1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jenna Busted AGAIN!!!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mc mark, May 30, 2001.

1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Why? Are you sure you wouldn't say, "No, thank you, and you can take your drugs and get out of my house", the way most people would...? Are you sure you're not so hell-bent on holding the Bushes feet to the fire that you're maybe being a tad obstinate about this...?

Besides, you said you weren't any good at confrontation. I think you'd turn tail and skulk away. :p

2. Major

Major Member

Why? Are you sure you wouldn't say, "No, thank you, and you can take your drugs and get out of my house", the way most people would...?

I can't speak for RM95, but if it was a one time thing, no big deal. But if it was something that happened several times, I'd sure as hell call the police. Why? To send a message to people: STOP BRINGING DRUGS INTO MY HOUSE.

Maybe Chuy's has been in trouble with the alcohol code before -- who knows. This is a GREAT way to send a message to underage drinkers, though: Don't try it here. I don't know if that was their intent, but that might be the result.

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

This is getting cute. I love seeing democrats become ruthless law enforcers and republicans become "laissez faire" about social norms and laws.

This is funny b/c Jenna is totally persistent. Quit trying to make some political stand out of it.

------------------
    You're a fine woman, why don't you mock that draft up

4. BrianKagy

That's an excellent point and if I remember my college days-- which actually, I do not [​IMG] -- it's a good bet Chuy's has had problems in the past.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

BTW, I am just playing Devil's Advocate here. I'm just waiting for someone to bring up posts from 2 years ago to refute me.

I do believe that her notoriety probably played a role in the cops being called, I just don't know if it was for the press, or like shanna said, to send a message.

She probably shouldn't have had the cops called, but I understand why they did, if they did it for any reason other than free press.

However, I'm still standing by my stance that she's r****ded. Anyone who tries to buy alcohol with a fake ID two freakin' weeks after being fined and forced to do community service for almost the same offense shouldn't be allowed to breed. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited June 01, 2001).]

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

RM95 -- are you sure you wouldn't feel differently if Jenna were a girl scout?

[​IMG]

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Actually I'm the one with confrontation issues.

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited June 01, 2001).]

8. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Yeah I'll admit that was a poor analogy, but I suck at analogys. [​IMG]

Seriously I find it hard to believe that a restuarant is willing to make a scene by calling in the police over a minor purchasing a drink with a fake ID. That my friend is poor customer relations and bad buisness, unless of course the victim brings glitz and glamour.

------------------

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Chuy's had problems with serving minors alcohol when I was in college and the drinking age was 18! I think that a Chuy's margarita was required liquid refreshment at UT!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

They may not have if it weren't Jenna, sad to say.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Local reporters get all the details.

---

First daughters cited after Chuy's incident

By Jonathan Osborne
    and Claire Osborn
    Friday, June 1, 2001

Police cited President Bush's 19-year-old twin daughters Thursday on charges of misdemeanor alcohol-related violations.

Jenna Bush, who is on probation for a May conviction for being a minor in possession of alcohol, was ticketed after being accused of using someone else's driver's license to try to purchase a margarita Tuesday night at Chuy's restaurant on Barton Springs Road.

Her sister, Barbara, and another friend, 20-year-old Jesse Day-Wickham, were issued tickets on charges of being minors in possession of alcohol.

The Bushes signed the tickets at their lawyer's office Thursday. Both charges are Class C misdemeanors under the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code and carry a fine of up to $500, attendance at an alcohol awareness course, community service and 30-day driver's license suspension.

"They were very cooperative," Assistant Police Chief Jimmy Chapman said.

Bill Allison, a lawyer who represented Jenna Bush in the first case, did not return telephone calls Thursday.

The Bushes were part of a five-person group sitting at a table in the Tex-Mex restaurant Tuesday night when other patrons, a waitress and a bartender recognized Jenna Bush, who will be a sophomore at the University of Texas.

Mia Lawrence, the restaurant's manager, said she asked to see Jenna Bush's driver's license. The picture on the license, however, looked "slightly off," Lawrence said, and had another person's name on it.

"It was a valid Texas driver's license; it just wasn't hers," Lawrence said.

Other people at the table with Jenna Bush had what appeared to be valid identification, including her sister. Barbara Bush, whom the restaurant staff didn't recognize, was served a margarita and a tequila shot, Lawrence said.

Lawrence said she called 911 and reported that Jenna Bush was trying to buy alcohol with someone else's identification. Lawrence said one of the officers who responded, Sgt. Rodney Keene, asked her what she wanted to do about the situation.

"He suggested that I turn the other cheek," she said. "I said I felt the police should do what they normally do."

Police said Keene was not available for comment. Police spokeswoman Sally Muir said, "I never heard that."

Bartenders and managers typically deal with fake identifications by confiscating them or refusing service, not by calling 911, Chapman said.

Whether Chuy's routinely calls 911 to report minors who are attempting to buy alcohol couldn't be determined Thursday. The restaurant was referring questions to a spokesman who could not be reached.

The group was getting ready to leave the restaurant when police arrived, Chapman said.

Chapman said there was too much commotion at the restaurant Tuesday night to issue the tickets.

"It got kind of convoluted," he said. Instead, police sent the girls on their way with Secret Service agents and continued to interview witnesses.

On April 27, Jenna Bush was ticketed for drinking beer at Cheers Shot Bar on Sixth Street. Barbara Bush, who attends Yale, was not involved in that incident.

On May 16, Jenna Bush pleaded no contest, and Judge Elisabeth Earle sentenced her to eight hours of community service and six hours of alcohol awareness classes. Earle also ordered her to pay $51.25 in court costs.

Because she is on probation for her previous charge, Jenna Bush could lose her license for up to 90 days if convicted, said Sgt. Randy Motz of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

You may contact Jonathan Osborne at josborne@statesman.com or 445-3605.

http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/friday/metro_state_2.html
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited June 01, 2001).]

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

This is also from the Austin American-
    Statesman

After Bush recently talked about parental involvement in battling drugs, Houston Chronicle reporter Bennett Roth asked Fleischer whether the president has talked to his daughters about substance abuse. Fleischer dismissed the question as out of bounds. He later called Roth to chastise him and report that the question had been "noted in the building."

Is this some kinda threat?

------------------

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So basically, the only reason the manager made a stink is because someone told her it was Jenna Bush, and she knew Jenna Bush was underage. Can anyone dispute this?

14. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

The lack of commonsense is to blame. If you find out an underaged kid used a fake ID, you simply take away the drink. It's pretty simple, theres no reason to call the police unless you're a sorry scumbucket who sees the opportunity and noteriety his restaurant will recieve from the publicity that comes from busting the presidents daughter.

------------------

15. Band Geek Mobster

Picture this, manager sees Jenna has a fake ID and decides not to serve her alcohol. She doesn't go off and kill a family 4 and that's that. Instead this manager calls the cops on her and her sister. I saw an interview with an officer in Austin and he was asked how often people call in when a minor tries to purchase alcohol. He said hardly ever.

Now this restaurant is getting free advertisement on all of the national network and cable channels...

------------------
    I don't want to waste my time
    And become a casualty of society.
    I'll never fall in line
    Become a victim of your conformity and back down.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's funny to hear those who were screaming about the rule of law now think the restaurant probably should've just turned their cheek to obvious law breaking.

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

17. outlaw

outlaw Member

why should they risk losing their liquor license? aren't they legally obligated to call the police? (i'm asking i don't know)

anyway i think the kids saw daddy didn't suffer any consequences when the story about his DUI came out so they probably don't care if they get caught either. maybe it's no coincidence that their first initals are J&B

i think trey parker and matt stone HAVE to include the twins on That's My Bush now.

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited June 01, 2001).]

18. BrianKagy

The restaraunt manager's not a cop. It's not his job to arrest or arrange for the arrest of someone. It's his job to make sure his establishment doesn't break the law by serving alcohol to minors.

If someone offers you drugs at a party, RM95, are you going to call the cops on them?

19. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

so Chuy's will now probably have a new "we busted jenna" t-shirt or something...

those of you that have eaten there, know that chuy's sells shirts with catchy phrases, etc.

oh well...

i think this whole thing is poor judgement on everyone's part...

rH

------------------
    visit: The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I said that the incident did not merit an emergency response from the police. Businesses that deal with the public call the police as a last resort in incidents with customers.

Did the restaurant or its staff get cited for its part in breaking the law?

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!