1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show - Intelligent World Mourns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'd bet most Daily Show viewer use at least one news aggregator site. They're probably internet savvy unlike FAUX viewers.

My homepage is ig home with Google news, the NY Times, CNN, NPR and the BBC

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

which means you're getting your news from several sites, but essentially the same source, and with zero political, or intellectual, diversity.

3. basso

Supporting Member

news aggregation is your idea of internet savvy?

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

From the early days of electronic comedy stretching from Will Rogers through the present, political comedy has been an important American asset. We need an ever widening circle of comedians willing to let the air out of the tires of sacrosanct politicians and bureaucrats regardless of their political stripes.

Jon Stewart over the years has done an excellent job of that, although I do lament that some here view his work as "news" rather than savvy satire and/or commentary.

I commend Stewart for deciding to leave his show while at the top, or near the top, of his game. A hiatus in his career at this point may breathe new life into even brighter and more salient projects. Let us so hope.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I don't know anyone who view his work as "news" as opposed to entertainment. Stewart has taken great pains to point out that his is NOT a "news" show, that it is aired on Comedy Central, and that the fact that people point out that he is better than the 24-hour "news" channels speaks to their low quality, not to his status as any kind of newsman.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^^

GladiatoRowdy -- please read the thread before making idiotic comments like you just did. You're wrong.

7. basso

Supporting Member

nobody ever said they got their news from Will Rogers.

8. thumbs

Ummmm, I don't think I did either.

9. GladiatoRowdy

LOL. I did specifically said that "I don't know anyone" who fit the description I used. I'm sorry you are unable to properly infer that I was talking about people I know, not anonymous posters on a BBS, but your inability to understand would make YOU the one making "idiotic comments."

You must really enjoy being my beyotch, given the number of times you let me punk you like this.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

BWAAAAAHAHAHA what a pathetic dance! You know what you meant, and you got called out, son.

Dance! Dance! Dance!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. basso

Supporting Member

indeed, you did not.

12. GladiatoRowdy

Your inability to understand points to YOU as the idiot, idiot.

It must truly suck to be so completely owned by another poster as you are by me.

13. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I'll give this to Jon, he takes the effort to read and evaluate his guest's books (which a third of the guest are on to promote). It's funny to hear guest say "I say it in my book, read my book" and are surprised when he response... "I did". I find that most others don't take the time.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Conservatives attack his show as news because he cuts right through conservative nonsense that doubles as policy, he's really funny doing it, and boy is there a lot of it out there. They're like the gift that keeps on giving. Conservative responses are generally angry and nasty. They don't know how to deal with him really because they don't have anyone on the conservative end of the spectrum that can do what Stewart does in such a light and funny way.

15. thumbs

Apparently you are unfamiliar with comedian/commentators such as Dennis Miller and Greg Gutfeld.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Actually I am, that's why I made the comment. :grin:

17. Buck Turgidson

Milo Hamilton says "Put a yello...errr...gold star on that one!!!"

Last Week Tonight with former Daily Show guy John Oliver, Sundays on HBO, is a quality show.

18. Dubious

There are millions of viewers of TDS that are less inclined to accept political bulls*** and 24 hour news cycle hyperbole.

That's a legacy that won't die.

It's still ineffective against the overwhelming corporate control of information and politics, but at least the cadre' exists.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My kids and the two of us that raised them all get news from a host of sources, but the most honest news, certainly in my opinion, came/comes from The Daily Show. Seem odd because it is supposed to be just a "comedy" program? Only if you weren't a regular viewer.

Stewart consistently exposed the lies and hypocrisy of both the Right and the Left on a regular basis which, assuming the viewer was possessed of a modicum of intelligence and could understand what Jon was doing, gave a real picture of the news topic not with only satire, but with simple facts. A politician of any political stripe suddenly change his views to get votes? Stewart would show an entire series of clips of said politician saying the complete opposite. Not just once, but many times, and over a period of years. THAT, friends, is both news and highly educational. My children acquired a real education of political hypocrisy and the need to not take things at face value, but to dig deep and reach the truth. An education that is priceless, in my opinion. The topper? Stewart was also very funny, sometimes hilarious, while doing so.

Those taking cheap shots at him, or me for my comments, either have an agenda, or were not regular viewers of the program, in my humble opinion. And that's OK. I'm not insulted, and Stewart certainly isn't. However, your comments speak louder to what you are than they speak to what I am. An American interested in the truth, and Stewart, in his own funny way, served up the truth 4 nights a week. He will be deeply missed. Brian Williams will be forgotten, a footnote in the history of news coverage in America, when doctoral students are still writing dissertations about the impact Jon Stewart had on this country while hosting The Daily Show. Again, in my humble opinion.

20. Dubious