1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin is a joke!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Is Jeremy Lin a joke?

1. Yes :)

321 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No :(

437 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Not really, doesn't really tell us what plays they run. Unless someone has a Synergy account and go thru the video themselves.

2. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I don't understand what you are trying to get at with these. I said I care to see if my assessment is right in that the longer he has the ball in an offense set, the better win ratio we have.

Like I said, I don't think the stats you provided can be used to show his contribution to the offense. If based on what you say is true, then based on probability, everybody's fga, fta, apg should be around the same since the offense does not have an initiator and orchestrator where everybody does the same thing which obviously is not the case.

In games where Harden orchestrates the offense, the ball time in his hands are much longer than everybody else because he has to wait for pieces to be set before orchestrating the pass route. Same goes for Delfino, Parsons and Lin. The initiator and orchestrator needs really good court vision, timing and instinct so that the passes that goes through multiple people, and the screens set, are perfectly synchronized so that one person is open to drive or shoot. So even in the Rocket's offensive set, there are people who will be the main ball handler, it's just the execution is different in that there is no absolute one assist but multiple hockey assists.

3. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

And let me add that if the strategy is so simple in that all you do is move the ball constantly until you find the open guy. Then anyone can do it, and you wouldn't need McHale as a coach because even high school coaches can teach the same thing.

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

whether playmaker or not is not really my concern. i am more interested in whether the whole team offense starts to move in sync or stays like a stagnant water pool when he initiates the offense.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Lin is the freaking PG. He initiates EVERY play in the offense. But once he passes the half court, it's his own decision of what to do. I can understand passing to Harden (though some of you don't agree, which is fine), but most of the times we see him pass the ball immediately to whomever pops up on top, even freaking Asik sometimes.

In McHale's words in response to the question (Lin does not "look" involved much in offense): "he has the ball to start off any possesion. Again, he's gotta make decisions, make plays, ..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFXwHlBoj50

6. liunatic

liunatic Member

It's up to Harden to move the ball too. Too many times do I see him just hold the ball for 3-4 seconds before making a move/passing. This can throw off timings for sets, plays, etc. Generally when a ball stops moving for more than a few seconds, people stop cutting because they aren't sure what the ball handler is going to do with the ball.

Harden has become a lot better at passing out of hero-ball situations and just moving the ball in general so I don't have many complaints if any at all.

The difference is that Jeremy makes the decision with what he wants to do with the ball within 2 seconds or less, which doesnt break the continuity of movement. He has already decided if he is passing/shooting/driving...

What it really comes down to is this: Our team will be better if Harden moves the ball and does not ball stop for more than a few seconds. Once that happens the offense stagnates because people stop moving.

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

remember i kinda agreed with you on that lin might have stay-back mindset too much. i totally disagree on confidence issue. he has no confidence issue at all. he worried too much about harden. lin is a humble guy. he doesn't want to stir up anything btw him and harden. this is his problem but coaches and harden can definitely help him to understand the issue. this is a team sport.

i totally disagree w/ a lot of pre-2012s fans here on what lin can be. i not am here talking about potential. i am talking about if he wants he can be an elite pg w/ #s ppl are focusing on. in all games he started and played w/o a star, he got those #s and a lot of wins. it is not one, two, three or .... games. it is enough to make me believe he is one of top pgs.

8. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Exactly what i was saying. The dude initiates every play. Passing wise he isn't any better of a passer then our back up PGs. they can all move the ball decently.

9. peter2012

peter2012 Member

You remind me of SAS, oh wait, he already changed his tone about Lin.

10. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Absolutely wrong.

11. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

This kind of "initiating" the play would be akin to the Center in football -- does the Center initiate the offense? Technically, but he really isn't doing much.

How can you tell? Who got all the girls at your HS? The Center, or the QB?

12. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Not really, according to the logic you're using. The center in basketball would be the person who inbounds the ball. Not the point guard.

13. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Not really. See, in football, the clock has already started before the center snaps the ball. The play has already started. In basketball, after a stoppage in time, the clock only starts AFTER the inbounds pass is handled.

14. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Just wow. Do you understand organzied basketball at all?

There is a thing called the system. In McHale's system, the ball is to move side to side until someone sees an opportunity to score. Moving the ball is important so the ball doesn't become "sticky" and players continue to be involved in the game. When players aren't involved, they become spectators and become disinterested in putting in 100%.

After Lin takes the ball over half court, he can either decide to score if he sees an opportunity (maybe they aren't set yet on defense) or pass it off to the first guy. This gets the ball moving. If that guy doesn't see an opportunity to score, he throws it to the other side and so on.

The problem sometimes is Harden. He'll try to score immediately rather than pass the ball and get the side to side ball movement going. When Harden is on, this isn't a big problem. But when Harden is off (like he was during the losing streak), it becomes a HUGE problem.

15. hotpotato

hotpotato Member

I re-watched some of the linsanity era clips on youtube today. It's obvious that Linsanity only happened because he had the right supporting cast.

Lin is most effective when he drives and dishes. NY happens to have Tyson Chandler who's very comfortable catching and dunking, and strong perimeter shooters like Steve Novak.

But here in Houston, Harden isn't going to stay in paint and wait for lobs. Harden needs to have ball in hand then take to the basket himself. When Harden is the primary option, Lin doesn't have the chance to play PG.

At times when Lin does have the ball, he doesn't have a credible inside option to lob the ball to. Opponents can easily focus on him and stop his penetration.

Folks, it's Houston, where Linsanity come to die.

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

This is what I've said all along, not sure why people insisted it's McHale who told him to hand the ball over, and then wait in the corner. No NBA coach asks his PG to run specific plays unless it's a special situation, like close game in the end, or a timeout. Even then, players often ignore what the coach said, and go on with their own way. Remember Lin waved the PnR McHale setup during the timeout early this year? McHale complained about this in the post game call.

There are many plays available to run in each possession, it's the PG who decides when to run, and what to run, and . Lin often chosen to pass the ball away after across the half court, I think his personality is a key reason for his decision, and he defers to Harden too much.

He did ignored Harden's request several times early in the game in the last couple of games, chosen to run different plays, instead of simply handing the ball over.

17. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum Member

wonder why all the back up PG do the same thing Lin does. pass to harden and move to corner 3. Why do you think they constantly do this????

18. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

This whole stand in the corner thing is over exaggerated.

19. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum Member

I can live with Harden being ISO'd...what I don't like is the lack of movement from him. I can only count handful of times where he made good movement/cuts w/o the ball (most occurred during beginning of season). I'm a Lin fan but I'm not one of those fanatical ones requesting lin to be the dominant ball handler for the team. All I want to see is good team ball.

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

1) Toney Douglas offense is very limited but he's good at corner 3's.

2) Beverley doesn't just stand in the corner. He drives to the basket and shoots at the top of the 3pt area as well.

With Lin it's just more of him being passive hence why McHale, Friedman, himself, etc said he needs to be more aggressive.