1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Redick calls Chinese fans racial slur

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsFan2017, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yeah... the world's turning to sh*t.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think you actually agreed with me in a roundabout sort of way. Physiological differences are slight. Exceptions like sickle cell anemia are common among African populations and the same gene codes for prevention of malaria. The stamp of environmental issues is all over this topic. Regardless, racial prejudice is moronic.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

so has he been arrested yet?

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Some proactive Jerry Lin fans wrote a strongly worded letter to his HOA.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know where you get the idea that apology has to have moral implication. Do you not apologize for sneezing in public when sneezing has no moral implication whatsoever?

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good example. You have convinced me to change my opinion. A simple apology is warranted.

This example does seem more comparable to bumping into somene on accident, however. The sudden noisiness of a sneeze is jarring to one’s sense of hearing, and I’m also potentially spreading my germs which may impact them physically. By saying “excuse me” one is accepting responsibility for others’ discomfort as a result of their actions. It is both expressing empathy for the pain experienced by others and acknowledging that one is the cause of that pain.

Easy likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

His apology was sincere, but that was more of a Freudian slip than his tongue getting tied.

AroundTheWorld and LCII like this.
  8. mig0s

mig0s Member

Lop not sure if this @durvasa is trolling or just not very smart. Who the fk are you to dictate how other people should feel offended or not? Intentional or not, Redick said the C word. He should just apologize and move on.

AroundTheWorld, LCII and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are all kinds of f-up right now. The mental gymnastics you are performing to justify Redicks stupidity is mind boggling.

I dont really believe many if any members of CF are racist but there is some deep seated ignor ance being spouted and spewed right now.

Doesn't matter how a wrong is explained, it will not make it right. Don't use the C word, or the N word or any other known hate words. If you do then apologize and take your lumps, most importantly learn from it and don't do it again.

I cannot understand people who lack accountability, who must find someone or something to blame. Taking responsibility for ones mistake builds character. This is used to be a core American value.

AroundTheWorld and malakas like this.
  10. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Ultimately, there's three possibilities:
    1. He said it purposefully.

2. It was a Freudian slip. Meaning he wasn't intending to say it out loud but ended up saying what he was thinking in his head.

3. He had no intention and wasn't even thinking it. It was truly a slip of the tongue.

No one knows the truth but Redick.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. Exiled

Exiled Member

He can't be this stupid

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

what are you saying? Reddick was speaking english and he used an english word.

But there are plenty of examples of ppl from other cultures without intent offending people from other cultures.
    For example
    http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=18711#.Wovt6qjFLIU
    Which is not an offensive gesture in Europe and in fact I'm not even sure if it's offensive in Asia. But because in America it is offensive they were forced to apologise.

Whether it is with intent or not when you offend someone you should offer an apology imo.

But again this has nothing to do with Reddick.

D-rock likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Racism will always exist in cultures as long as people are different.

It's just silly to make the mistake on TV when everyone is watching you wishing them Happy New Year.

14. durvasa

So one should always apologize for anything they do that causes someone to be offended. It doesn’t matter what are the reasons for them being offended, since it’s not our place to “dictate” how they should be offended? I don’t agree we as a society should “dictate” that one always apologizes whenever others are offended.

But @Easy has convinced me that a simple apology was warranted in this case to diffuse the distress felt by others for having to hear a sound that resembles “Chink” in the context of the sentence he was speaking. There needs to be some allowance for the fact that we are not fully rational creatures and our emotional brain will invariably take offense at actions even when on further inspection the action is completely innocent. In this case, that has to be expected in particular for people who have some East Asian ethnic background. I’m guessing that applies to most of the people in this thread who so vociferously hate my objection to their reaction and are further offended by it. So, to those people: I apologize.

15. durvasa

The dictionary definition of speaking:

The action of expressing information or conveying one’s thoughts or feelings in spoken language.

Does that definition apply when one garbles their words and the sound ends up resembling a word they did not intend to utter? You tell me.

To diffuse tension, an apology is, practically speaking, a good idea. I do not deny that at all.

I’ll just put it this way. I can’t imagine personally demanding or expecting someone to apologize to me for a sound accidentally coming out of their mouths that resembles an offensive word. If you feel differently, fine.

16. riko

riko Member

A anti JJ video will be released soon like the one the nujob lin fan made about Harden which went viral. lolJJ watch you're back bruh.

Roomba likes this.
  17. durvasa

People taking offense and having a good reason to be offended are two different things. You are merely stating the obvious that there are people who will take offense at anything and everything, regardless of intent.

One thing isn’t clear to me: Do you personally take offense if someone makes a sound that resembles an offensive term but you know the sound came out by accident? Or do you personally not care and you are only defending other more sensitive people who would take offense?

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I would take offense if someone was talking to me and said something that sounded like a racial slur. I would then ask why the other person said it and if they then explained to me that it was an accident then I would accept the apology if I felt it was sincere. There's no way to know if it was an accident or not before the other side explains, because there's no way to know what's going on inside somebody else's head. That's why JJ's initial reaction came off as kind of douchey, and why the second one, in my opinion, is much better.

I've apologized for doing the same before, it's not that hard.

D-rock likes this.
  19. durvasa

So do you take their explanation as an apology, or you would expect them to apologize in addition to their explanation even if you accept their explanation as sincere?

In JJ’s initial response, he provided an explanation, said he’d never use the word he was accused of speaking, and stated his respect for the Chinese community. You personally consider that douchey because he didn’t apologize on top of that, or are you just saying you’d understand why others may not be satisfied with that?

20. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

If I felt their explanation was sincere than I would just take that as the apology. I'd rather not force the situation to be more uncomfortable than it has to be.

Edit: Though I will confess that I'm more sensitive to this than I otherwise would be because I'm three-quarters Chinese, and being called a "chink" never felt very good (though thankfully it didn't happen very often).

#140 Roomba, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    D-rock and durvasa like this.