1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Innes is back, this time with 790

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jimmy Chitwood, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Charlie P was just boring, that's really the long and short of it. By the time he came on in the afternoon, most of the day's sports topics had already been beaten into the ground. His takes were rock solid, but still predictable and boring. And nobody wants to hear old ass Nolan Ryan rambling on about baseball.

True, he wasn't a homer. But if you actually listen to 790 you'd realize that none of the hosts are homers at the moment.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

My hunch is it was more on Bryan Erickson than Christopher.

4. body slam

body slam Member

Thanks

I'm a Charlie fan, but I do not have a problem with him being let go. That's part of the radio business. The problem I have is his replacement. Matt and Lance have been asking listeners to just give him a chance. I did that several years ago. No need to do it again.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Most people work. They don't listen to sports talk radio all day like you apparently do.

Like was said earlier... its good when the host is smarter than the general public.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think most talented personalities should really move towards the podcast format anyways.

Bigger on demand audience, easier/more accurate way of judging listeners, more flexibility in the format.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Charlie likely wasn't cheap. And if the revenue didn't justify the salary, it happens.

That being said, the choice they made could have ramifications that puts the entire network at jeopardy.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Josh Innes is the only sports radio guy I've refused to ever listen to again. I don't listen to radio to get upset, but the things he said were so idiotic and mean-spirited, I chose to turn him off for good after a few weeks of listening to him.

Charlie always needed a partner to liven up his show. He may have been knowledgeable, but he was boring to listen to; much like Adam Wexler.
    As far as his negativity, all I can say is he droned on for the past two decades about how the 90's Championship Rockets didn't really deserve to with the titles. That reason alone should have gotten him the boot years ago.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No sane person or organization can justify a racist, incompetent, moronic babbler like Josh Anus over a qualified, competent, knowledgeable Charlie Pallilo well unless you are 790. He may have been boring to some but I'd take boring with deep sports insight as well as excellent interviews with the likes of Bullard, Rockets coaches etc over a dick jokes and momma jokes guy.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Debatable. Sports are not complicated enough for a host to need to be "smart." In fact I can't name a single "smart" radio host, condescending and knowing baseball stats I don't care about doesn't qualify as smart to me. Any semi-conscious human should be able to discern their own sports opinions without being told them by someone "knowledgable."

Ultimately its about entertainment. Matt Thomas isn't the smartest guy in the field, but he genuinely seems like a friendly and honest person and does his very best to keep his audience entertained. Thats why he has been the best radio guy in the market for quite a while now imo.

Charlie was never entertaining to listen to for me personally, and his negative attitude is quite frankly depressing to be around (or listen to in this case). I'm a lot more interested in positive vibes.

But as I said earlier, as much as I was not a big Charlie fan, replacing him with a prick like Innes is embarrassing for 790 and the city of Houston. I'll take boring and "knowledgeable" over a racist, ******, loudmouth, piece of crap 10/10 times.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

i still haven't seen an answer.....

what was pallilo to be happy about in the last 5 years? what have YOU been happy about?

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's never been happy.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its sports-talk radio... honestly, if you're taking the time to listen to it, most sports fans would prefer that the topics be largely sports-related.

Matt Thomas, the supposed best radio guy in the market, has been shuffled from mid-day to late day to AM all within the last year. He certainly is a quality broadcaster... but he's clearly got the same ratings/audience issues that all the broadcasters currently have.

IMO, these shows are only as good as the sports teams are... which should provide the bulk of the content. Without quality sports teams, there's really no interest, and there's not that much other stuff to talk about.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Another tidbit to keep in mind: Charlie always understood what comes first in this town... the well-being and overall performance of the local sports teams.

Even Matt has gone off on a tangential format... where WWE, twitter happenings, and fantasy sports are all not only fair game, but have entire segments built around it.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Maybe "smart" was the wrong word.

If it's someone's job to talk about sports for 4 hours a day, I do expect them to be a little better at it than your average doofus who can't name a single Rocket besides James Harden.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

At least he watches all the sports which is probably more than what most of the hosts did.

Matt Thomas probably only watches the rockets because he has to. I don't think he watches any NBA or MLB games other than what he is required to.

#96 Air Langhi, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I don't listen to sports talk radio all day and I work too, Nick. The fact of the matter is that basically none of the 790 hosts are homers, so Charlie wasn't unique in that aspect. No one is questioning his extensive sports knowledge.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He is now the Toyota Center PA announcer (position he held in the 90s during the championship years) and also will do Rockets radio broadcasts on the road. I don't think he would've been chosen nor accepted the position if he did not have a strong interest in the Rockets.

I don't think anyone will ever match CP's level of following all sports, from the big three to hockey, golf, tennis, and college sports.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah you give people too much credit. A job is a job.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Side stepped the question. He was absolutely happy to pump the Rockets on their WCF run. I was originally drawn in by his takes on the last couple seasons of Biggio/Astros. He isn't the friendliest, sparkling personality around but that's not what I listened for.

To be fair, it's a bit rhetorical to make the point that there hasn't been anything confused with greatness around Houston in 20+ years. It's not like he's dogging a 14 win football team. He didn't dog the WCF bound Rockets. He absolutely loved talking about just okay Astros teams the last 2 seasons.

I'd like to know what ND Kalu and Sean Jones think of their new co-worker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.