore already...sheesh.

DD

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Oh come on, who was leading the huddles with the Rocket championship teams? It sure wasn't Hakeem. You'd see Kenny, Vernon, or Thorpe doing those. Some guys have the ability to communicate and lead in the huddle and on the sideline. Guys like Yao and Tracy just don't have that. (Maybe TMac can do that now but he sure as hell couldn't in Orlando) Like I said, Doc Rivers said his biggest mistake was getting rid of Darrell Armstrong because without him there just wasn't any veteran leadership on the Magic.

The best player SHOULD lead, but that's not how it works in the NBA.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Very true. You didn't see Tim Duncan delivering speeches and getting people going...

16. weslinder

I'm not saying that Mike James wouldn't be a team leader, but you certainly wouldn't want to rely on his leadership. Chris Bosh was really upset with him in Toronto and called him out several times. Mike James is the kind of player that needs strong leadership, someone that will rein him in if and when he puts himself ahead of the team.

17. DaDakota

There are many types of leaders, but there is always one clear leader.

Tim Duncan is that leader, much like Hakeem was.....someone who led by example....but clearly the leader.

I hope Yao Ming steps up to become that type of leader in Houston, because IMO, if Juwan Howard is your team's leader, you aren't going anywhere.

DD

18. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Leaders are overrated. Just like experience. It's all about skill and talent.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Avery Johnson was the leader in 99.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm pretty sure tmac was the captain last year