1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joey Chestnut vs. Kobayashi

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bullardfan, Jul 4, 2011.

?

Who do you got?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2011.
  1. Chestnut

42.6%
  2. Kobayashi

53.2%
  3. other (Chinese or newcomer please explain)

4.3%
  1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

http://weirdnews.aol.com/2011/07/03/chestnut-kobayashi-nathans-hot-dog-2011_n_889560.html
    [​IMG]

Joey Chestnut Battles Takeru Kobayashi From Afar In 2011 Nathan's Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest
    Yankees vs. Red Sox. Tupac vs. Biggie. Chestnut vs. Kobayashi?
    The rivalry between legendary hot dog eaters Joey Chestnut and Takeru Kobayashi is sizzling up again, with the two famed gluttons coming to head for another July 4 face-off. But unlike year's past, the duo won't be eating at the same table.

Chestnut, the reigning champ and hot dog victor every year since 2007, will defend his Mustard Belt at the Nathan's Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest in Brooklyn, N.Y on July 4.
    Meanwhile, Kobayashi will show his stuff on a Manhattan rooftop as the Coney Island contest is broadcast behind him.
    The strange stunt comes one year after Kobayashi skipped the Nathan's Famous competition over a contract dispute with Major League Eating -- the organization that hosts most of the world's preeminent eating contests.
    But after the competition ended, the Japanese eater rushed the stage and was arrested. Charges against the man known as "The Tsunami" were later dropped on the condition that Kobayashi stay out of legal trouble for six months, but Kobayashi and MLE officials have been unable to reconcile their differences in the time since.
    Now an eater in exile, Kobayashi intends to put the hot dogs where his mouth is and prove he's still a top tier competitive eater in an unsanctioned exposition at 230 FIFTH, a rooftop bar.

"He's definitely at the stage where either you win, or you don't win," said retired competitive eater Ed "Cookie" Jarvis. "And when you don't win, you just become another guy."
    Chestnut isn't only battling Kobayashi -- he's also battling the record books.
    The California native recently claimed his body is built to consume 68 HDBs (hot dogs and buns) in 10 minutes.
    But the champ, known around the speed eating scene by the nickname "Jaws," is reportedly aiming to shatter that 2009 record by putting away an astounding 75 HDBs.
    "I strongly believe Joey will break the record of 68 this year," said Major League Eating president George Shea.
    All eyes are on Chestnut -- who is so widely considered to be the favorite that even sports bookies are putting faith in him.
    But some insiders think 2011 might be the year when a seemingly unshakeable stomach gets upset.
    The contest will feature China's first foray into competitive eating, with the world's most populous country sending three largely unknown challengers. Competitive eaters are chewing up rumors of their abilities.
    The level of skill at the Nathan's Famous competition has greatly improved, as evidenced by the fact that perennial crowd favorites Eric "Badlands" Booker and Crazy Legs Conti failed to qualify.
    "It's a real sad day for the hardcore, old school fan," said Shea. "They didn't eat fewer. Other people ate more."
    Some insiders think this could be the year when skilled eaters like Tim "Eater X" Janus or Pat "Deep Dish" Bertoletti -- the 2nd and 3rd place finishers at last year's competition -- will earn the top slot.
    "I am more committed and in better eating shape than I have ever been before," Bertoletti told AOL Weird News in the days before the competition.
    The playing field -- err... tablecloth -- is more level than it has been in years, according to Jarvis.
    "These guys are bringing their A game," he said. "It only takes one bad burp -- believe me, I've had it happen."

#1 bullardfan, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

America **** Yeah!!! I was actually surprised about how happy I was an American took the title back. I don't even care for competitve eating but that is just embarrassing. That title should belong to an American.

3. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Kobayashi destroyed Chestnut. He ate 69 hot dogs compared to Joey's 62.

4. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I was hoping they would up themselves but gratz to Kobayashi. You know he wanted to win to bad.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is just sad. lol.

Anyway, the top women competing in this would probably beat a lot of the men attempting it, and that's scary considering many of them are like 100-115 lbs. Go Black Widow! :(

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think Kobayashi's victory will count, though, right? I remember reading something like that a day or two ago, anyway.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Because only an American would give a ****?

Happy 4th!

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

he should start his own Eating league to rival the MLE. Chestnut has got to feel like his "title" is tainted and this NOT a what if.
    and doesn't matter if he isn't the MLE champ b/c he holds the world record now.

#8 bullardfan, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  9. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Yeah, he doesn't want to sign with Major League Eating because he wants to be able to compete in other competitions. So they won't count his victory or world record.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Test positive for steroids?

11. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

see if he has THC in his bloodstream?
    The MLE can deny him the belt but they can't deny him the World record.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

"It wasn't a competition," Chestnut said. "It was him just eating. I've done 71 in practice by myself. It's his choice not to be here. He could have signed the same contract he signed three years (ago). It's sad that he thinks he's Kobe Bryant. This is competitive eating. It's supposed to be fun."

http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/news/story?id=6737319

13. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Where's the choice for who the hell cares, one of the dumbest traditions in history?

14. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

it does not count. anti-american you are.

he can't beat him head to head anymore. go back to japan

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

no **** lol

16. dback816

dback816 Member

Remind me again how head to head matters in this?

I mean, you can argue about the whole mental thing when your opponent has a lead over you but all you have to do is not look.

17. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

chestnut had it won and slowed down. if he was behind he would have ate more. kinda simple actually.

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Bear.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HgqbCq_sxmo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  19. dback816

dback816 Member

So it's his own fault then.

Instead of going for his best, he just wanted a win.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's the difference between shooting free throws in an empty gym and shooting free throws in front of a crowd with the game on the line. It's called pressure and it matters.