1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jobs] Anyone know any companies hiring Electrical Engineering interns?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chopped, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Chopped

Chopped Member

I know its a bit late to be looking for a summer internship but figured it was worth a shot. Does anyone know if any companies around the Houston area are hiring any EE interns?

2. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

shouldnt have played around so much in Cal1, buddy.

3. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

4. Chopped

Chopped Member

Good times, got that A to boot.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

What are your qualifications? What field are you interested in? EE is a broad major.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm hiring an intern to work out of my house -- do you give good massages?

7. Chopped

Chopped Member

I'm mostly interested in embedded systems, next two semesters should expose me to more of what EE is about. I'm planning on taking microprocessor programming (c and assembly) and digital electronics. Since it is so late to be looking for internships, I have no preference on what EE field the internship is in.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm also interested in embedded systems.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No engineering background whatsoever, but I wouldn't limit myself to Houston. Just find a list of the biggest power utilities in the South and Midwest and go to town: maybe even look at some of the Universities' career websites to see who hires for internships. Also, look at the Texas state Public Utilities Commission, ERCOT or maybe even the Railroad Commission.

You should also be looking at the power trading division of local branches/commodity divisions for big investment banks: I have a finance degree and have been scheduling gas for eight years, but recently got rejected from a Power Trade Settlements/Accounting job with Citigroup, I think they wanted someone who knew or could learn the power grid.

Also, look at gas or oil pipeline companies like El Paso, Energy Transfer, Southern Union Gas, Kinder Morgan or Northern Natural Gas. Their operations management/gas control/project planning divisions will look at engineers from any of the three disciplines (civil, chemical, electrical).

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Looks like you're probably an underclassman and haven't really taking core EE classes yet. It's probably too late for an internship because most companies hire at least rising juniors or seniors. I would see if you can work for a professor for research or something. I am a EE and did research with a professor between sophomore and junior years, got two papers published, then interned for a big company between junior and senior year, and got hired full-time and work for them now.

11. Chopped

Chopped Member

I have 3 semesters left so not really an underclassman, the EE course load at UH is heavy towards the last few semesters.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Have you taken any power classes? What is your GPA? Any programming experience?

13. Chopped

Chopped Member

I'm planning on taking power electronics later, its only offered in the spring. I have C and java experience. My gpa is around a 3.46 so that shouldn't be an issue when looking for internships.

14. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Last time I checked about a month ago, there was an internship for Electrical Engineering for Verizon Wireless here in Houston

15. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

have you checked with the career center? they are the ones who get students internships