1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James needs a "Robin".......Who should it be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 9, 2017.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

The way i see it, LeBron, KD or someone along those lines aint walkin in the door...
    If we're gonna make a jump to the next level it's gonna take some gambling...
    It's gonna mean throwin the dice on a guy or two that has some flaws or baggage or some other issues... or gambling on somebody's "potenetial"...
    Rodman was a high caliber malcontent who couldnt get along in SA when the Bulls pulled the trigger on acquiring him...
    If we're building around Harden and the questions surrounding him... I say swing for the bleachers with the best possible upsides and cross our fingers...

Personally I think it's all about a big to bang down low... Adding a front court threat like Griffin while continuing to spread out shooters at the perimeter is best possible route...

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Let's see if Dwight is willing to leave LA and come to Houston?

#122 BallSoHarden, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Harden is no Batman for a championship team, we have seen it time and time again in crucial moments in the playoffs since he's been in the league. Great players rise to a higher level in the playoffs, with Harden we are fortunate if he keeps his turnovers down and plays at his regular season clip. Watching Kyrie play these last two years in the playoffs you see how he elevates his game in crucial moments against the best team. Harden at this point isn't even a Robin on a championship team. He's maybe a first round Batman, thats about it. He relies too much on the foul shot, in deeper rounds this is always tougher to rely on.

TexasRedd and kjayp like this.
  4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

That was an opportunity missed - due to inept coaching by JBB with no control or ability to keep everyone on the same page and properly utilize all our strengths...turned into a real sh*t show....
    but I think it will take Dwight (or Lawson) like gambles to move up...

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so who should be his batman?

chirp chirp

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i know daam well harden doesnt have his robin. i always say the main reason he abuses the ft system is cuz of that and he gets carried away. every star player abuse the rulebook somehow.

he's been the main scoring option in 5 straight po's. 5 po's is 5 po's, thats a lotta time. u cant keep giving him excuses. i stopped last po's but then gave the team a 2nd chance in the offseason and bought into it in the regular season, then the po's happened and he proved me right again.

i did contribute to the thread, or maybe it was the other one, saying hayward, pg or cp3 would be the best 'robin'. i didnt mean to put paul in there on the other three guys' level. i should've clarified that. those 3 are the only true superstars in the league imo. the gap after them and everyone else is huge.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

sounds crazy to say about a guy who averaged 30ppg but he's not a go-to scorer. not in the playoffs at least. MDA was right that james is best as a facilitator. he's not jordan or kobe, he's nash, stockton, cp3... its a weird truth. if you were building a team around nash you would start with a great go-to, first option type, scorer. you might also need a second-option... leaving james as the 3rd option.

how the hell do we get 2 other superstars? well, if we're lucky and hayward goes to boston, we might be the next option blake's list. if we sign blake we can then go all in (capela, dekker, ariza, gordon, picks) for a 3rd guy. this also assumes that we got out of ryno's contract to sign blake. that package might not be "enough" for butler or george, but once they want to come here they'll get their agents to make it happen so long as we give as much as we can in return.

as a fall back i really like our chances at millsap or gallinari. either would be a huge upgrade over ryno and ariza respectively and enough to keep us in the top 2 or 3 in the west

kjayp likes this.
  8. alethios

alethios Member

RIP Batman. :(

Jayzers_100 and kjayp like this.
  9. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Klay Thompson will fit this MDA system very well

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Robert Covington anyone?

11. basketballholic

If you want a Robin trade into the first round and draft Ojelay. Then start the man at the 3 from day 1.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i dont think i said this on cf but if we dont gut the team, then the perfect 2nd option would be a 2 way wing who'd have to be the sf. wont have to be relied to score 20-25 every game since we'd have at least one of eg, ryan or lou who are good 3rd options for next season - lou in a contract year right after a career year. then there's a bunch of shooters and some bigs that can score some.

so pg or hayward or butler are perfect.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

14. dmoneybangbang

Move Anderson and throw the max at Griffin or Milsap.

kjayp likes this.
  15. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Nothing could change Harden's will to be soft ass.

16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

dwayne wade? not a popular choice cause of age. But hey he loves to compete come playoff time, and could get him on the cheap. Cbs sports have us linked with
    Danilo Gallinar Dion Waiters and Rudy gay. this summer...

17. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

You won the dumb post of thread award.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Front court threat doesn't seem to be that useful nowadays. Look at the Spurs. They got LMA and he's pretty useless on offense in the playoffs. Kevin Love didn't do a whole lot offensively either. Anthony Davis doesn't even make the playoffs. Cousins, Randolph, Marc Gasol... the list can go on and on. There are plenty of pretty good offensive big men out there. They just aren't helping their teams win.

And I still don't like Griffin's mental weakness. Having both your Batman and your Robin threatening to disappear is not a prospect I want to contemplate. BTW, the Batmobile has an invisible mode you know. ;)

19. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Waiters and Gay? Yuck. And yuck to Gallinari at his estimated price tag as well.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

He needs a batman and a superman....James Harden is Aquaman and not James Camerons Aquaman.