1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joel Osteen/Lakewood: Good for Christianity or Not?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Chance, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

It's hard to write out without prejudicing the responses but I want to know what some of the Christians or people open to Christianity think about the Ministry of Joel Osteen. I will save my opinions until later in the thread.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Out of curiosity I watched a couple of his services on the internet. In my view he's much more of a motivational speaker/self-help kinda guy than a normal Christian religious service is. Almost Tony Robbins-like, but his message ties back to the Bible. He has a very positive message, but it's obviously quite light on the actual teachings from the Bible.

I don't have a problem with Joel Osteen and I greatly respect him for his ability to deliver a message, hold the public's attention and speak in public. He's really exceptional at those things.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Judge it by its fruits.

I know that Lakewood kicked into gear big time when the city needed it during Allison. They literally turned their church into a shelter for hundreds, if not thousands, of people.

I don't agree with the theology, entirely, as I've said before. But as Paul said to the church in Phillipi, "It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill...the former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely...But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this, I rejoice."

and finally I'll say this...my dad is not a follower...his attention span is that of a gnat. He dozes off in sermons. He hasn't been to a church in many years. But he watches Osteen. If Osteen is bringing Christ to my father in any way, shape or form...then I'm grateful.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like Joel
    I am like Max's father . .. most sermons bore me to tears
    Joel is very positive and motivating
    He accentuates the positives

not a whole lot of condemnation and anger and hatred

I see very litte wrong with Lakewood

I hate big churches. . but I try to judge the message
    not the building/size of congregation

I'm not religious . .. more spiritual

Rocket River
    at least he ain't calling for the assassination of other world leaders

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Two packed house sermons at the summit each weekend -- correct?

That is amazing.

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

A televangelist attracting large crowds?

Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, Robert Tilton, etc. used to do it routinely with ease.

7. MadMax

not arguing with you at all...let me give you what the criticism is. where i disagree with lakewood.

the concern among many is that he's preaching Christianity-lite. be a christian and life is just easy. ain't so. life was hard for jesus and hard for his closest followers. most went to their death. jesus told them they would be persecuted. that they would not have a place to lay their heads. what we've seen from a lot of televangelists is what is called Prosperity Gospel. if you're sick, it's only because you don't have enough faith. if you're poor, it's only because you don't have enough faith. and if you have faith, God grants blessings and those are worldly blessings like more money, a bigger house and a nicer car.

that ain't what Christ preached. there are hints of that in Osteen's messages, and that's what freaks Christians out. that he's introducing people to Christ, but not building real disciples. and that perhaps the Christ he's introducing people to isn't the one that's captured in the Gospels.

theologically, i agree with the criticism. i do think the message is too lite. there are great non-denominational mega-churches that are bringing people to Christ and still building disciples, as well. Willow Creek in Chicago. Saddleback in California. Those are two great examples. i'm not sure i'd count Lakewood among those.

but my "good things" comments still stand. and ultimately, God is God. Christianity stands on its own through the Bible, no matter what is preached. God will use Lakewood however He sees fit.

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

agreed.

Good intentions, for me wrong message.
    I think the ministry would be just as successful if scripture was left out.

If it's real popular with the general public, well just read how the general public ended up viewing Jesus and the Apostle Paul.

"Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you..." - Jesus Christ

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

First, I don't trust any kind of spiritual showmanship.

I agree with Max about this. His message seems about believing in Jesus/God to acquire "things" that bring you happiness.

And I don't think there is one Christianity. There are many Christianities. The bigger question is "is his message good for mankind"?

10. rhester

In my opinion yes, in many ways.

Actually I went there a few times with a Pastor who knew John Osteen well. I liked John Osteen and Joel was just a small boy the times I went to the church.

I think Joel is a very good speaker and I am sure he is serving God in his own way. He is very successful and the message helps lots of people.
    I don't want to criticize him as a person in any way and I am sure he is very sincere in his belief in God.

The ministry in my opinion is good for those who need practical help in life, but I would not recommend it to anyone who wanted to enter heaven.

The message lacks repentance and the faith that results in salvation.

I don't know that some may find Christ and eternal life through the ministry. God only knows that. I would not personally recommend that 'lite' message as what the Bible teaches to inherit eternal life.

Good intentions.
    Wrong message.

11. Chance

Ok. I am with MadMax and rhester. The God that I know and trust is not a genie. Joel actually preaches on the favor of God and how it helps him get bumped from coach to first class on an airplane. He teaches that God’s favor will magically make people let you in front of them in line. That if you verbally speak God’s favor over it, you will not face as much traffic. In fact, I can’t find much that I agree with in his teachings. He starts his television ministry with a speech about how “This is my bible, I believe what’s in it” and all that but then doesn’t use it enough and teaches things that are not in it. He boasts that he has not uttered the word ‘sin’ from the pulpit in all of his years of ministry. What is that about?

I believe that his intentions are noble. I believe that he believes in what he is teaching. I just wish he would use his amazing oratory skills and create a body of believers that feel compelled to distribute the Word of God and His Son and not the ministry he is currently spreading.

There comes a point where he does damage to the faith and I believe he is there with a lot of people. And they don’t know it. They are believing in "belief" instead of God.

12. Chance

The question was posed "is he good for Christianity".

And any believer knows that there is only one Christianity. Men have screwed it up with the marketing of denominations. There is only one Christianity.

13. MR. MEOWGI

Then show it to me.

I don't think any two people have the exact Christianity. The two people would have to think exactly the same.

14. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Spot-on Max, I have a problem with "prosperity gospel"--it seems counter-intuitive to JC's message of giving up worldly possessions and storing your treasure in Heaven, not earth.

That said, his theology while "lite", is FAR and away better than the "Dispensation"/original sin/brimstone message of "clergymen" like Pastor Hagee(sp?) in San Antonio...His message is nothing but heaven or hell and a 12-step program to assure your soul will fly up to heaven at the rapture and rejoice while everyone else is cast into the fiery pits of Hell.

#15 wouldabeen23, Aug 25, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  15. MadMax

wow, does he really? i didn't know that.

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

17. rhester

Read the Bible, that's the one. :D

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Spot on ~ I couldn't agree more -- I'm so confused by all the denominations, sects, etc. it makes my head swim.

I should add that i'm very leery of any giant 'churches' like Lakewood that are flashy and use a lot of advertising.

Should Lakewood really be tax exempt?

19. MR. MEOWGI

Which Bible?