1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerry Springer: NFL style (Must Read!)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by countingcrow, Nov 6, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

ESPN Link to Article

Falcons family members argue in stands

Associated Press

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Falcons coach Dan Reeves tried to smooth things over Monday among players whose relatives argued in the stands during Atlanta's loss to the New England Patriots.

Reeves refused to say who was involved, but some who were there and players who were told about it said Monday that Diane Chandler, the wife of quarterback Chris Chandler, confronted people in the family section who cheered when her husband was injured. They were excited because they wanted top draft pick Michael Vick to play.

An argument ensued and someone threw a can at her. Fullback Bob Christian said his father, Jim, caught the can and argued with those cheering, including relatives of receiver Shawn Jefferson.

"Obviously, my dad was too close to it," Christian said. "I think my dad started off trying to keep the peace and then getting in the middle of it, trying to keep the peace, you get a little of it coming your way, too. So he got a little angry about that."

Christian said he and Jefferson apologized to each other for their family's behavior.

"I guess Shawn and I just wanted to make sure I didn't have any hard feelings towards his family and he didn't have any hard feelings towards my dad," Christian said.

Jefferson claimed to be unaware of the situation Monday. Later, he burst into the locker room and threatened reporters if they tried to contact his wife.

"Don't call my wife. Understand me? Anybody!" Jefferson shouted.

Diane Chandler said she was disappointed by some comments from family members of her husband's teammates.

"You just don't root for people to get hurt," she told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "That's the bottom line."

Vick, who struggled after he replaced Chandler in Sunday's 24-10 loss, was upset to hear that people were cheering for any player to get hurt.

"That's so crazy, man," Vick said. "I don't see how anybody could be cheering while somebody's out there getting hit. As hard as we go out there and try to please these fans, as hard as we go out and play, I don't see why anybody would even make those statements."

Chandler, who was not available for comment Monday, was sacked six times before leaving at the end of the third quarter with sore ribs. Reeves said it was too early to tell whether the injury would prevent him from playing when the Falcons (3-4) play host to the Dallas Cowboys (2-5) this week.

Chandler entered the game with the NFL's No. 2 quarterback rating, but he was only 8-of-20 for 95 yards. His lone touchdown pass, a 19-yarder in the first quarter, was caught by Jefferson.

Vick had not played since he struggled during a 31-3 loss to Chicago in Week 4. Against New England, he ran twice for 50 yards and was 2-of-9 for 56 yards and was sacked three times.