1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Ennis signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I can see what Morey was envisioning with the acquisition of MCW. I'm, by no means, comparing MCW to the guy but I can definitely see him being groomed into the Shaun Livingston type mold. Coming on with the second team and running the offense and getting those 6-10 points per game that keep the opposing team just far enough out of reach so that the first team can come back in and stomp on the opponents throats.

I doubt he has the turnaround back up jumper go to move that Livingston has that or another move to become a "go to", but if he does develop some type of consistent play (PnR, dribble drive, or pull up from the elbows etc.) we will most definitely take it!

Melton is the x-factor on this team. If he can become our version of what Patrick McCaw was for the Warriors 2 seasons ago (fiesty defender that can pull up from 3 and drive to the hole when need be) our team will be that much more dynamic.

We'll see how it all pans out, but Ennis looks like a great value pickup even if it's just preseason workouts vs. "JV" guys.

#421 FLASH21, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    DreamShook and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think midrange game will be added to this season, Melton can shoot midrange, former College 3s. Carmelo, Chris Paul, MCW, James Ennis all can shoot Midrange. Hopefully Harden adds Midrange Shots to his game. Game 6 and 7 Chucking 3s was so frustrating, embarrassing that the media were making fun of the Rockets. I hated the Concept of DAntoni, Morey
    3 pointers and layups only. Midrange and Post ups is really crucial for late game situations.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah it only got the rockets to this point. what were they thinking!!

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly! i've been saying this for 3 years - http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...ors-and-rockets-is-playmaking-ability.266358/

not much as changed. we still have 3 playmakers: paul, harden, ego (sometimes). they still have a ton more: steph, klay, KD, dray, boogie, iggy, livingston.

we almost beat them 3 on 7 if it werent for the refs and paul being injured. now add melo and james johnson and we play them 5 on 7. I'll take that.

yes the defense was amazing and we havent replaced ariza yet. however, luc didn't play in the WCF. losing him this summer doesn't change that series. melo playing instead of green (and random nene/ryno/luc minutes) would have changed that series in our favor by easing the workload of CP3 and harden. maybe CP3 doesn't overwork his hammy, but even if he does, wouldn't melo playing instead of green/nene/ryno/luc in game 7 help us cover the 9 points? of course! only harden and gordon could do anything on offense and we only lost by 9 points with the refs cheating!

Deuce, Lawlruschang, rhee and 4 others like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

your expectations of MCW are higher than mine. i think he can provide good switching defense. i think he's an ok playmaker as a PG (average 2nd or 3rd string nba PG) but as a SG or SF his playmaking is a big bonus. he makes bad decisions as a PG but if he is the 3rd ball handler he has less responsibility to be the one to break down the defense without turning the ball over. so i think that is a role he might serve well here. i don't think we can shoot or score, but if he can contribute in the aforementioned ways i'd take that for the minimum.

melton might turn out to be a poor man's marcus smart or pat beverley. i think he can learn to shoot like both of them did (against all expert predictions) and can definitely produce on defense. he's a fit with being able to guard multiple positions and hitting the open 3. he isn't a real PG though in the sense that he won't be playmaking for himself or others... similar to bev and smart. i'm not sure he can contribute this year but i'm excited for his future, if he isn't traded with ryno.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i personally think a healthy Luc would have made a difference in that series, and i'm not sure whether Carmelo would have helped or hurt in that series.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Most definitely, NOT an expectation. More like... a hopeful wish.

If he can provide some essence of an offensive game, it would be a miracle. But I'll take anything from our "3rd string" PG that is mainly on the court for defensive purposes. If he puts his focus on even just developing a mid-range jumper that in itself would become a weapon in our offense. Lanes would open left and right for the opportunity of kickouts all around the court, especially the corner 3. Again mostly wishful thinking, but Shaun Livingston wasn't thought much of besides being a bench filler and ballhandler. Right now he's used as a major weapon on their second team.

I'm excited for Melton's potential as well. I don't think he's as playmaking handicapped as you view him though. He has great court vision, maybe not CP3 or Harden like, but good enough that he can create opportunities for our shooters on the perimeter as his game acclimates and matures to the NBA level. When, that will happen, is the bigger question.

Two great bargain guys if things pan out "as planned". But of course I'm not holding my breath, just taking the more optimistic approach to these guys.

#427 FLASH21, Aug 3, 2018
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is why i would welcome batum

D-rock likes this.
  9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Batum ain't creating ****.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

but luc wasn't healthy/playing and without him we were up 3-2. melo would be taking green's minutes as the 7th man in the WCF, maybe even the random nene/ryno minutes too. wouldn't melo have helped more than them? i think so.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree with this assessment of MCW but i dont think he will develop. i think he is who he is. no offense, decent defense and solid playmaking for a 3rd PG. and I'll take that for the vet min!

FLASH21 likes this.
  12. Aruba77

fair enough, my point was that i don't think we had much margin for error in that series regardless of being up 3-2, and i sincerely believe we would have been even better with a healthy Luc. Defense was honestly why we were as successful as we were. And i'm pretty sure melo would have been a real liability in that department. So i'm sure he would have scored a few extra buckets for us, but what about all of the GS buckets he would allowed? Also, i think Melo would command more than Green and Nene's minutes in that series. I don't think they combined for even 20 minutes a game in that series.

But i take your point taht we were close without luc and presumably melo would have made more of an impact than green or nene ...and certainly anderson.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah he would add something that we need. may not be the shooter or the defender we need, and is definitely not worth the contract, but he can switch on D, rebound, and create on O.

i'd still rather james johnson who is basically batum with top notch D and slightly worse at being a playmaker.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yup, that's how i see the whole luc / melo thing. luc wasn't in the WCF and may never be 100% again which is why morey let him walk. of course i'd take a healthy luc back in a second, but if that's not an option i think melo helps in a different way.

FWIW here are the combined minutes from an injured and sort of useless luc, green, nene, and a definitely useless ryno in each of the 7 games:

Game 1: 43
    Game 2: 26
    Game 3: 48
    Game 4: 11
    Game 5: 16
    Game 6: 28
    Game 7: 34

games 1, 2, 3, and 6 include some garbage minutes since they were blowouts. overall i can find 24-28mpg for melo each game. even in games 4 and 5 he could play 24-28mpg since playing paul and ariza over 40mpg contributed to the worn down hammy and having no legs to shoot threes respectively.

i honestly think melo would've helped in this series, especially game 7 without paul. we aren't at that level right now because we need an ariza replacement. if we can get james johnson for ryno and a pick, i actually think we are better than last year. if johnson plays ariza's minutes he gives you the same D and can actually create on O... and melo is a big improvement over green/nene/ryno's minutes.

hakeem94 and Aruba77 like this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Have you watched Batum play recently? This isn't Portland Nic Batum anymore......he's a shell of his former self.

hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  16. Aruba77

Those are pretty significant minutes.

smoothie likes this.
  17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That series was so embarrassing. All I think about is Parsons declaring himself the best sf in the series and then the series happened:(. The Mavs and Jazz series(2000 decade) were more hurtful but that Trailblazers series was the most disappointing drfeat

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I was watching team USA during scrimmage and James Harden and Tobias Harris were being friendly, joking during shooting practice and Tobias did not accept the Extension with the Clippers. Hopefully next offseason Rockets will go after Tobias, an Excellent PF that stretches the Floor shoot the 3, dribble and attack the basket. Matchup at Center against Draymond at Center. P.J Tucker off the bench or play with Tobias.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no but

insert look ok to me gif

I am hopin it was injuries he is over with now allegedly and playing for a shitty team

he can not be that bad if he averaged 6 assists per game... he is lebron james for trevor ariza on offense

#439 hakeem94, Aug 3, 2018
  20. penny1magic

penny1magic Member

Very humble guy..he lives in my neighborhood well his fiance and baby do.. He usually down here during offseason.. Playing at my gym across our street..been playing against him for years.. He is really long videos don't do him justice and he is quick..very slimmer tho he was heavier in Detroit..but as far as a lock down d, he is a beast just dont feel he has had that chance really..in Houston he is gonna exceed expectations i promise u that..but the best part is he is a gamer and family man very easy to talk too..he's gonna be a positive voice i can assure u that.next time i bump into him I'll get that juicy gossip all you guys love...first post don't mrmotijunes me ...long live Scola

skroodup25, Deuce, stevel and 3 others like this.