1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by red, Mar 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. red

red Contributing Member

That was painful to watch. Episode 1 is available on Hulu for your viewing pleasure or displeasure. The amount of ignorance is sad to me.

1 person likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I missed it, what was sad the concept or just how stupid we all are about our eating habits?

3. red

red Contributing Member

Just how stupid "they" are all about "their" eating habits. And how they treated him.

4. RocketMania1991

I don't normally watch TV shows, but i'll give this one a shot.
    Sounds interesting.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I thought it was good. There are so many people out there that either don't realize how poor their eating habits are, or just don't care.

I'm with that preacher.. if this Jamie guy can get Huntington to change, he can change anything.

The one I can't wait to see change is the "cook" in the school cafeteria Alice (I think her name was)

I'm with Jamie on the school lunch program too... some schools give the students other options, but cafeteria food is horrible for you.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It really did amaze me what that one family was eating and when they put it all on the table...I almost threw up. The funniest part is when Jaime Oliver looked in the freezer and it was just stacks of pizza and he says "...and it's not even good pizza". She had that cheap pizza that I think has the trans fat in it.

Seriously, how could any mother justify feeding her family that garbage? I saw her using the fryer cooking donuts and drizzling it with some sweet glaze or something. They were probably worse for you than Dunkin Donuts. I never, ever bought a fryer and that family is the reason why. If you start deep frying everything, then you explode in size.

There really is no excuse for Mom imo. She could just as easily be making pot roasts with veggies in a crock pot instead of deep frying everything. It's so simple to do as well. Even choices in the frozen food aisles can make a huge difference. They just bought the worst of everything.

I just cannot believe there are actual families out there and all they are eating is fast food and processed food with no fruit or vegetables anywhere to be found. Stupidity is not an excuse and that is what that family wanted us to believe. It was just pure laziness imo.

7. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i saw the beginning, up to the mashed potatoes, yuck

8. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

i couldn't believe that they feed the kids pizza for breakfast!!

what is wrong with America?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Watching this show is reminding me of my childhood. And not in a good way.

Schools serving garbage to kids, selling contracts to Coke, Pepsi, Mars, etc., completely removing recess and health education.

I believe one school district in Minnesota tried overhauling their exercise and nutrition for their kids, and it was amazing how the test scores, behavior, truancy, and rate of illness all improved.

This kind of fix is a good step in the right direction, but their uneducated and lazy parents will just wreck those kids all over again.

10. Hayesfan

I don't think it's laziness so much as it's all she knows. When it was all out there on the table and she saw how bad it was she recognized the fact that one or two meals wasn't the problem it was everything she was buying at the store.

She even noticed seeing it all printed out on the paper that she had unhealthy foods... the key word that said the most to me.. convenience.

Everything she did was for convenience sake.

That's the problem with fast food.. it's convenient.

I'm excited to see what he teaches that boy (Justin I think his name was) how to make simple easy meals for the family. You could tell the kid was pretty much ready to do anything to make his life better.

11. Southern Select

If only the state could tell everyone where and what to eat. The government schools could rescue these kids from their uneducated, lazy parents. Then a glorious new day would be upon us.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWSPDv6sosI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWSPDv6sosI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Would could even reform Rock & Roll High School!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cckVdiPheGY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cckVdiPheGY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

the mom HAD to know that she was feeding her kids garbage but she still did it anyway because it's easy...it is really no excuse.

my fiance was raised in an environment like that and his parents and sister are overweight. his mom always makes fattening foods...he was overweight when i met him and now he has improved his eating habits MUCH better and is in a healthy range of weight.

i will do everything to not feed my kids garbage for breakfast, lunch and dinner even though if it's easy way out...one meal a couple times a week is fine but not three meals everyday. i know kids are extremely picky but they gotta eat someway.

i still cant believe that the school fed pizza for breakfast!!

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's nice.

14. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'm going to have to watch this show. I really like Jamie Oliver's shows (even if the Naked Chef derailed at the end), and I admire the work he has done with the British school food system.

15. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

this show isnt interesting enough to keep me watching, besides i have already met my quota of 1 chef show a week

kitchen nightmares!!!!!!!!!!!! love it

16. Hayesfan

I had never heard of him before this show. I didn't realize he was the naked chef.

I don't typically watch those shows on the Food Network or whatever. The only one I have seen a few times is the Ace of Cakes one.

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Um, they already are. Which is why these kids are having to down two types of processed, sugar-heavy breads per lunch or breakfast, instead of being happy with one portion of a whole grain starch, as Oliver tried to push across but was denied by ... the government.

But don't let that get in the way of cool video clips and sarcasm.

It's the sickest thing that Americans don't get, you can buy twice as much food for a fraction of the price, eat healthier, and stick it in your kids' lunchboxes the next day where they will gladly chow it down.

Compare the price of a Lunchable for two kids versus what it takes to buy chicken, low-sodium soy sauce, brown rice, four different types of veggies, maybe some pineapple, etc. You get stir fry for four that night, plus lunch for you, another adult, and two kids the next day. All for the price of, say, three Lunchables. I have. And my kids love it.

They're not going to pick it over pizza, because nobody will. I'm 29 and I still won't pick anything over pizza. But that's not the kids' problem. It's our obligation to make that choice for them, just as we tell them to look both ways crossing the street, or not to stab that toaster with a fork.

And anyone who's choosing not to is not out of time, or out of cash. They're just lazy. I'd love nothing more than to have three types of dipping sauce at every meal I eat for the rest of my life. But my responsibilities as a parent and as an adult make sure that I have to think smarter than that.

But, by all means, go back to your Mao videos.

1 person likes this.
  18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Don't feed the trolls KD :)

Coke/Pepsi and everyone else wants you kids to be loyal for life. An average child can identify over 200 company logos by the age of 5.

Ray Croc and Walt Disney understood that indoctrination begins in the cradle.

That doesn't sound fascist at all though.

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Unhealthy menu = freedom

Updated healthy menu = commie mind control?

20. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i wish houston would adopt the nutrition facts onto their menus... it wouldn't be 100% accurate, but at least you get an idea...