1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[justice] Mclane article

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Jun 8, 2005.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not trying to take a shot you guys' uncle. Calm down.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Marlins
    Angels
    Diamondbacks

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

DC United
    Boy Scouts
    the Dave Matthews Band

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly, you don't have a response. MLB probably has had a more diverse group of champions the past few years than the NBA.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Crap Max, we forgot to run our posts through the pgabriel authorization system.

This post not approved by pgabriel.

6. Buck Turgidson

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

LOUD NOISES!!!

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Whatever dude, you guys are the ones who act like Drayton can do no wrong. I try to say that I wasn't critizing him and you still want to argue with me.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Because you think Justice is such a dolt, and when DMc was 'on the clock' he got clocked. Hate RJ all you want but your attack sounded like an anti-McLane in Richard's toggery.

10. MadMax

yeah...you got me, pgabriel.

the Marlins are an aberration. The Angels are from freaking Los Angeles, pgabs. and the Diamondbacks spent so much they're in debt they can't dig out of.

but yeah..it's just like the NBA. you're right. where teams from places like San Antonio win titles. it's EXACTLY the same.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Whatever dude, I was just trying to point out that the reason the Astros didn't have championships wasn't because of the owner, since that's clearly what your post implied.

post not approved by pgabriel.

12. MadMax

i don't know what any of that means...but if it's bad to be a dolt, than Justice is that.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And all I was trying to point out is that you shouldn't criticize the one owner in town who's teams do have championships, regardless of how you feel about the other ones.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have no idea what this means.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Gotcha.

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That was Biggio, right? :)

I'd definitely put more blame on Biggio (and, to a lesser extent, Bagwell) than McLane for the postseason failures in 97, 98, 99, and 01. A team's not going to win if its leadoff hitter never gets on base. McLane and Hunsicker let alot of pitching get away in those years, but the starting staff continually put up good performances in the postseason, and they brought in guys to make us competitive. If our future Hall of Famers had hit like they did in the regular season, we would have had a legitimate championship shot in 98 and perhaps some of those other postseasons.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I see how it looks like I was criticizing Drayton but I wasn't trying to. But if I were, please don't go to the he can't compete card when he goes out of his way to sign contracts based on sentimentality. No one should be arguing he can't compete while Bagwell's contract is still on the books.

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I don't know if there is a better option for an owner out there or not. I dont think a guy like Tilman Fertitta would be any better of an owner than Matress Mac or GWB Sr for that matter.

We have had success with Drayton despite him not swinging the biggest mickey at the winter meetings. I think part of our success has to be attributed to Hun's ability to GM...part to our scouts and their ability to find diamonds in the rough...and part to Drayton's willingness to pull the trigger on a June-July deal that helps us almost get to the promised land. I guess I just have a hard time believing that he is making any less (or losing any more) than anyone else outside of the yanks, bosox,mets, O's or Dodgers.

This year's trading deadline and more importantly, this offseason, is going to be very telling...because even with another yr under their belts, I dont see the young guys that we are toting out there (bidge and berk excluded) making us contenders next year either.

19. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I am soooooooooo sick and tired of Drayton whining about how he fu#king loses money each and every year. Why do you own the team Drayton? If you are losing so much damn money, then sell it!

My guess is the guy is lying. A smart Billionaire businessman like DMC wouldnt be involved in something that is netting a loss for him year-in and year-out. Just doesnt make smart business or financial sense to lose money every year.

Liar Liar pants on fire!

:mad:

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

logic would tell me that as well....its hard to believe...UNLESS he uses the Astros loss as a write off on his other capital gains each year...in which case, he really shouldnt own the team...but i cant see that being the case.