1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabrari Smith Truly Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I know Jabrari is one of the most loved players on this board, but I can’t be the only one who thinks he is just awful when it comes to offense. I cringe every time he shoots and every time he dribbles or attempts to grab loose balls. I would bet against him making two free throws at the end of a game 100% of the time. He always appears to be thinking too much and trying too hard instead of letting the game come to him. He always turns the ball over or loses the handle when we need him the most. For a third pick in the draft, he rarely (if ever) just takes over a game and puts the team on his back and carries us. He is not a difference maker and in fact he loses many more games for us than he has ever won.

2. a time to chill

I think it's too early to say that since he's only in year 2. I just hope the Jalen Green conversation this year doesn't turn into the Jabari Smith conversation next year.

BallSoHarden, ramotadab and Corrosion like this.
  3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

A+ thread alert!!!! o_O

SuperKev, tagedieb, 34to11 and 6 others like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

5. Hive5

Hive5 Member

6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Jabrari Smith may suck, but I still have a lot of hope for JABARI Smith.

Also, while I appreciate the passion, does every single random thought need to be turned into a thread?

7. invocux

invocux Member

I was a massive hater of him last season i thought he was a bonafide bust but i think he took a small leap this season so i can't bash on him while he's improving. His one on one defense is incredible and he is a much better rebounder than last season. Also shoots better from the perimeter. I agree with people who think that he'll be a valuable 2 and D player but his limitations are so out there it's beyond how anyone can think he could be nothing more than a great role player. I think his ceiling is MPJ who plays defense. His shot creating ability is behind MPJ (he's not a great shot creator either but still) and i don't think he'll be as reliable as him from the perimeter. Healthy MPJ is over 40% 3pt shooter with high volume. Like every single year man guy is a sniper. However he'll be a better defender than MPJ. So overally his ceiling is somewhere around MPJ which is more than good enough to start on a contender.

However he's not good enough to be a #1 or #2 option on any NBA team. Sengun is slower than him but has better handles than Jabari. Although he looks less stiff going to the basket this season he absolutely shouldn't attack the rim. That's not good offense for us. They will snatch the ball out of his hand, he will travel and his fg% will drop. So we gotta use him as a catch and shooter nothing more than that. Some people on this forum say that he should take over 15 shots absolutely not him taking 16-17 shots is a nightmare for us. His dribbling is worse than MPJ, shot creation is worse than MPJ so why would we give him the ball and get out the way? MPJ takes 12-13 shots a game because it's better for Nuggets if he doesn't take 4 more shots. So basically if we play to his strengths he will be one of the best role players in the league if we don't ppl will start calling him a bust. Jabari's lows are just too low because he is a limited bb player.

So i think he'll never be a bust and we should use him properly to help him be one of the best role players in the league. He's not fun to watch at all. I hate watching him on the floor but when we limit him he flourishes i think. That being said obviously if he's hot from the perimeter you keep feeding him.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Apparently so.

I myself stopped appreciating the passion about 50 threads and 200 exclamation points ago.

9. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

I agree with alot of what you said. I also have to wonder what changed between summer league where he dominated and looked so confident.

I think Ime needs to implement a rule that NO ONE shoots 3's unless you're Cam, Holiday, or FVV.

I say that Jabari needs to post up. Hell, he's almost 7' y'all and has a high release. Who in the league sans Wemby could block his fadeaway? Jabari has an advantage every night he gets on the court. I don't understand why this team shoots 3's at all

ramotadab likes this.
  10. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Jabari is fine is trending fine to be a role player capable on starting on contending teams but I just don't see number 1 or even number 2 option in his skill set.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jabroni Ferrari.

Tfor3 likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is 20, long and lean and will be very good as a 3rd or 4th option role player.

DD

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

He has shown improvement on both ends this season. He is going through a rough patch at the moment, but I think we've pretty firmly established that he's a streaky player and he'll probably bounce back soon.

I still see him as an elite roleplayer type in his prime. And that's fine.

He shouldn't be viewed as untouchable, but overreacting to a bad stretch of games and saying he sucks is also unnecessary.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He's the damn tinman from oz, so stiff and unathletic, it's shocking!

16. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Bari 's shots this season-49 games

21 games with 11 or more shots
    7 games with 12 or more shots
    4 games with exactly 10 shots exactly
    20 games with 9 shots or less

ONLY Sengun with 9.3 rebounds per game averages more rebounds over the season than Jabari with 8.3. Most games he is getting double digit rebounds. After that Tari has averaged 7.0 in 22 games. No one else is close after that. Next is Amen with 5.3 in 34 games ( he is going to ba a monster though). Next is Jalen with 4.9.

Bari is the 7th best rebounding PF in the NBA this year....32nd best rebounder overall.(Alpy tied for 21st overall)..17th best Center).

Bari is the 9th best ISO defender, Uncle Jeff is 19th, Alpy 31st...there are no other Rockets in the Top 50. Bari has 13% of ISOs that turn into turnovers. There are 7 better TO percentages in the top 50.

We say we need better DEFENSE to win..... and, we do. I mean there are the numbers.

Offensively Bari has struggled...especially from 3 at times. However, he is shooting 46.5% overall. Not earthshaking but, not horrible and pitiful. 36.9 from 3 is a weakness. His overall shooting percentage is largely based on LOW VOLUME. Again 20 of his 49 games he has taken 9 shots or less.
    21 games with 11 or more (only 7 with 12 or more shots). When he shoots 60-70% it's like on 10-12 shots.

I say he should get more shots and they should be some kick out shots when he's WIDE OPEN and begging for the ball after the D has been sucked in. Is Bari the best thing since cotton underwear ? Uh No. Is he the pathetic stiff some here try to make him out to be ? No, he is not. If we don't want him, I think there might be some serious interest in a guy that brings what he brings. I hope we are not silly enough to do that. Yes, he is an Auburn guy but, I'm thinking overall from a Rockets standpoint as well. Our defense stinks...but, hey let's trade arguably our best defender...at least statistically.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

so... green + bari for cade and change or naw?

18. Buck Turgidson

If he's just Rockets Robert Horry, I think that'll be ok with me.

19. Holybats

Holybats Member

Bari is ok. He will be more consistent by the timeline.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A wooden stick figure version of Horry.

HardenReturns likes this.