1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith has agreed to sign with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bobbythegreat, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Do you like the move for the Rockets to sign Josh Smith at the bi-annual exception ($2.1M)?

1. YES

862 vote(s)
    94.8%
  2. NO

47 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

It depends on how this all translates into wins.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Media has been saying Smith jacks 3's like Watt sacks QBs, but in reality, Josh is only averaging 1.3 attempts/game.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Exciting news, for now.

I am a little concerned how he fits in on offense, and how this might impact D-Mo's growth.

4. hakeemthagreat

Good call. I couldn't explain why I liked him coming here so much, but this is why. The Rockets have been nice guys for so long. Now we have a team of agitators that won't take crap from ANYBODY. I remember KD dunking on T.Jones last year and screaming "BIIIITCH" right in his face. I can't see that happening to Smith without a confrontation. This team will be ruthless

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Question: how does a 1 year deal affect our ability to resign him in the off season?
    Does it come down to cap space?

1 person likes this.
  6. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Damn we deep.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I brought up the same point yesterday, its something thats being overlooked. Dmo's growth has been nothing short of amazing...and who seriously knows how good the kid can become...especially under the direction of great post players like Mchale and Hakeem.

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

National media will hate us even more, that's why I love it!! It will something like this:

"First Harden landed in Morey's lap and now he got lucky the Pistons are such a badly run organisation. Still not contenders.." :cool:

9. HTM

HTM Member

10. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

11. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Soooo excited, yessss! A legit power forward. Hope he plays well, so we can keep him next season as our third .

12. HTM

HTM Member

13. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Salary cap wise, are the Rockets still able trade for Dragic and resign Smith for a decent contract next season assuming he does well?

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Awesome! Josh Smith is a great fit with the starting lineup!

If we give up D-Mo for Dragic, the Suns can forget about the NOP pick. No way in hell, am I trading both D-Mo and NOP pick for a potential rental of Goran Dragic.

15. i3artow i3aller

:cool: Dwight Howard/Josh Smith pick and rolls on tap? :grin:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IuHnW9xgVQg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Cypress

Cypress Member

Morey Morey Morey Morey Morey Morey Morey.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If there's anyone who can help Dmo keep improving from off the bench, it's McHale.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't see why people say this. I just find this outlook blatantly false. Morey provided us depth at the very start of the season.

Starters: Beverley, Harden, Ariza, T-Jones, Howard

Depth (Quality Unknown): D-Mo, Terry, K-Papa, Canaan, Black, Dorsey, Garcia, Daniels, Johnson, Capela

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call DEPTH. The question was however, was this quality depth or bodies depth? Over time and on the way to an amazing 20-7 record in the Wild Wild West, we discovered it was quality depth as different players stepped up big to help us weather injuries.

Evolved Depth
    Quality: Terry, K-Papa, Canaan, T-Jones (pending return)
    Bodies: Black, Dorsey, Garcia, Daniels, Johnson, Capela

What Morey has done in the last week or so is culling bodies depth and adding on even higher quality depth. Take a look at what our roster looks like now:

Starters: Beverley, Harden, Ariza, J-Smith (planned), Howard
    Quality Depth: D-Mo, Brewer, Terry, K-Papa, Canaan, T-Jones (assuming he comes back)
    Bodies Depth: Dorsey, Black, Sved, Johnson, and Capela
    * We will be dropping a body from Bodies Depth to make room for Smith. I assume it will be Black.

I will reiterate; we always had depth, it was just a question of whether or not it was any good due to being mostly unknowns. Well, our unknowns stepped up big and now we bolstered them even more.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Even if Smith turns out to be Kwame Brown you have to love this move just because.....

[​IMG]

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

no he is tied for forth in line with ariza.

1 harden
    2 howard
    3 dragic

4 peat ;)