1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jannero Pargo to Spurs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tested911, Aug 5, 2008.

1. tested911

tested911 Member

Jeff McDonald: Spurs and Pargo?

"The last time the Spurs saw Jannero Pargo, he was jacking up jump shots for New Orleans in the waning moments of Game 7 of last season's Western Conference semifinals. There is a chance the next jumper Pargo hoists could come in a Spurs uniform.

The rumor in one Western Conference front office Monday afternoon had it that Pargo was about to agree to -- or perhaps already had agreed to -- a deal that would have brought the backup point guard to San Antonio.

Ah, but not so fast.

Pargo's agent, Mark Bartelstein, acknowledged ongoing talks with the Spurs, but said his client has yet to agree to a deal with anyone.

"The Spurs speak for themselves," Bartelstein said Monday. "It's a great place to play. They are limited in what they can do financially, but we are definitely talking to them."

The Spurs spent the lion's share of their mid-level exception to sign former Washington guard Roger Mason Jr. -- another Bartelstein client -- earlier this summer. The team still has a $1.9 million biannual exception at its disposal, a small bump past the $1.08 million Pargo would have earned next season in New Orleans had he not opted out of his contract.

The 28-year-old Pargo, the primary backup to All-Star Chris Paul in New Orleans, beefed up his value on the open market with a solid postseason in which he averaged 10.2 points per game. He had a 30-point game against Dallas in the first round, and scored 18 against the Spurs in Game 7 of the conference semis.

The Spurs' apparent pursuit of Pargo is a bit surprising, given the glut of backup point-guards that ought to grace their opening day roster. The Spurs used their first-round draft choice on George Hill, with designs on having him compete with veteran Jacque Vaughn for minutes behind Tony Parker. They signed Mason in part because of his ability to play some point guard in a pinch.

The Spurs are one of a handful of teams in the hunt for Pargo, who still has not ruled out a return to New Orleans.

"We're trying to get to a decision, no question," Bartelstein said. "We're working on it, but no decision has come as of yet."

The Pargo-to-San-Antonio rumors remain just rumors, for now."

Pargo is the backup PG the Rockets should pursue and if 1.8 Mil gets it done with the Spurs then I think we should offer anywhere 2-3 per year for Pargo. Very good player in limited minutes and can really hand the rock well.. We still have the MLE but I'm not sure Pargo warrants the full MLE.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would love to have him as our backup PG......but until the Landry issue is resolved our hands are tied.

DD

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Landry issue is jacking us up (like that one summer we waited on C Webb and he ditched us - we then couldnt' do anything that summer).

4. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Good god my head is about to explode. Damn you Buddy Baker! If Landry's contract was figured out (possibly 3 years at 10MM; 3MM/year with a little increase per) then we DEFINITELY woulda had enough to sign this guy.

Ah well, if he does go to SA, we're still meet him as many times as we did when he played for NOH.

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Ask any fan that has had this guy on their team, they hate him more than we hate Luther Head. A shooter that doesn't shoot well..great. Let him go.

6. Tornadoofsoul6

Pargo is more of an undersized 2 than a PG ala Luther Head, except smaller.

7. tested911

tested911 Member

I think a lot of us cringe when Luther brings up the ball. We all know about his ability to knock down shots and even slam the ball but for some reason it's like Luther has to left hands or counting his steps... Luther with ball handling skills would of been killer and we would not be looking for a 15-18min backup PG.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Just because a guy is shorter than 6-5 doesn't mean he's a point guard - Pargo can't play the point any better than Head can. He's a pure shooter, and a decent one, but Pargo offers nothing that Luther gives us already, aside from being able to keep his game together in the post season.

I don't care if SA signs a 6-1 sparkplug combo guard.

Evan

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He's not a PG but he's still a good player regardless. He's clutch, he's a sparkplug and he can take over games in spurts. He's your prototypical "instant offense" kind of player.

I'm not sure how good of a fit he is for a team like the Spurs since they don't run as much as the Hornets and he's basically a 6'1" SG, but the Spurs need a guy like that considering their current backup guards are Jacque Vaughn, George Hill and Roger Mason. That's a pretty weak group, if you ask me.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I know from watching Pargo over the years he isn't that good. But during this past regular season, most of the time I saw him, the guy killed teams with his shooting. It must be a matter of seeing him just enough to get the wrong picture. I saw him two times against Phoenix a just a couple of other times and he was superb.

11. sook

sook Rookie

i dont care

12. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

We don't want him.

13. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I kind of want this to happen just so the Hornets will be forced to use Mike James as they back up PG (if they don't make any moves to acquire another one).

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He could bring what Mike James brought during his first Rockets run. Quick points off the bench.

15. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2008/08/new_orleans_hornets_guard_jann.html

16. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Pargo is a very marginal backup PG or NBA bench player. 13th man, yes.

I am surprised if the Spurs are really trying to get him. They Spurs already have Vaughn and a rookie at that position.

17. Asian Sensation

1. We made the biggest splash this summer.
    2. Landry will never be on C-webb's level.
    3. It's an issue but not as big as you may think.

18. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Rumor has it the Nugs are interested in him. I know nothing.