1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerome Solomon completely owned Morey about calling players assets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Slack, Apr 23, 2011.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Agree with everything except his last place comment. I can't stand it when journalist are purposely misleading to make their point.

2. Raven

Raven Member

He's a paid troll, just like the other tool they have working there.

3. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Morey does rub off the sense that he treats the players like assets. I could have sworn Morey use to collect and trade cards. He probably has a stack of fleer and a magazine somewhere. Buy it cheap then sell it once the value raises.

I've seen threads throughout the year about "fools gold". This player is fools gold and that player is fools gold, heck even the coach is fools gold. Honestly, the whole structure of how this organization is being built and operated is fools gold.

So, they use to overpay (the cato's, maloney, etc.) and now have revert to the complete opposite. Underpaying! Using "assets" to aquire a star player. Save a buck here, save a buck there and possibly, just possibly, overpay for a true superstar.

This buy low sell high crap isn't going to cut it.

Cheap
    Happy
    Quality

Pick two because you can't have all three.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I didn't stop reading. But that's some "damaging" statement right there, not that I ever had much respect for Solomon.

That said, I do think Morey got over-defensive when he denied that he used the word "assets" to talk about players. As smart and as fact-based as Morey, that's just out of character of him. I am sure it was just the heat of the moment. And he has been under quite a bit of heat with the Adelman thing.

I've been saying all along, it's not a crime to think of players as assets. I think it is generally a known fact that since the team invests lot of money on the players, they ARE assets, and it not a derogatory way of thinking about them.

BUT, if as Martin said, 90% of the players felt like trading assets (implying that they did not feel like they were valued as players here), that's where the problem lies. It's one thing to know that this is a business. It's totally a different thing to feel that you are brought in here just so that some day you can be traded for something better. And it doesn't help when your team was involved in the MOST trade rumors in the league.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont usually like Solomon but he is spot on here, completely called out Morey

6. LandryMegaBeast

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree. Morey IMO needs to feel more on the spot. He has gotten comfortable being THE GENIUS.
    It is pressure time. Time to make some deals

The excuses/reasons are now gone
    no more TMAC and YAO Contracts to blame.
    I think most of CD's players are gone or near gone or were resigned by Morey.

I know he cannot remake the team in an offseason
    but . . . he is on the clock.

This season will be HIS COACH [which I think Adelman also]
    HIS Players. . . HIS Philosophy.

Maybe not the coming year . . but in the next three . . .
    I am thinking we looking toward Playoffs or bust

Rocket River

8. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Great job of calling Morey out and demonstrating that he lied.

9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

[​IMG]

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

You know Solomon hit the red bullseye when so many are choosing to attack him and not his blog content. The fact is, when Morey discusses "player assets" he isn't referencing draft picks. That and his blathering to the media about how no one is untouchable and how we are constantly looking to upgrade has undoubtedly contributed to a less than ideal environment amongst our players. It is no coincidence that the guys have played better post trade deadline for the last few seasons.

This isn't to say that Morey shouldn't be looking to construct a championship squad. That's his job. But equally his job is to induce enough chemistry (comfort) so where the guys feel like a team and not Topps in bicycle spokes. Make the deals when and if you can Daryl, but please learn to shut your mouth or utilize tact when necessary. It's a lesson I wish he would've learned better while apprenticing for Carroll.

1 person likes this.
  11. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

Thanks OP for including the article in your post. I didn't want to give Solomon a page hit.

12. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

You Morey nutjobs have to be the biggest idiots ever. Whether you like Solomon or not, the fact is your favorite GM is as delusional as Dick Cheney saying he never said Sadaam had WMD's. EVERYBODY knows Morey has used the word assets plentiful times. The guy has zero credibility at this point

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I seriously cannot believe Jerome Solomon has a job.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

God the Houston media is so terrible.

15. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Oh noes! How dare a GM lie?!! The outrage!!1!

Seriously..whoop-ti-do

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Anybody siding with Jerome f-ing Solomon over Daryl Morey blows my mind.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The question was whether or not the statement was arbitrary not whether or not it's technically possible for the last place team in a division to make the playoffs. It's possible for the 8th seeded team in a conference to win the NBA title and yet it's not going to happen.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't mind Solomon being a critic of Morey, but sometimes it seems like he's flat out doing his damnedest to flame him.

Remember the #1 rule of journalism in the internet age kiddies... Controversy = web hits = $$$$

20. liljojo

liljojo Member

Solomon could give me a million bucks right now, and I'd still never read anything he writes.

He should not have a job as a sports writer, plain and simple.