1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by xaos, Nov 21, 2021.

1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Bc I would prefer a Wagner and Ivey over jabari and who I would get at 17 probably.

D-rock likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It would take more to do it. Perhaps much more. I would think hard about it though.

personally though I would want to wait for a trade like that next offseason. See how high the rockets pick is next year and then trade what you have to, to move up higher. There seem to be a lot guards in next years draft that you could pair with a big man in the draft plus green and Sengun.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Also though if you were able to make that trade and keep the rockets own pick next year it would be a very high pick because of the youth. Adding a top 8ish pick to that group would give you a lot of options along with the cap space that would enable you to sign a very good vet.

Perhaps bucks pick next year, nets pick this year kpj, Christopher and one nets pick or no Christopher and two nets picks.

4. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I think I’m most excited to watch Purdue in March Madness. Ivey is just must see tv at this point.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/03/16/n...cts-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero-jabari-smith

Ivey made himself a national name with a breakout sophomore season and has put himself in position to be the first guard drafted, coming in at No. 4 on our most recent Big Board. He has a case as the best pure athlete in college basketball, coupling unusual open-court explosiveness with the ability to decelerate and change directions off of long strides. That makes him near-impossible to stop with a full head of steam, and generally negates the fact he doesn’t have much of a left hand. It’s easy to look at Ivey and see starry upside if he can evolve into a full-time lead guard, and he’ll have a physical advantage from day one in the NBA. He’s not a great defender, but he should be able to turn that on when he needs to.

Having said all that, it hasn’t all been smooth sailing for Ivey and his team this season. Purdue faces a tough pathway to the Final Four, presenting a runway for a major star turn from Ivey or conversely, a precipitous exit. It’s pretty hard to keep him out of transition, but it’s not all that complicated to gameplan for him in the halfcourt, which even weaker teams have been able to do this season. If opponents can slow the game down, the concepts are fairly simple: try and force Ivey left, show him bodies at the rim, and try to make him stop and think in the midrange, where he lacks a reliable jumper or floater and can be prone to turnovers. If you do that, you can live with the results. Ivey’s decision-making skills haven’t shown much improvement over the course of the season and his three-point shooting clip regressed to 35.6% after he made just 30.9% of them in conference play.

While you can argue his upside might put him at the very top of this draft class, NBA execs I’ve spoken with have grown more concerned with that aspect of Ivey’s game as the season has gone on. His body language and leadership have come into question at times, in addition to his decision-making in close games. Rightfully or not, the pressure situations Ivey will likely face in the tournament will put a magnifying glass on those habits, which have been a trend all season. If he’s able to lead Purdue to the second weekend and beyond, he might help himself on that front.

D-rock and i3artow i3aller like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

7. vator

vator Contributing Member

Another fun fact is although Jaden Ivey’s father doesn’t appear have been in his life much, he played WR in the NFL and his grandfather played in the NFL as well.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It would take a couple of opportune losses and then it is a 1 in 40 chance of happening.

9. Buck Turgidson

Update: He's pretty good

BigMaloe, roslolian and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. MystikArkitect

That move he pulled at the end where he just kicked in the afterburners and UT had no choice but to foul....geez. The thought of him and Green is tantalizing.

11. Buck Turgidson

From all I've seen this year, he's an all-around guy.

At worst he's your:

best wing/ball defender
    2nd best 3pt shooter
    2nd best distributor
    2nd best scorer
    3rd best rebounder
    1st best bball brains

you know...at worst?

MystikArkitect likes this.
  12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Jaden Ivey looked dam good, nice handling I see a lot of KPJ in him -
    But measurements on him are tricky
    I’ve seen 6’3 or 6’4
    With wingspan anywhere from 6’7 - 6’10

D. Wade 6’4 in a half 6’11 wingspan

#112 jimmyv281, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ivey is nothing like kpj

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ being a douche will hopefully take away any fear the Houston FO has of drafting Ivey.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We’ll see what he measures at officially, but the length is apparent on the screen to me. I would bet he’s on the higher end of that wingspan range.

16. i3artow i3aller

17. Joe Willie

Joe Willie Member

Ben Mathurin sure looked impressive against TCU.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Ivey looks the part compared to the others right now. If we could get Ivey and the Hologram together, and move Green, I would be happy with that. But either way, I would have no problem getting this guy. Holmey has potential, but hasn't really shown it. Banquero looks like every other power forward in the league.

D-rock likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

If the Rox got Jabari they should just trade every asset besides Green and Sengun for Ivey.

20. i3artow i3aller