1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Calderon closing in on deal with Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dat Dude, Jul 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Hahahah....my thoughts exactly.

Morey did a great job underpaying players putting together a good team, so Jeremy's reasonable-ish contract sticks out like a sore thumb.

2. mhch720

mhch720 Member

Jameer Nelson 2.0

3. Raven

Raven Member

Gotta doing something to keep Dirk happy.

4. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

panic move

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

i guess its the norm to overpay everyone now

6. The Stig

The Stig Member

Cuban's absolutely lost it.

I wouldn't pay a penny more than $4m-$5m/year

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

It was an ok move for them. Doesn't turn the ball over, Led the nba in 3 point shooting last year and was second in assists to turnover ratio. It was either him or their first rounder Shane Larkin at point guard.

Still feel like they overpaid but that's the Mavs for you. Old and overpaid

8. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

And alotta people on this board think getting Ryan Anderson, who stands around and only chucks 3's for over $8 mil a year is a good idea. The market is ridiculous... I also thought the Rockets could probably get Calderon for around 4 yr/$16-18 mil. Cuban messed up bad. Calderon isn't much of an upgrade over Collison and that money would have been much better spent on OJ Mayo who got $8 mil per. Poor choice by the Mavs, both in letting OJ walk, and in overpaying for an aging Calderon. I thought the Mavs were tryin to get younger and more capable, not slower and less competitive

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Someone please with the matador Caleron comic HAHAHAHAHAAHA

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

I would have loved Calderon here, but not with that contract.

Typical Cuban move trying to overcompensate for missing Dwight.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

12. Granville

Granville Member

So much for that bs about Cuban being the best owner in the NBA and all the players wanting to play for him. Les Alexander farts in his general direction.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Wow, I thought the Mavs would overpay but only on an 1 year deal to protect cap room in 2014.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it almost seems like cuban offered this to block us, haha

almost right? ahaha

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I think they are.

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Sorry, don't follow. How can Calderon signing with Mavs block Houston?
    We have Beverley.

17. Aleron

#37 Aleron, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  18. Aleron

because Calderon is a prime option to replace Lin, and he WAY overpaid.

the thing with Lin is, while I don't think he's a bad player, he underplays his contract based on potential, potential isn't really something we want right now, we want known commodities surrounding Howard and Harden.

That's why I think we would have gone after Jose and now Jack (he wants $6m a year, we can probably give him something starting at 5-5.5 imo), we don't have time to wait 1 or 2 years. The exception are players who are young and are outplaying their contracts, see Harden and Parsons for Captain obvious exceptions.

From a contract pov, the thing with those contracts was at the time they were paid to be on in most likelihood a bad team, you can pay less for talent on a good team.

It's one of those things where contracts have other benefits thrown in, a good city is worth more, a great city like ny even more, state taxes have a value, and of course for say Jack, being the starting pg of a contender has additional value.

The LoF's complain about Harden always having the ball in his hand, and they have a point, they just don't understand the final ramification of that point, because they'll say Lin is better with the ball in his hand etc, the problem there is, you don't want the ball in Lin's hands, but Lin certainly is better with it in his hands, he's like a duck out of water with the low usage rate and that spot will be seeing a large usage drop, see where this is going? Lin is a round peg in the square hole that is James Harden, and the square hole is more important, add the other 2 guys we want and it becomes much worse.

That's not to say that I think he should be replaced with anyone, but someone like Jarrett Jack, a guy with good handles, great shooting, and better ability to play as a combo guard, making him far more adaptable to a low usage rate is a much better option when you're looking to do what we're doing. In essence it's the same as why Lin would be terrible with say a Miami Heat team.

Yes Morey is looking to move him, you'd be naive to think otherwise. A relevant quote here is what Doc said about Morey, he lies to you by telling you the truth, you read "they will contribute" to mean playing for the team, but clearing space to acquire a better suited player is contributing as well, it's all in the delivery and your perceptions, he throws the scent off by including Harden, however in reality everyone contributes differently....

#38 Aleron, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  19. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Calderon is not getting overpaid on this contract. That's about what he's worth.

ABJs need to realize that the only way you get a cheap starting PG in the NBA is if they're on their rookie contract. You're not going to get a PG who is equal or better than Lin and save cap room doing it. It's just delusional to expect it to happen.

20. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

If you think Calderon is getting overpaid, wait until you see what Teague and Jennings get.