1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice Dept. to Take On Affirmative Action in College Admissions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Aug 1, 2017.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True, but they are still limited their dispersal.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't realize that BigDog was responding to a post from earlier and see that I brought up my sphomre roommate earlier. That said I haven't seen any comment regarding legacy admissions and athletic scholarships.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Fischer who sued UT backed by many conservatives claiming that entry should be merit based and not on race.

But she didn't mention that 92% of admissions were automatic based on class ranking. Of the remaining spots, 8 students of color had worse scores than her but got admitted. 42 whites students had worse scores than her and got admitted. Also, there were over 100 black and minority students with HIGHER scores who got denied. Her case really unravels.

Fact is that many black students come from poor socioeconomic backgrounds and need financial assistance (what you call a bribe) to make college affordable.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Now that trump is poised to add a justice that will rule against affirmative action...

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Remember folks, the supposed meritocracy here is a fraud by the powerful against the powerless.

Guess what its goal is.

mdrowe00 and JayGoogle like this.
  7. SamFisher

With mentioning in light of today's scandal, it's not only rich white kids bribing their way in by buying an athlete bonus in non revenue sports that are an issue, it's the actual athletes themselves who are a zillion times less qualified than the non athlete student body but whose supposed skill at sports nobody cares about gets them an express pass.

If you're Asian and you want to go to Stanford cause you're awesome at math, maybe instead of picking on the tiny minority of African Americans who go there you should be upset with Chas and Hunter and Sloan and the other 20 douches on the Water Polo team.

Hakeemtheking and JayGoogle like this.
  8. jcf

jcf Member

I assume you are ok with athletes who play the major sports getting scholorships or lower admittance hurdles given that they are essentially working two full time jobs and bringing in a ton of money to the universities.

I think the "douches" on the Water Polo team are probably expected to spend the bulk of their time on their sport to the detriment (perhaps) of their schooling, social life, ability to hold a part time job, etc. I concede that the Water Polo team isn't bringing in the bucks, but I don't have a problem with athletes getting an advantage to attend school when so much is expected of them above and beyond just the schooling.

I am in favor of affirmative action but at some point I think it should switch to socioeconomic instead of race based. I don't claim to know that point, but it can't be forever because while affirmative action does help with some societal disadvantages it perpetuates some unfair views as well.

9. SamFisher

First off it's no coincidence that the sports the rich people pretended their kids were in were rich people sports like tennis, golf, water polo, sailing rowing. This is not coincidental.

Second I think it's pretty funny that you think Stockton from the sailing team needs an extra boost cause he had to get up on Saturday and go to the regatta. Why doesn't this apply to Hong who plays the piano or Siraj who helps out in his family store?

I don't think you realize the extent to which these bonus points laughably advantage the athletes....according to the records on the lawsuits, Stockton from sailing doesnt just get a slight boost for his sacrifice...its orders of magnitude.

His odds of getting in go from 0.7% to 70% or something like that with the athlete set aside. And since he's non scholarship theres not much to stop him from quitting.

Not sure why you think the Ncaa's exploitation/cartel in the revenue sports matters here but no I think it's a fraud as well, but really that's the exception that proves the rule. The rigged system and soft bribery that favors the Winklevoss twins and Jared Kushner is way more relevant to this instance than Zion Williamson.

10. jcf

jcf Member

I am a lot less invested in this issue than you apparently are. But, I truly thought that parents could influence admissions by straight up donations (for at least private colleges). If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

But, if I'm correct, I really don't understand these machinations to get their kids in as athletes.

As for real athletes that play sports, some more popular than others and some more lucrative than others, you are displaying a disdain for anyone playing a sport that you deem to be less acceptable or for the wealthy. Great.

I think all true scholarship athletes sacrafice a lot to participate in college. And it might surprise you but there are scholarships and admissions criteria that apply to Hong that plays piano. And if someone is helping out at the family store, great. But that doesn't do much for the college.

Sorry, but your post reads like you distinguish between what you believe are legitimate sports or perhaps legitimate recipients of a boost and those you don't. And your choice of names for the "douches" really wasn't your finest moment.

cml750 and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Or how about all of them who didn't earn it. Let's not discriminate.

cml750 and jcf like this.
  12. SamFisher

I'm displaying a disdain for Harvard giving Cameron and Tyler Winkelvoss a 10,000 percent boost for rowing (those are their real names, sorry friend) meanwhile we obsess about black kids getting in to Harvard being an injustice - they're the ones who are really taking
    You know what also "doesn't do much for a college"? Having a sailing team. Or else the coach wouldn't have to collect bribes.

In practice- athletic boosts for obscure sports are elite colleges tends to be affirmative action for otherwise non exemplary richer white folks - that is why it was the subject of this scandal.

The outrage should be directed that way, not at minorities. But, I know Cameron and Tyler Winkelvoss are going to beg to differ.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Yeah, only "rich" people cheat.

Gotcha, brah.