1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice Dept. to Take On Affirmative Action in College Admissions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Aug 1, 2017.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

If 4.0 is a dime a dozen then the H.S. it self failed to differentiate the academic performance/ability of it's students. It should increase the difficulty off it's tests and etc. until a normalized bell curve on class ranking is formed.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The reasons are extremely valid, as I said, years of oppression and segregation is akin to being tripped at the start of a race.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

But at the same time, you're handicapping a completely neutral party. How is that fair to them? And when does the race get even?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not logically consistent to respond to discrimination in the distant past with new discrimination against other groups....or to go along with your analogy, you don't make up for someone being tripped in a race 60 years ago by tripping completely unrelated people to give those with a similar skin tone an advantage in a completely different race.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Is it really unfair to the neutral party? Are they really handicapped? Was it fair to those that were handicapped for many years? Is it even now, or even close to even?

I know, lots of tough questions. I suspect both sides can trot out stats supporting their side.

But wow... with all the important issues facing Americas... healthcare, eroding infrastructure, jobs, taxes, crime, environment, heck, even the cost of college education and making it more affordable... and this, "whether white people are unable to get into the college they want to because of affirmative action?" is the issue this president chose to work on right now? I may be cynical, but I am sure it had nothing to do with his declining polls within his own base?

edit: adding this to support my last sentence:

#85 NewRoxFan, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Define Merit.
    Because I would put the collective GPA of every minority group against whites every day
    but
    Then you start making other excuses and bullshit to make sure the scale is constantly tipped in your favor
    (Ooooh they did not take hard classes, their schools are not as hard, the teachers cheated for them .. . etc etc etc )
    (http://atlantablackstar.com/2017/07...arges-of-grade-inflation-by-public-officials/)
    because
    whenever something does not fit the narrative of white superiority
    then they change the narrative, the rules, the definitions, and everything else

So put in your 'Merit Based' system
    but
    I doubt it will be implemented fairly because. . .. History .

Rocket River

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It play to the sense of I'm a victim. Keep playing the victim role and you will continue to be one.

But if there is something unfair, it should be corrected...

However, really, if college education is important (it hasn't been for the Right), funding shouldn't be slashed, but should be increase AND open up the door for more to join. So, no, this isn't about education, but about being a victim and fighting perception of unfairness. But at the end of the day, nothing much is really gained, even if the admin get what they want.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. Duncan McDonuts

It's unfair to Asians who have done nothing to oppress blacks and Hispanics. Asians are unfairly penalized because they are over-represented in higher education. It's well documented how much more difficult it is for Asian students to gain acceptance into universities compared to students of other races.

The rest of your post is a strawman that's irrelevant to the topic.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I suppose it's about sportsmanship. If you are in a race and you know that one person got treated unfairly, I believe most competitors, if you had sportsmanship, would actually walk out and demand that the race be restarted. In this example, they aren't even doing anything that drastic, they are slowing down a little bit so that it's a more fair race. And you are dumb if you think it's a different race, the race is ongoing. There is no "restart" button unless you think everyone is born with $0 and are left to fend for themselves. Last I checked most people are raised by parents. The more money the parent has, the better resources that kid has to succeed. The better values that the parent has, the better values that the kid receives.

America destroyed lives of millions of African Americans and now they don't want to do a single thing to make up for it. That's f***ed up and indicative of a selfish attitude.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, "the man" is always out to get you, that irrational paranoia never gets old. The argument that equality is inherently unfair because the man is out to get me is every bit as insane as it sounds.

Well not just Asians, the assumption that every white person has done things to oppress black people and hispanics is pretty ridiculous and on par with other negative racist stereotypes. The idea that people should be punished or given preference based solely on their ethnicity is absolutely backwards and I'd hope we could move past such ridiculous thinking.

That's simple minded though. It's not a race where one group of people is running against another group of people and the assumption that every member of a group has the same disadvantages or privileges is really stupid.

As a people we need to stop b****ing about what might have happened in the past, it's completely irrelevant to the present. The Asian immigrant who comes to this country with nothing, not even able to speak the language probably doesn't want to hear about how much of an advantage they have over black people due to what might have happened to part of their family 3 generations or more back. America owes black people nothing but equality, those who are worth a damn will take that and make something of themselves, those who aren't worth a damn.....well, who cares? It's the same for all groups.

marky :) likes this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Doing away with AA type of admissions would benefit Asians at the expense of black people. I think Whites will stay relatively stable.

I understand trying to benefit minorities, but it has been punishing the Asian minority who tend to be higher achievers.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

They should just treat all Asians as whites, then it would be fair, right now Asians are treated worse than whites in college admissions. If they want to admit a few more African Americans or Latinos, so be it.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No system where you hold back some and push forward others based solely on race or ethnicity can be "fair". No matter what excuses are made for that kind of thing, it would still be an inherently racist system.

The only "fair" system would be a system where race and ethnicity is not taken into consideration and people are admitted based on their merits.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Socio-economic factors are what most people think is fair when it comes to affirmative action. But how do we quantify someone's socio-economic status on a college admission?

I suppose you could look index every public high school. Assign a number based on median income, graduation rates, SAT scores, etc. and give a handicap based off that. But the issue is if that information is publicly available or not.

15. pirc1

Family income(assets), they do that on FAFSA already.

16. Duncan McDonuts

I don't recall doing a FAFSA until I was already admitted, though. I thought it was more for loans/scholarships, too, instead of admissions.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, to RR's point, do you consider a 4.0 at Eisenhower HS to be on par with a 4.0 at most other public high schools in the Houston area?

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is just pandering to the Asian vote. Sad.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure there are differences in the quality of high schools and that's where things like how many honors classes they took and standardized testing comes into play. One thing is certain though, no student with a 4.0 at ANY Houston area high school would struggle to get into college. Perhaps they might not get into EVERY school they apply for depending on other factors, but it's not like they'd end up at a junior college or out riding the rails.

20. pirc1

I am saying schools can request income/asset information on application, just like they do on FAFSA, if they want social economical equality.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.