1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerome Solomon completely owned Morey about calling players assets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Slack, Apr 23, 2011.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Stopped reading right there.

2. DUHK

DUHK Member

Solomon doesn't like Morey. That is true. A lot of his articles on chron is useless. That is true. But he did clearly point out how Morey was lying when he said he never uses the word "assets". I have to give him that. Morey was obviously being defensive during that interview and probably slipped up.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not arbitrary at all. No Western Conference last place division team has ever made the playoffs.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Its not a secret that Morey said it. Nor he should he have to defend it either. Next time Morey should just said he said the words and apologize if he offended players with the word asset. Then gone about saying its a standard normal word for standard practices in the NBA. Go on to say how he treated Yao like a person his whole tenure here and how good the Rockets are at developing guys like Landry, Budinger, Lowry, and giving alot of guys shots here. Then it would be over. I still dont see the word ASSETS as a bad word.

Think about it? ASSETS. This not so PC a world that your diaper is hurting so bad over this word is it?:rolleyes: I give up if there are people out there like this.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So? Cool story bro?

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Here. Some of you need some wipes over this.

[​IMG]

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Actually just hand those to Kevin Martin and Aaron Brooks.

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This whole thing is kind of ridiculous. The entire argument comes from Kevin Martin’s comment that players felt like assets at the trade deadline. It wasn’t an accusation that Morey had called them that, but a feeling that he said the players had. More than calling players assets, I think it is the result of the Ariza deal. The idea of a player that signed of his own free will to play for the Rockets getting traded after one year is the root of the problem (if it really is a problem). I think that is where the fear that nobody is safe comes from. It is that move more than anything that was said that created the feeling of player assets. Was it an unprecedented move? I will have to leave that for some of the historians, but I’m sure something like that has happened with other teams. I, for one, think it is a good thing not to become overly loyal to your players. For the most part, they are not overly loyal to their teams.

When trying to defend him, you’re really dealing with semantics. I don’t see in any of the quotes that he has referred to a Rockets player as an asset. For the most part, I think Morey is referring to things such as draft picks and expiring contracts when he talks about assets. And while an expiring contract is something that is attached to a player, it should still be viewed as an asset. Because for all of Kevin Martin’s whining, you can be sure that 9 times out of 10, that player is going to go to whatever team offers him the most money on his next contract without any consideration of how his departure is going to affect his current team owner’s feelings.

Whether Morey referred to players as assets is kind of irrelevant. If a player is an asset, that means they are good. An asset is something coveted by other teams. Personally, I think that he believes that everyone in a Rockets uniform deserves to be there. They are all there because of their ability or potential to play basketball at a high level. I don’t think there is anyone he has acquired that was envisioned as a place holder.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Who cares what words they use. Bottom line is that the NBA is a business, so yes, players are assets.

10. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

THIS.

11. MD_in_Training

But, it's possible to make the playoffs being the last team in the division. The criteria you're using is still whether or not they make the playoffs - not whether or not they were last in their division.

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

(1) Have to give it to Solomon, he did a pretty decent job of calling out Morey's BS in 15 minutes. As much as I like Morey, for him to claim that he's never called a player an asset is defensive backpedaling at its finest.

(2) 610 is full of homers, so glad they got called out as well. Although using Barry Warner as the "guy I went running to tell about the BS" doesn't help Solomon's case at all.

(3) If he had said last place in the division, I understand. But a last place standing, in most people's minds, stands for last in the conference. I don't care what kind of agenda Solomon has, that statement/comment was meant to make the situation seem more dire than it is. If I were a sunshine pumper, I could say that Morey led the Rockets to the best record not to make the playoffs, one seed shy of the playoffs, however many games back, etc. Regardless, I think it's all a rather trivial point to get worked up about.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Looks like Solomon was right about the Rox situation before most of us fans.

DD

1 person likes this.
  14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Well said.

Jerome Solomon doesn't own his dog, and the fact that he made such a deal about us being last in the division just emphasizes that he doesn't deserve his job.

Fran Blinebury has been a boy about losing his job here, and Jerome Solomon bringing up his relationship with him doesn't serve him well.

If I knew a dentist, that wouldn't qualify me to pull teeth, and Solomon knowing a writer doesn't make him one, either.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jeromy the Fool speaks the truth. The Hollow Man with the black heart turned The Team of Humans into The Hedge Fund of Human Assets. We have driven out the Wise Alderman and only the Mad False King and the Undead Hunter walk among us.

Dark days are upon us.

1 person likes this.
  16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Pointless article. Players and their contracts ARE assets. Management can try to sugarcoat it all they want, but that's the reality.

17. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Moral of the story...Morey is a BS'er...can't really argue against that.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

my sentiments exactly.

on a side note,
    It seems anyone who critiques morey these days is a "Hater". Too many worshipers these days.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Solomon is a terrible journalist, just as bad a Dick Justice and almost as bad as Blindbury was when he was here.

That being said, this article is straight on the spot. I was thinking exactly what he said this whole week.

Letting Adelman go is a stupid move. Other moves and his philosophy are things I'm starting to doubt.

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

It seems to me that RA's departure was more his idea than Morey's. He was the one putting out ultimatums.