1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JB Bickerstaff has the highest winning percentage for a head coach in Rockets' history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 13, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Bickerstaff: .615
    McHale: .598
    Adelman: .588
    Tomjanovich: .559
    Van Gundy: .555
    Chaney: .550
    Fitch: .527
    Nissalke: .504
    Egan: .459
    Harris: .430
    Hannum: .420
    Winter: .395
    McMahon: .321

All hail J.B.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Interesting! We will miss him when he's let go in the off season.

$$$ ain't a thang.

[​IMG]

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

At the very least, ball movement on the offensive end is far less stagnant relative to the beginning of the season when Mchale was at the healm.

Who knows. Maybe they are actually drilling offensive sets in practice more often.

There was that one play against the Lakers where Harden came off a curl and shot an easy mid range jumper. Why don't we run those type of plays more often. I mean that's why we got Lawson in the first place right? So Harden can play more off ball traditional sg.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This is cause for a celebration!

[​IMG]

5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

DA BLACK STEVE KERR

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Re-hire Vince McMahon

1 person likes this.
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Remember when all the Milkhair apologists would tout his record as of indicative of his great coaching? Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FbjiKIKzY3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hes also the least paid coach in the NBA. He makes 50k

9. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

And also the lowest opponent's winning % in history. We haven't faced a single contender since he took over.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Only 350 more games to go for JB to measure up. . . . Hardee har har.

11. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

How does this work? They essentially promoted him so I'm sure there has to be a raise involved as well right? I'm sure the Coach's Union or whatever wouldn't allow it otherwise.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He made up the number that's how.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There's a coaches union? lols

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

assistants only get 50k??

that's insane.

15. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

J. B. Bickerstaff is pushing the right buttons
    By EricNielsen on Dec 13, 2015, 9:30a 1 1

Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports
    After an abysmal start the Rockets find themselves in seventh in the West and back in the hunt.

 TWEET SHARE (2) PIN
    A month ago I couldn't watch the Rockets. But, with the Houston only 3.5 games out of third place in the West, it's time to celebrate a little bit and welcome basketball back into our lives. Thank God!

The schedule has helped, but in this holiday season lets be thankful for where we stand. The litany of problems have filled the pages of The Dream Shake for weeks. Now it's time to look at what's going right.

As tough as the coaching change was, it now looks like it was the right call. Young J. B. Bickerstaff has been pushing the right buttons that McHale was loathe to make. The changes were necessary to light a fire that some players needed, to begin hitting on all cylinders. Remember, the Rockets have a boatload of players in their contract year and with the new, higher salary cap coming, they should all be playing their asses off.

At first I thought Bickerstaff was going to be on a short leash and I didn't believe Morey when he said he had the season to prove himself. But, it's looking more and more like that will come to pass. He's now 8 and 5 and looks to be gaining some momentum and buy-in with the team. It's his rotation changes that have made the most difference.

The biggest change is inserting Clint Capela into the starting lineup. He has the Rockets' second best PER at 21.5 and he has earned the time. The defense has been so poor that it needed the inside presence of our twin towers to get back some respect.

Against the Lakers, the Twin Towers shot 12 of 16 and had 22 boards. Our shooting percentage this year has been tough to watch, but the horrid, weak defense was the worst part of the team. Having Terrence Jones coming off the bench is a better fit. And, with D-Mo back, Bickerstaff have even more options.

Moving Ty Lawson to the bench and even sitting him for complete games was genius. I give Lawson a lot of leeway. Poor guy had to go through all the alcohol/court issues, rehab, changing teams and agreeing to have his final year of a giant contract non-guaranteed. Anyone would be going through shell shock with all of that going on.

J. B. just gave him some room, gave him some time on the court without Harden and made him realize, by sitting him, that if Lawson doesn't get it together he'll be playing for significantly less money next year, even with a new salary cap. I have more hope now that Lawson will find his place in the rotation.

After 30% of the season under our belts the Rockets find themselves climbing, full of hope and beginning to again imagine themselves in true contention. Not only have the Rockets awakened from hibernation, so have the Rockets fans. Thanks for the early Christmas present, J. B.

16. bmd

bmd Member

That's not true. I wanna say they make like $200,000 a year.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Omfg, lol, this has to be a joke... Let's wait a season before we start crowning him as the next Kerr/Pop/Jackson etc etc..... Lol, let's see him play some real teams first as well :) and have a real sample size (thankfully we don't run significant results with that kind of sample size in a lab)

Also... iirc I want to say his salary was 175k... But I can't find the source atm, I know lower assistants sometimes don't make much, but I would have to say he was making more than 50 before the bump (I mean I'd hope so...)

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

nook posted his salary here last month but i forgot what the figure was

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I think you're right on this. Now post some more about this winning % :) don't get me wrong if he takes off and rockets keep getting better then Yay, I just want good bball and don't really care who the coach is as long as the team is winning. I'm not wanting the team to fail so all the bad fans can be right ;)

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

McHale fans faint

For the longest time, all they had in support of the worst coach in Rockets history was that he was the winningest coach

It took a mid 30's rook making bottom wage all of 12 odd games to usurp that

LOL