1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jumpy US Troops Kill Iraqi Family at Checkpoint

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wnes, Nov 21, 2005.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You truly are delusional if you believe...

1. That your change of subject went unnoticed.
    2. That I am a liberal.
    3. That YOU are the one who has done the "own[ing}" in this thread.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

So...up to now, about 100 or so US troops have been killed by car bombs at checkpoints...and one iraqi family....but you guys are mad at our troops?

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which only helps to prove his point, that they weren't in Iraq until the U.S. invasion.

In trying to defend your dishonest tactic you just lost the argument.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

are you comparing innocent lives of civillians vs. the lives of soldiers with weaponry?

i think civillians win in any case, and also the number of civillians killed by soldiers vastly outnumbers the number of soldiers killed by suicide bombers...

and these are 2 different groups, the people in the car were not suicide bombers, they were an innocent family..... again, an innocent family who had NO fault... just living their lives normally. im sure they would have been much worse under the tyranny of sadam tho....

5. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Who's mad at the troops? Which poster said that? Me personally I am upset at situation\position the troops are put in more than anything. I understand why they shot. I understand even more why they shouldnt even be there\here...

6. ricky-retardo

ricky-retardo Contributing Member

I understand not wanting to kill innocent people but how do the troops distinguish between the innocent and the terrorist? The car did not stop, they fired warning shots and still nothing. At that point how do you determine if they want to hurt you or not? They do not exactly have all day to make this choice.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

we cant sit here and make judgements... for all we know the troops did all in their power to stop the car, but i mean sitting comfortably on a nice lazyboy im thinking maybe if they shot out the tires, or if they just shot towards the car, heck maybe they shoulda just moved out the way...

for all we know they didnt have any warning shots, or they may not have been shouting the right words in arabic for stop... u know, theres all these variables, i just feel that if im in someone elses country, i would attempt to be more careful with their lives, but at the same time, thinkin that im not back home, and no rules apply to me, i would take the wrong way out of situations...

8. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Would you guys just stop responding to Bigtexxx? He gets a hard on when you all bite the line. Stop taking him seriously. :p

9. NJRocket

You seem to be able to find an excuse for them hating us....but no excuse for our troops protecting themselves...why is that?

10. NJRocket

shouting out the right arabic words? u must be kidding. A warning shot is pretty universally known. for all u know, they did all this and the idiots never stopped...but u somehow find it easier to blame the troops

11. u851662

Dude, good point which leads me to this point. I was listening to a group of soliders during dinner just yesterday talking about doing the patrol's. When ever on patrols sometimes they hit traffic jams. Some soliders maning the guns fire a couple rounds in the air to get the cars to move out of the way. He was saying he hates it when this is done because how are the IRAQIS supposed to know if it is okay to move out of the way or chance being shot by moving out of the way and another patrol vehicle retaliating thinking it is a suicide bomber. The Iraqis dont know which to do some times. Now this may or may not be the case for this situation one will never know. Me personally, I am not confident in the word of the military commanders on cases of "WHAT HAPPENED WAS" if you know what I mean. It is something to think about though and this particular solider was making plenty of sense.....

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The article says they did fire warning shots.

And do you really believe they are not being careful? They absolutely are, and on top of that countless American soldiers are losing their own lives.

13. u851662

You sir have obviously not read this whole thread..... Go back to post #8....
    "Look before you leap!"

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

u851662 if I remember correctly, you were pretty pro war before you left for Iraq. Now you seemed to have had a change of heart. Am I wrong or is this true? And if so, why the change?

15. NJRocket

all you are pointing out is that you constantly contradict yourself throughout this thread

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The car didn't stop because the customary reaction when seeing approaching US military convoy is to pull over to the side of a road. Are you saying if you can't quickly tell the identities of the driver and the passengers in the vehicle, do you automatically assume they are suicide bombers and shoot the hell of them? Why can't there be any discretions and prudence exercised?

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sounds like he's working out some serious feelings.

18. ricky-retardo

ricky-retardo Contributing Member

Within the article it says they tried to stop the vehicle, then fired warning shots and only then did they use deadly force. With the people who have been suicide bombers anyone could be one. They did try not to use deadly force. I will be honest I do not know what the customary reaction is over there because I have never been. I think you need to think that everyone could be a suicide bomber because the second you let your guard down is when you get killed. I can only judge this case by what I see in this article. All that I know is that I would not want to be in their situation.

19. u851662

You are remembering incorrectly, I never was pro war man. You've got the wrong guy. Like I said before at the outset I gave the admin the benefit of doubt like everyone did behind the WMD claim.

20. u851662

How do I contradict myself? By saying that I understand why the soliders would shoot? Explain it to me, what part of what I have typed is confusing you? They shoot because they are afraid for their own lives. Quiet frankly, I would do the same. How is this blaming the troops? What are you talking about? :confused: