1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show - Intelligent World Mourns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Feb 11, 2015.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Texxx would be a perfect fit to replace Colbert. However, it would be odd because he would be serious.

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Ex-Yahoo CEO: I would pay Jon Stewart $100 million per year to relaunch his show

http://www.businessinsider.com/jon-stewart-100-million-2015-2

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

because playing a cable news clip and mugging for the camera is so high brow

Stewart and his audience (declining and aging) realized his schtick was played out

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Did you like the "Duller Image Catalog" bit or "Funny Headlines"?

Some of those Funny Headlines were great! :) (according to bigtexxx...)

5. Commodore

your posts only validate the perception of self-superiority Stewart's audience has

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You are such a touchy libertarian. Whaaaaaaaa.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is sad but it was going to happen sooner or later. I'm surprised that Stewart could keep the show going for so long and keep it funny. It might be better that Stewart leave now while he's close to the top of his game.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm still depressed. So are our two kids, adults now (23 and 19), who grew up watching Daily. I mentioned that in the Hangout thread, but not here. We would record the previous night's show and they would watch it when they got home from school before doing homework. Did that from the time both were in grade school, and until they left for college. It's the best source for honest news that we have in this country, an opinion we share. Stewart will be deeply missed. I hope he ends up doing a simlar show someday, perhaps one on a network where he won't get "bleeped." We'll be waiting.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

bwaaaahaha it's a comedy show brah!

low information voters....sigh

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sigh indeed.

[​IMG]

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

flawed survey -- Daily show viewers likely getting news from other sources as well.

fail

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I replied about this in the other thread. I'm not even disputing the numbers. It is just obvious that the Daily Show isn't a source of news. The point of the show is to make fun of other news shows so people who watch a bunch of news shows will be attracted to it. I watch PBS and the amount of information isn't even close. First off it is an hour and second they have actual reporters. Also how old is that poll? Lehrer hasn't hosted PBS for several years.

I think you could have included Conan and had a similar result.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So how does that prove bigtexxx' ridiculous post (redundant, I know)?

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

it's too bad he couldn't have morphed it into something that kept him/us interested while maintaining the political satire.....he was a generation's Johnny Carson/SNL must watch. He'll be very tough to replace. His balance between serious and goofy was usually spot on.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Daily Show's ratings have been declining and the avg audience age is 40. It was time, but Stewart had a helluva run.

I remember the UPN show Stewart ran way back with their segments of toy figures that predated Robot Chicken. Never knew he would be what he is now....

The newshour should be the standard for network news. They even try to be fair in their analysis portion by inviting people like Grover Norquist or industry paid lobbyists.

17. Commodore

the best is when they have two Obama supporters (Shields and Brooks) discuss issues of the day with the Obama supporting moderator Gwen Ifill

hard to tell if PBS actually thinks they are representing the spectrum of public opinion, or if they just don't care

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yes, you sure are.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That was the replacement after Arsenio Hall evaporated overnight in the early '90s, after he in turn salvaged Joan Rivers' and Ross Shafer's old time slot on Fox. I remember when he had Sheryl Crow on, she might have mentioned she was single and he sarcastically started trying to flirt with her. Then another time he was doing a bit about upcoming fall shows and one of them was called "Pssst...I'm Gay!"

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I try to pay attention even when it's not convenient with my comfortable views.

There used to be a day when Conservatives respected the office of the President no matter what party they came from and used that ethical consistency against Liberals who didn't pay similar respect when the President disagreed with their views.

Brooks has been consistent with that respect when he defended Bush. Shields is unabashedly Liberal.

So there's a difference between understanding bias and just flat out reacting to views that doesn't cater to you. Otherwise "news analysis" is just talking heads telling you what to think (something Fox and MSNBC does successfully) rather than providing insight towards an independent conclusion by the viewer.

P.S. This is why I feel conservatism as it is practiced now has gone down the ****ter and is easily led by the nose by smart money.