1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Altuve signs 5-year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Feb 6, 2024.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sure, but if I were a player, there is no doubt he would be my agent.

donkeypunch likes this.
  2. Yordan The Great

IBTL likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astro for life! That would put him at 18 years for our team. It's great to see another Houston player dedicated for life on our team since Biggio's 20 year career. Let's win this next year's World Series for Altuve! Screw the Altuve haters and money chasers who don't stick around for the team. Altuve chose to be an Astro for life. :)

Radricky, ROCKSS, roadtrip and 3 others like this.
  4. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Very well said.

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I don't want to misrepresent what you're saying but I'm assuming you mean Correa and Springer? They both contributed tons to this teams success. The Astros manipulated Springers time which put a bad taste in his mouth. On Correa, the Astros didn't really want him anymore unless he signed a less than market value deal. He has always talked about Houston in a positive note. He also knew he was hurt and took the most money which.is understandable.

It's always awesome to have a guy like Altuve but Correa and Springer should be well received by the fan base too

Radricky and Wulaw Horn like this.
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Now get this man a decent new HEB commercial!!!

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You assumed wrong.

8. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Ok then I apologize

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Boras likes his clients to get the most money possible and that’s usually go to FA, but this Altuve deal is an extension where the Astros likely paid more money than anyone would have in FA because he’s more important to us than anyone else and because we are interested in doing right by him.
    Boras didn’t leave any money on the table here.

GOATuve likes this.
  10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly what happened. All press releases go through Bagwell, as well as trades, free agent signings, coaching hires, media personnel and choice of catering. He wields unquestioned power, and acts as shadow owner of the franchise.

Or maybe it was just a press release being diplomatic about the Astros GOAT, anybodies guess.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No problem.

B-Bob and GOATuve like this.
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And they just conveniently ignore that the press release also mentions Craig Biggio...

The *entire* point of this contract is that it will provide the Astros another all-time great who will play their entire career with the Astros. That's a BIG deal; especially if Altuve eventually winds up in Cooperstown. You know, like Bagwell & Biggio. It would be significantly more noteworthy if they *didn't* mention those two.

People need to get a life.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The bottom line is that the players work long and hard to finally have choices.

I realize they can just join the workforce if they don't like the rules, and are compensated very well but none of us have no choice where we work.

In addition to the hard feelings, George also, reportedly, wanted to play close to home.

There are many reasons and the player has earned the right. I would never begrudge a player for leaving but it took me years (Carlos Beltraitor) but most never asked to come here to begin with and humans should have that choice.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you change all the baseball references to basketball references (and replace the cheating stuff with Jordon retiring stuff) in your first 2 paragraphs, you could be talking about Dream.

That should tell you something.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Let's not go that far. Dream had some serious Character flaws as a human. He was better when he got older but he was an ******* until the 90s.

17. HeyBudLetsParty

For real, I didn’t love it when he was super involved with the GMless Astros, but the Baggy slander has gotten out of hand. Dude loves the franchise and will do whatever he can to help/improve, the decision makers have every right to value his opinion.

ryan_98 and The Beard like this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

Yeah, he didn't mellow out until he got really into his faith. Before the 90s he was a walking flagrant foul, several instances of bad sportmanship. People also forget the bad attitude he showed when he oversold a hamstring injury when he wasn't happy about his contract situation. I think was maybe 91 or 92, right before Rudy T (who should also get some credit for Hakeem's maturation.) Altuve has never done anything like that.

Hakeem really turned it around and became a guy who was praised for his maturity and professionalism. I did hear a couple of stories about him, post-playing career that were a little funny. Like once he rolled into a fine italian restaurant about 10 deep, when the tab came he called the owner over and told him his whole table should eat free, now that Hakeem has been seen there it will raise the restaurant's profile and bring him more business. Owner was like "nah, I'm booked every night, if you want to help my business, please pay your tab."

Buck Turgidson and rockbox like this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've been following him since the Phi Slamma Jamma days, so yeah....I'm aware. But I'm referring to Hakeem not Akeem. The guy that carried his team to 2 Chips and did it with a grace and dignity that I've never witnessed before or since.

Akeem did have some good moments though:

[​IMG]

mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I wonder if Altuve and Mookie switched places, especially since the latter is more guilty, if the treatment from the media and fan bases would be the same.