1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff George CUT by the Redskins

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ROCKSS, Sep 26, 2001.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins 0-2 and without a touchdown, cut quarterback Jeff George on Wednesday.

Handcuffed in an offense that didn't suit him, George failed to lead the offense to a single point in 6{ quarters of play. The Redskins (0-2) have been outscored 67-3, with the field goal coming with backup Tony Banks on the field in the opener against San Diego.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported the Redskins will sign former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Kent Graham.

George's 34.6 quarterback rating ranks last in the NFL. In two games, he completed 23 of 42 passes for 168 yards and three interceptions. He was also sacked six times.

The Redskins are without a touchdown two games into a season for the first time in the franchise's 69-year history.

George has had a troubled career. Although blessed with a strong arm, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1990 draft is just 46-78 as a starter with five teams.

Controversy has followed him everywhere, reaching its peak when he argued with Atlanta coach June Jones on the sideline during a game in 1996. The Falcons suspended George, then cut him.

And in the Redskins' season opener against the Chargers on Sept. 9, George and coach Marty Schottenheimer had an animated sideline discussion after Schottenheimer yanked George for Banks. George had four turnovers in that game -- two fumbles and two interceptions -- and refused to speak to reporters for 11 days afterward.

Schottenheimer kept George as his starter for Monday night's game against the Green Bay Packers. The Redskins lost 37-0, with George playing the entire game, completing 15 of 24 for 102 yards and one interception.

On Monday, Schottenheimer gave an indication of what was to come when he said he was considering starting Banks in Sunday's home opener against Kansas City.

George's teammates indicated they were losing faith in their quarterback.

"There's got to be some changes," defensive end Bruce Smith said Monday. "By no means am I pointing fingers, but we can't survive on an average of 1.5 points per game."

It had been long obvious that George's strong-arm, downfield game just wasn't compatible with Schottenheimer's quick-drop, short-pass West Coast offense. George worked all spring and summer to learn the offense, but he never looked comfortable. It also didn't help that he missed nearly all of training camp with tendinitis in his throwing shoulder.

Schottenheimer, 0-2 for the first time in his 16-year coaching career, said he wasn't ready to radically change the offense to feature a downfield passing game.

Some of George's attempts to dump the ball for short gains have looked awkward. In both games, the first two drives were killed when a third-down pass was completed short of the first-down marker.

Schottenheimer said part of the blame for those plays lay with the quarterback.

"The bottom line is we're not making enough first downs," Schottenheimer said Monday. "We're not making enough yardage."

George was drafted by Indianapolis and played with the Colts from 1990-93. He was in Atlanta from 1994-96, then spent two seasons with Oakland and one with Minnesota before joining the Redskins last year as Brad Johnson's backup.

George, 33, started five games last year, going 1-4. He became the undisputed starter when Johnson signed as a free agent with Tampa Bay during the offseason.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ESPN Tools
    Email story

Most sent

Print story

ESPN EXTRA
    Contest: AT&T Pass Run Predictions
    Predict who will lead this week in passing and rushing and get a chance to win a trip to the 2002 ESPY Awards.

2. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

A second-hand quote, courtesy of John Madden:

"Someone once said to me that Jeff George had good hardware, but bad software."

3. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Over/Under on how long it takes Jerry Jones to sign him, 48 hours.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Suckskins falling apart!!!!! I love it!!!! :D :D :D

That b**** Snyder must be feeling pretty stupid right about now :D :D :D

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

If George were a car, he'd be a Porsche with the engine of a Yugo.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

How could he possibly have a QB rating lower than Ty Detmer , Oh My God He Does!

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

My father is a huge Redskin fan and I had told him that my main running back on my fantasy football team was Stephen Davis. He looked at me and said, "Son, I don't know if he is going to have a good year. The Redskins don't have an offensive line." This is coming from a man who reads the Washington paper religiously on line every day.

Granted, George never fit the West Coast style of offense but it can be hard to try to throw the ball if you have no protection.

I think it's a combination of a poor offensive line and an ill-fit at QB. I don't know if Tony Banks or Kent Graham is going to be any better. At least it makes the Deadskins feel good and it looks like that "they solved the problem."

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, you're a Cowboys fan... you have no reason to be talking. Besides, now Tony Banks gets his chance to hopefully prove your owner is an idiot. Please Tony, do well!

9. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Thats exactly what I was thinking!!!!:D

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Tennessee should have picked him up by now.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'll keep talking DooD...

BTW, I thought it was already proven that JJ was an idiot?

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Man, you're a Cowboys fan... you have no reason to be talking.

Yeah, actually he does... I don't like the Cowboys either, but you have to admit they are miles ahead of the Skins this year. :D

GO PACK GO!

13. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

If Jones does sign George as I believe he will, then you should make a mad dash to your waiver wires to grab Galloway and Ismail. Both are deep threats and George loves throwing the deep ball. The threesome makes a perfect fit. Plain and simple, George didn't fit with Schottenheimer's WC offense. He is perfect for Dallas's vertical passing game.

14. Timing

Timing Member

Marty knows what he's doing and he'll have the Skins back on top in no time. The Cowgirls on the other hand are doomed as long as Jerry Jones thinks he knows football.

15. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

How many Superbowls did Marty take the Chiefs too during his tenure as head coach? Also remember that the period of time he was coaching, the AFC was an absolute DREG of a conference losing like 14 straight superbowls. Cryin Shotenheimer, SUCKS, always has always will. Dan and Marty will get the skins nowhere close to a superbowl.

16. Timing

Timing Member

Sup Ty? You couldn't get your call into Rome so had to post your take here instead? :rolleyes:

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Oh and Hitler Snyder know exactly what he is doing and is not a meddlesome owner at all. :rolleyes:

18. Timing

Timing Member

There is difference between being meddlesome and Jerry Jones actually making all the personnel decisions. Marty wouldn't have taken the job if he wasn't going to have some control there while Dave Campo is just glad to have any job and will do anything ole JJ says. Big difference in the two situations, not that a Cowboy fan would ever acknowledge any of that.

#18 Timing, Sep 26, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2001
  19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

pretty good post, til you made that blanket statement.

:rolleyes:

20. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

I grew up a Cowboy fan and there is no doubt in my mind the Cowboys will not even make the playoffs until JJ realizes he is NOT a REAL GM. He needs to hire a Coach and a GM, and stick to being the owner.

The Texans will make the playoffs before the Cowboys will, unless JJ wises up.

As for the Redskins. Marty went their for one rea$on, $$$$. Snyder sold his team up the river to try to win last and or this year and they aren’t even going to make the playoffs much less the Superbowl in either season, rotflmao.

At least when Jerry wrecked the salary cap the Cowboys won a Superbowl. The Redskins are going NOWHERE anytime soon.

To bad to see the best rivalry in the NFl relegated to a game b/w the absolute dregs of the NFL.